Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Flashback: Did you play Pong using its TV console or as an arcade game?

Retired Community Manager

Flashback: Did you play Pong using its TV console or as an arcade game?

If you were a tennis fan in the 70s, it’s likely you played the classic Pong. Did you first play using its TV console or as an arcade game?

How Atari’s Pong Came to Be: Atari’s Pong was revolutionary despite its humble beginnings and simple graphics. Learn more about how the game was made!

Conversationalist

Like @nahchoo, we had, as far as I can tell, the Sears version.  Well, either Sears or a similar knockoff. 

Unlike, @nahchoo, however, I seem to recall the novelty wore off fairly soon and it was disconnected from the TV. It could be that Mom was sick and tired of having to reach behind the set to switch it back to regular TV and disconnected it herself.

It was probably another six or seven years before we got an Atari 2600 which was light years ahead of Pong!  And, today, of course, looking back — especially with the ridiculously realistic video games out now — it's all relative. 

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

I first played PONG in a bar that my Dad used to frequent and take me along when he did so. Times and rules were different in those days. Surely some of you remember? But later I played it in the arcades as well. I played it on my TV set too. I bought the Sears version because at the time, Sears was pretty innovative with those early consoles and I worked for Sears, so as an emplyee, I got 10% off. Great deal it was! It ended up though burning the playing screen into the CRT tube of the TV set. Not that it was a good or expensive one, just an old Black and White portable but I played so much that the lines were permanently burnt into the TV picture. Good, good memories, those are!   😊

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.
Retired Community Manager

Members, play this classic two-dimensional table tennis game by moving your paddle vertically across the screen to hit the ball back and forth against the opponent. Watch out for your opponent's serves and don't miss the ball, or your opponent scores a point. 11 points ends the game.  Play Atari Pong on AARP Games today!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP