Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

Are you a puzzler?

Sometimes there's no substitute for an old-fashioned jigsaw puzzle. Some people like to look at the completed image only once. I really like to sort the colors and start with the corners. What's your approach to assembling a puzzle? Do you invite others to join you?

Periodic Contributor

I start at the top and work down so I can continuously push the puzzle away from me and there’s no straining to reach as I go.  And do anything I can to keeps the cats off it. 🐈 

lacytoo

I do my jigsaw puzzles online on a site called I'm a Puzzle. I work online puzzles the same way I work 3D jigsaws, I do the edges first, and, online jigsaw puzzles NEVER have any pieces missing!

Contributor

Like you Linda, I too do puzzles online at Free Jigsaw Puzzles. I also do the edges first and then work on the blue sky (if there is one), then move to the bottom and then fill in the middle. This was my favorite pasttime during the worst of the Pandemic and now I can't get enough! I especially love themes from the 30's, 40's & 50's!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I do the edges first, then separate the pieces by similar color or pattern. I live alone and do it online, but last year I received a puzzle for Christmas. What a difference between the two puzzle types! I can usually finish the online 300-piece puzzle in less than an hour. With the Christmas puzzle, it took me almost a month but, as one puzzler said, only when I was in the mood to do it. Either way, I love it! 

Contributor

I love jigsaw puzzles! 

I start with corners and edges. Then I separate the shapes. 

I play only 1,000 or more.

It may take me 2-3 weeks. But I only work on them when I'm in the mood.

Contributor

We just finished a 300 piece puzzle ...  on our kitchen counter!  The height was perfect & standing gave a better view of the entire expanse of pieces.  Maybe burned a few calories standing rather than sitting?  

Contributor

We do puzzles weekly. We start with the edges then my boyfriend usually starts with the top and I do the bottom most of the time. He will separate the colors or a theme going on in the puzzle. We finished a wooden puzzle recently. Boy was that interesting. The right piece just drops in. Many different shapes it was really challenging.

Contributor

I love puzzles. I buy the puzzle based on the theme of the room in my house. Begin with the edges and then with specific objects with the puzzle. Once completed, I glue the puzzle back and front, get the puzzle professionally framed and hang it on the wall.

I love puzzles as well. Once I’ve completed with my puzzle, I then frame and hang them in my small art/craft room.  I thought I was the only person who saved and framed my puzzle and always wondered what other puzzle lovers did with their completed puzzles.  I am glad I have found this community. 

Contributor

I do 1000piece puzzles.  I would like to know how you glue them and hang them?

0 Kudos
Contributor

They are great talking pieces. My guests do a double-take when I tell them the picture was a puzzle.  😊

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I try to start with the border and after spending a number of hours to find about six pieces, I put the puzzle back in the box and find something better to do.

My husband and I finished two weeks or so ago, that was a complete puzzler as the shapes were unusual but the Yellowstone morning glory pool was beautiful upon completion.  I'm losing my eyesight so this helps with challenging me to place items the first time. 

Contributor

It’s been a while but actually a great way for exercising the eyes and measuring patience to see where my interest level is at the present.

@aundrear55772, that's a really interesting way of approaching puzzles!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@AARPLynne  I love jigsaw puzzles. However, have not been able to do them in a long time. My cats think they are toys.  😼  Would love to still do them again. They are even fun to do multiple times. With the advent of online puzzles, I can still do them occasionally here on AARP. 

@Vexed, that is so funny and endearing at the same time! They're trying to help LOL!

• My favorite I did was the presidents and celebrities at the beach
  • anyone seen it?
0 Kudos

No, I have not.  It sounds amusing.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP