Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

AARP SongTheme™ FAQs

What is AARP SongTheme™?

AARP’s new activity, AARP SongTheme™, is song-matching fun and a great way to build playlists with the help of your peers. Try your hand at submitting a unique song to match one of ten themes, then listen to sound clips. You can also see what your peers have also submitted. As an AARP Member, you can add your successful submissions and those of the community to your playlist—all through the power of Spotify®. As a final benefit, each day you can earn AARP Rewards points for submitting three unique songs. So, start the music and have some healthy fun today!

If I don't have Spotify, can I play AARP SongTheme™?

Yes, you can! You can enter songs as long as you are registered and logged in on AARP.org. Don't have a registered AARP online account on AARP.org? Get started today

Why can’t I listen to a song clip?

Not all song selections have sound clips on Spotify. If you’re unable to play the song, it’s because the 30 second clip is unavailable.

Can I submit the same song as one of my peers?

AARP SongTheme™ requires unique song submissions, so duplicates are not considered as successful submissions. To provide more opportunity to submit songs, peer submissions are refreshed every 12-hours.

How do I access AARP SongTheme™?

AARP SongTheme is located in AARP’s Online Community. Remember, you will need to be registered and logged in on AARP.org to enter songs. If you would like to earn AARP Rewards points for playing each day, make sure you are signed up with the AARP Rewards loyalty program. Registering and activating are quick, easy, and free!

Who can earn AARP Rewards points while playing?

Anyone who is an active AARP Rewards participant can earn points for submitting three songs successfully. Earn points daily for matching songs—what could be more fun? Not part of AARP Rewards yet? Get started for free

How many AARP Rewards points can I earn for this activity?

If you are not an AARP Members, you will earn 100 AARP Rewards points daily for successfully entering three songs AARP Members get 50% more AARP Rewards points—150 points daily. Look for the AARP Rewards badge on the game for the point value indicator. 

How often can I earn AARP Rewards points by playing?

You can earn AARP Rewards points once a day, so make AARP SongTheme™ part of your daily routine!

Can I play AARP SongTheme on my mobile phone or tablet?

Yes, you can! This online activity is available on all devices—desktops, laptops, tablets, and smart phones. To optimize your experience, please play in one browser at a time to ensure the activity keeps an accurate count of your submissions. Also, keep in mind that submitted songs get refreshed at noon and midnight Eastern Time, so if you’re aiming to submit three (3) songs in a day to earn AARP Rewards points, it’s best to do before the refresh.  If you submit songs on different devices, each device will count your submissions separately. However, AARP Rewards points will be limited to the once a day maximum, regardless of how many songs are submitted from multiple devices. Please see our Minimum System Requirements to be sure your device is up to date.

Still have questions?

Get support by phone from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET weekdays by calling 866-839-0463, get AARP Help online, or look for answers in our community forums.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello All, 

We know there were some inconsistencies in functionality with SongTheme in the Fall. We are happy to report that all was corrected before the new year and things are up and running without any hiccups. We apologize for the inconvenience and we hope to see you back having fun - submitting and listening to sounds. And hey, you can even earn rewards daily!

Regular Contributor

I submit the name of a song.  I see it.  I click the arrow -- No music and no points.

Periodic Contributor

I received no points either

Periodic Contributor

Ok, folks. I had issues initially when this Song Theme game was first released. It took them about a week or so to stabilize it. But it works. What they didn't do it tell anyone how to use it. So I will now tell you.

When the game page finishes loading, you should see a widget box on the lower right corner of your screen. If you don't see that, then you won't get points for Rewards. Try reloading the page.

1. 'Select a theme.' When you click one of those, read the description under the header 'My Song Selections.' You can switch before making song selections.

2. 'My Song Selection.' Type in the box the title (or artist) of a song you want to add. Minimum 5 characters. The box will expand to show you 4 choices. If you want to see more choices, click 'See All' at the bottom right of the results box.

3. If the song you pick hasn't been selected by someone else in the current cycle, then it's added to your list.
If it tells you 'Another player has already submitted you song', then select another. Cycles are refreshed every hour.

4. Do #3 until you get 3 songs on your list successfully.

5. Once you get 3 on your list, the widget at the bottom right should tell you you've been awarded 150 points.

Keep in mind:
1. You can only earn one reward per calendar day on this game, as with most Rewards games.
2. You do NOT need Spotify to play this game. The game uses the Spotify database, hence the cross promotion.
3. Clicking the 'play' button on a song may or may not play a 30-second sample of it.
4. If you have Spotify, you can add the song to your list by clicking the 'list+' button on the right of the song box. Again, you don't have to do this for the game.

Hope this all helps.

Periodic Contributor

I do everything you say but no points are rewarded. Nothing for a couple of weeks now.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I posted in the comments on the main game page, but it's worth posting here again. About 2 weeks ago, the widget that tracks the games and awards the points stopped loading when Song Theme was launched. I first reported it to Arkadium, but they said since it wasn't the game itself, there was little they could to. I then reported it to AARP Rewards (by way of AARP Customer Care at 1-888 687 2277). So far, no fix. I suggest reporting it to them as well. The more calls they receive, the faster it will be addressed. 
So the game itself works as intended. It's the point awards that is broken.

Good luck.

Contributor

I don't understand how you get the 150 reward points. I have entered songs several times under the different categories and the system appears to accept them, but I never get the points. This morning I did it again and submitted 5 songs and they just sat there and no points. How do you actually get the points?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Hello. First of all, make sure you allow 'cookies.'  I just played and received 150 points (see image below). I have not maxed out earn points today (meaning, I have not watched videos, or have done any quizzes to max out my earn points), so if you already maxed on earn points, maybe that's why you're not being credited the 150 points. It's a boost, but maybe it adheres to the daily earned max rules. Also, it depends on how unique a song is, and whether it has been added to Spotify. I typed in a song and saw it in the drop-down, selected that song, and it took in lines 1, 2, and 3. I earned 150 points because my songs were added to the playlist, so it seems.

scored 150 points.png

Trusted Contributor

I understand you have to provide song titles unique to the chosen theme, but how do you know if a song title has already been used? I know there's a pop-up that tells you a song you just entered is already taken & it prompts you to make a new entry, and I managed to get 5 entries submitted but no points. The FAQs says members must enter unique titles to earn points and can see what others have chosen, but I can find no way to do so. It automatically lists the 5 most recent entries, but that's it. Why waste my time coming up with 5 song titles then getting no points?! I posted this elsewhere & was given an adjustment for the missing points - but it was suggested I post this here to ask if there is a way to see ALL the entries for a given day? If so, please explain HOW.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Below the recent entries, press the Spotify button. It will take you to all of the songs on the playlist.

But get this: It is full, and I do mean full, of duplicates. It takes forever to scroll through the titles, especially if the category has been there for a while. 

The first time I played, it wouldn’t let me duplicate a title already chosen. It would automatically reject them. That’s not happening now. Yesterday, I chose 5 songs, and at least 3, maybe 4, were all multiple entries.

I don’t play for the points, I was just doing it for fun. So I don’t know whether I got any points on the duplicates, but it sure does make for a clumsy playlist!

So Moderator, how does this work?

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Trusted Contributor

Thank you for that information! I did read somewhere in my search for "how to"  that duplicates would be cleared from the entries every 12 hours - guess that's not happening after all.

Contributor

I filled out all categories online from the email link. I just opened the app to check points and all the categories are filled but not the songs I picked!?!? How does that happen? And apparently I got ZERO POINTS to boot!!!

Contributor

Having fun with SongTheme! Will new themes/categories be introduced occasionally? I'd love to see '70s, '90s, Holiday/Travel, and Cover Songs.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes, we will be introducing new themes and categories and love your ideas too!  Thanks for sharing!

AARPTeri
0 Kudos

I was excited to play this game because of the music theme and how diverse my taste i music I thought it would be fun. I can’t figure out how to play this or enter a song.  It just takes me to my own Spotify play lists nothing to do with aarp or playing the game.  Too complicated so I am out.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

Why do I have 5 songs listed as "my" songs under a number of themes when I never played the game before?  Especially since some of the songs I'm not even familiar with?

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Community Manager

The top section is "my selection" (maximum 5 titles) and the bottom section contains the selections of other players.  We recommend clearing cache and using the most recent browser version and see if it still shows that way.  Let us know.

AARPTeri
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I accidentally added a song that I do not know, and I can’t remove it! Be careful when you’re scrolling through title choices below the search box. It seems to be very sensitive to touch, and there is no way to confirm your choice, or remove a wrong selection. 😖

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Contributor

hello how do i submit songs?

Kudos
Views

Hi, @LindaC581596, songs are submitted by following these steps. There isn't a submit button per se, it's the action of clicking your song choice from Search Results that adds it to your "song selections". 

- Select a Theme;
- Enter a song title;
- From the search results, click the song title of your choosing; and
- Your unique song is added to "My Song Selections"

1) Select a Theme; 2) Enter a song title1) Select a Theme; 2) Enter a song title
3) Click song title; and 4) Song is added to "My Song Selections"3) Click song title; and 4) Song is added to "My Song Selections"

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I can't play because I don't do Spotify. I'd be happy to join in if you can find a way to just let me use my own personal song library.

Contributor

It seems you must log in (lower right) *again* to be able to play. Spotify wasn't needed. I too was stuck.

Hi, @DenisO61777 and DavidT298696, thanks for your questions! As @CherylH648753 mentions, there isn't a submit button per se. It's the action of clicking your song choice from Search Results that adds it to your "song selections". Songs are submitted by following these steps:

- Select a Theme;
- Enter a song title;
- From the search results, click the song title of your choosing; and
- Your unique song is added to "My Song Selections"

1) Select a Theme; 2) Enter a song title1) Select a Theme; 2) Enter a song title
3) Click song title; and 4) Song is added to "My Song Selections"3) Click song title; and 4) Song is added to "My Song Selections"

Periodic Contributor

It seems that since my original post on 2/17, they have fixed the game. I now see the search box and after finding 3 songs, I get the points. Thanks to all for their contributions. 

Hi @DenisO61777, thanks for confirming!

Contributor

Hi Lynne, I can select a theme, but there’s no place to type in the name of a song. There is only one search box to type in , and it pulls up internet entries, not songs, in response to what I type. Any tips?

Hi @SusanH238460, once you select a theme and type the name of your song choice, click on the song from the search results. Here's a screenshot of what you should see, for example:

Untitled.png

Honored Social Butterfly

Wheee! I'm on a roll! 😉 However, I've found a typo...

typo.png

This is fun, though! 🙂

Good catch, @KellytheBelly, thanks for the edit!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP