Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Daily Crossword SEVERE Graphic Distortion - (Chrome Dark Mode)

Periodic Contributor

Daily Crossword SEVERE Graphic Distortion - (Chrome Dark Mode)

The new interface for the game - with Chrome in dark mode, text typed into the game is invisible.

The whole page appearance is terrible! 

PLEASE CHANGE IT BACK !

Retired Community Manager

Hello, @SamL540958 and @RichardT318178, our team tested this using Dark Mode (with Chrome browser) and are seeing Daily Crossword working properly with no issues across different devices as well. As a first step, the recommendation is to have you clear your entire cache. The thinking around that is you may have cookies or page state saved in cookies that are causing an issue with how the game is functioning and loading. Would you please give that a try and let me know if this resolves the issue? Thank you kindly! Lynne
Periodic Contributor

I tried that a few times. 

The AARP puzzle page is the only one on the internet that has that problem. Boatload Crossword puzzles (on their page) still works fine. 

There was another time when AARP tried to roll out the new puzzle format and I had the same issue. AARP reverted back to the old format until now. 

Do you see the image I uploaded to this thread (Columns 1-5 all contain the letter "Z")?

Hi, @SamL540958, yes, thank you, the image is helpful. Did you happen to take the steps of clearing the entire cache? Also, if you can provide more detail on which crossword/day this was that would help us to reproduce the issue. Many thanks!

Periodic Contributor

Windows 10 Home
Version: 21H2
Build: 19044.2486
Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

Chrome Version: 109.0.5414.75 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Windows is set to run "dark mode" globally. I see no setting in Chrome for dark mode. There are no extensions installed to enable Chrome "dark mode." 

Yes, I cleared the cache and entire history several times. 

It happens with every AARP interactive "Daily Crossword" puzzle since the format change. 

When the format was attempted to be changed late last year, it behaved the same. Thankfully AARP went back to the old, working format. 

Best Regards!

@SamL540958, thank you for sharing this detailed information. The team has been trying to reproduce the issue with various different dark mode solutions but have not been able to see the same issue. Just wanted you to know this is still being worked on; we'll keep you posted on anything we find.

Hi, @SamL540958, can you please provide a screenshot of your settings that show dark mode enabled, plus screenshots of your Chrome extensions/settings? Many thanks!

Periodic Contributor

Chrome_Extensions.jpgSettings_Color_Dark.jpg

Hi @SamL540958, thank you for the screenshots. These are very helpful as it confirms that Dark Mode is enabled on Windows but also it seems to show a dark mode extension called "Dark Reader".

Multiple members of our team confirmed that having Dark Mode enabled on Windows OS didn't seem to cause any issues with Chrome or other browsers. However, our team did highlight that the Dark Reader extension caused issues in other browsers. So it seems like this particular extension may be the root cause of the issue. Is it possible to have you disable this extension and try the game again to see if that causes the issue to stop?

Dark Reader ExtensionDark Reader Extension

Periodic Contributor

@AARPLynne - I had "dark reader" deactivated already, as can be seen in the picture I posted. I went so far as to uninstall that extension, as I never use it. Also, it is noted in the screenshot that, "No access needed. These extensions don't need to see and change information on this site." 

The crossword puzzle still looks like a negative image, with the typed in text still invisible. 

Thank you for your help!

Kudos
Views

@SamL540958, thanks for getting back to me and confirming that. Here's another thought, would you be open to trying a different browser to see if you get the same results? Can you also confirm the type of device you're using? Hoping we can solve this mystery for you! Thanks.

Periodic Contributor

MS Edge is not running in dark mode and the puzzle appears normal, and works.

With Edge set to run in dark mode, the AARP pages remain light and the puzzle works.  

ASUS laptop 

Windows 10 Home
Version: 21H2
Build: 19044.2486
Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

Chrome Version: 109.0.5414.75 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Hi, @SamL540958, good morning! Thanks again for taking the time to respond and share those details and for your willingness to try the game in another browser. I'm glad you've had success using Edge and I'm going to pass along your experience to the tech team.

Contributor

I agree the new format is terrible

Periodic Contributor

Columns 1-5 all contain the letter "Z"
CW puzzle with invisible text

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP