Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

AARP SongTheme™ FAQs

What is AARP SongTheme™?

AARP’s new activity, AARP SongTheme™, is song-matching fun and a great way to build playlists with the help of your peers. Try your hand at submitting a unique song to match one of ten themes, then listen to sound clips. You can also see what your peers have also submitted. As an AARP Member, you can add your successful submissions and those of the community to your playlist—all through the power of Spotify®. As a final benefit, each day you can earn AARP Rewards points for submitting three unique songs. So, start the music and have some healthy fun today!

If I don't have Spotify, can I play AARP SongTheme™?

Yes, you can! You can enter songs as long as you are registered and logged in on AARP.org. Don't have a registered AARP online account on AARP.org? Get started today

Why can’t I listen to a song clip?

Not all song selections have sound clips on Spotify. If you’re unable to play the song, it’s because the 30 second clip is unavailable.

Can I submit the same song as one of my peers?

AARP SongTheme™ requires unique song submissions, so duplicates are not considered as successful submissions. To provide more opportunity to submit songs, peer submissions are refreshed every 12-hours.

How do I access AARP SongTheme™?

AARP SongTheme is located in AARP’s Online Community. Remember, you will need to be registered and logged in on AARP.org to enter songs. If you would like to earn AARP Rewards points for playing each day, make sure you are signed up with the AARP Rewards loyalty program. Registering and activating are quick, easy, and free!

Who can earn AARP Rewards points while playing?

Anyone who is an active AARP Rewards participant can earn points for submitting three songs successfully. Earn points daily for matching songs—what could be more fun? Not part of AARP Rewards yet? Get started for free

How many AARP Rewards points can I earn for this activity?

If you are not an AARP Members, you will earn 100 AARP Rewards points daily for successfully entering three songs AARP Members get 50% more AARP Rewards points—150 points daily. Look for the AARP Rewards badge on the game for the point value indicator. 

How often can I earn AARP Rewards points by playing?

You can earn AARP Rewards points once a day, so make AARP SongTheme™ part of your daily routine!

Can I play AARP SongTheme on my mobile phone or tablet?

Yes, you can! This online activity is available on all devices—desktops, laptops, tablets, and smart phones. To optimize your experience, please play in one browser at a time to ensure the activity keeps an accurate count of your submissions. Also, keep in mind that submitted songs get refreshed at noon and midnight Eastern Time, so if you’re aiming to submit three (3) songs in a day to earn AARP Rewards points, it’s best to do before the refresh.  If you submit songs on different devices, each device will count your submissions separately. However, AARP Rewards points will be limited to the once a day maximum, regardless of how many songs are submitted from multiple devices. Please see our Minimum System Requirements to be sure your device is up to date.

Still have questions?

Get support by phone from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET weekdays by calling 866-839-0463, get AARP Help online, or look for answers in our community forums.

Periodic Contributor

If you're having trouble submitting a song, I was able to get it to work by trying a different browser. Firefox did not give me the option to submit a song, but Microsoft Edge did. I don't use Google, but since Edge is a Chromium browser, I would guess that Chrome would work as well. Here is a screenshot of the page from Edge.

aarp.png

Periodic Contributor

The "enter song title'' box appears in some, but not all, themes.  I was able to enter 3 songs, 2 in one theme and 1 in another theme.   In other rewards games, a pop up message appears saying I earned rewards points, but not in song theme.   I saw an instruction that I need to enter 3 songs to earn points.   Either the "3" is wrong (perhaps a typo), or the instructions are unclear and you need to enter all songs under one theme, or it's broken.

Hi @DavidM940586, that's correct, anyone who is an active (logged in) AARP Rewards participant can earn points for submitting three songs successfully. You can enter songs from one or more themes. In this example, my first two songs were  from the theme Love, then I finished the activity by choosing a song from Heartbreak. I've highlighted the Rewards badge that appears and the confirmation messaging in the lower right-hand corner:
AARP RewardsAARP Rewards

Contributor

Why don't I have a search box under the My Song Selection box? I have the list of 5 songs then the What a Great Song box. I can't submit a song without that correct?

Hi @KeithK808557, if you haven't entered 5 songs in a theme (and you're not seeing the search box), I recommend that you clear your cache. It's also important to double-check the Minimum System Requirements, especially when it comes to your browser of choice. Will you let me know if that solves things for you? Thanks!

Periodic Contributor

Seems like I saw something saying I earned points, but you can see the Song Theme rewards in your Rewards Transaction History.

Transaction History for your AARP Rewards points

Thanks for sharing that tip, @CambrianX. Here's a copy of the messaging that appears when earning your Rewards Points:
AARP RewardsAARP Rewards

Periodic Contributor

I checked my rewards transaction history, but songtheme wasn't listed.  The 2 trivia games and 3 crossword puzzles that I played were listed.  I'm using the AARPnow app which I believe uses Chrome.  When I encountered the problem, I saw the enter songs box.  It took a bit for the page to load and when it was finished loading there were a bunch of song titles. I scrolled down and down and down and down and saw a text box with "search". I entered a song title and got results from the AARP community.   When I looked at song theme today, the list of titles is missing and the "enter song titi" box is visible.  My hypothesis is that the list of song titles overloaded the slot allotted to them and hid the text box.   The similarity between the song title text box and AARP community search text box was coincidence.

Hi @DavidM940586, thanks for letting us know about this. Are you still experiencing the same thing or was it a one-time occurrence? If you meet the Minimum System Requirements and are still having trouble, please try clearing your cache on your Android or iPhone devices.

Periodic Contributor

I'm starting to get the hang of Song theme.   The top section is "my selection" (maximum 5 titles) and the bottom section contains the selections of other players.  You must enter a title that has not already been selected.  If someone else has already selected the title, you can't use it.   The part l don't understand is why the "my selection" portion has been prefilled with 5 titles, and hiding the "enter song title" text box.  Today there was only 1 theme that was not prefilled with 5 titles.  

Hi @DavidM940586, that's great! I'm just curious, did you have a chance to try clearing your cache to see if that brings back the area to "enter song title"?

Periodic Contributor

I missed the tip to clear my cache, so I didn't try it.  I noticed when I went back in today that the My selection section is clear.   If it prefills again, I'll try your tip and let you know.  Thanks.

Sounds good, @DavidM940586, thank you!

Contributor

Chrome worked for me, but Firefox did not.

Contributor

How do you submit songs? This isn’t explained and there’s no obvious way to do it.

Periodic Contributor

@DavidT298696 See my response above

Periodic Contributor

It is truly not clear HOW a song gets submitted in this 'game' in order to earn points. I can search and choose songs (although not in every category) but I don't see anything that allows me to submit. Where am I submitting? When I click the button to add to a personal Spotify playlist, it opens a new tab on my browser, for each song. Nothing about this makes sense. Please help make this clearer.

Periodic Contributor

@DenisO61777 See my response above

Contributor

There isn't a submit button. You search for the song, and if you find it in the list, click on it. If someone has already submitted that song, a message will tell you that you need to select a different song. Otherwise, it will tell you something like "Great choice!" and that is that. Do this three times and you will get your reward points.

I did have trouble when using a browser that does not have DRM enabled, but after I switched to a DRM- and Spotify-friendly browser, it worked.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP