Take 25 percent off the cost of the award-winning AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code ‘BHM’ for savings.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Bless Our Brave

Message 1 of 27

Overnight these little people that we diaper and celebrate birthdays with become adults. My only grandchild, Andy, is now 26. The doctor handed him to me when he took his first breaths and, as he continued to grow, I never missed an important event or game. I took carloads of his friends to Paintball or out for pizza and even had study groups at my kitchen table. I recall a particular high school football game when a parent sat down beside me and asked if I had anyone on the field that day. I proudly pointed out my grandson (#20), his stepdad (linesman), his mother (team mom), and my son, one of the assistant coaches. My husband had recently passed away otherwise he would have been on his feet cheering loudly for the team. They were best “buds.”

Andy has been home from Afghanistan for a year. Yesterday, he told me that he volunteered to return to the Middle East in January 2019. I don’t fully understand it, but I respect his decision. I am so grateful for all that our brave men and women do for our country.

So, forgive me for using this platform to ask -- for every one of our veterans, at home or abroad, please think of them. Whether you are washing dishes, watching television or changing the oil in your car, please give them your thoughts. Even the simplest prayer in the moment for their safety and courage will help. Thank you.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Your "grandest" stories

Message 2 of 27

My Granddaughter has a habit of saying I'm bored when she has had her 1/2 hour of using her cell phone. When you're with Grandma for the summer that's all the time you get daily which I actually think is too much. I said to my Granddaughter since you're bored let's look at a movie, she said ok. I turned on TCM which shows many movies in black & white. She said, Grandma why is the movie in gray & white. I briefly explained to her that this is what TV looked like when I was a girl her age. This is the beautiful part. She said Grandma I would rather read a book. It works everytime.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 27

After having a healthy biological son, we decided to adopt our next child.  Why?  Because in those days (early 1960s) birth control wasn't very good, and lots of pregnant women were giving up their babies. Sooner than we'd anticipated, when my older son was 20 months old, we got a call that our new son had been born, and since he was healthy we could pick him up the next morning.  Fast forward 35 years and my younger son met a woman who had a 7 year old daughter.  From the beginning the little girl called me Mawmaw.  Three years later my son and the little girl's mother married, which meant the little girl was officially my granddaughter, and I was her "real" mawmaw.  Fast forward again and my granddaughter is now 25 years old and teaches second grade.  She entered a contest at the college from which she got her bachelor's degree and won a scholarship to study online for her master's degree.  She sends me pictures of her apartment, her new dog, her classroom - all sorts of things, and she still calls me Mawmaw.  By the way, she's my only grandchild.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 27
Our granddaughter asked Grandpa,   "You used to be a teacher?" 
"Yes I was. "
"So now you're a parent again?"
she was 4. 

And  our grandson who lives in California said, "My favorite thing about New York City is the Eiffel Tower because of the big clock on it"- he was 4. 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 27

What a delightful story! You have created an enduring and wonderful memory for your grandchildren. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 27

We have 3 grandsons, each year as they reached age 5 I would play the movie the Goonies for each one, then take them out into the yard and stumble on a treasure map that was left by Captain Goodheart showing the way to a treasure. The first year Grandson #1 found the map, and armed with shovel we followed the map ( we have 40 acres). After coming to x marks the spot, he dug it up and we took the treasure back to the house he was so excited as he opened up his Treasure. The next year we did the same thing for Grandson #2. Movie,map, and with shovel in hand on to find the treasure. Well this Grandson was so excited about his treasure when when we got back to the house, he grabbed the shovel, grabbed Grandpa and said “let’s go there has got to be more out there. Grandson #3 we did the same sinareo, but when we got back to the house he put his treasure on a shelf never even opening it. Then he started asking his parents over an over again, “when are we going home?” It came time for them to leave #3 picked up his treasure got in the vehicle with rest of the family we said our good byes and they drove away. Well according to his Mom they weren’t even out of the driveway and #3 got so excited and tore in to his treasure admiring all his treasure. His Mom asked him way didn’t you do that at Grandmas, his answer was, are you kidding Grandma would have wanted half!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Your "grandest" stories

Message 7 of 27

From my second wife comes a daughter that has two kids-Hunter and Taylor. I don't care much for Hunter as this kid usually acts like an **bleep**, but Taylor is really more desirable to me in many ways and options!

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 27

@Phxboss wrote:

My eldest grandson turne316998_10150309718760303_1202743566_n.jpgDoing homework, erasing a pencil mark.d 14 in January. He lived with me until he was 12 years old. He has been exceptional from the moment of his birth. While I was holding him in the delivery room, he raised his head up (shocking!), looking at every machine and everybody in the room to see who had done this to him. He made this infant huffing noise. My mother said he was singing. I knew he was complaining and I knew this was no ordinary child. He was 23 1/2" at birth. His 1st week he was rolling over front to back and back to front. No sleeping on his back for him! He refused to lay back in the infant carrier in stores pushing himself to a sitting position. I would wrap a blanket around him to secure him. People gave us the weirdest stares. He was only weeks old!

I began taking him on walks, letting him touch and smell everything and told him what they were, trying to enrich his brain power. He was talking words at 4 months and full sentences by 11 months. By 6 months old he was climbing out of his crib and to the top of all furniture to reach the windows to sit and look outside, or to get up to wherever I was done something. I knew he wasn't safe so I pushed my bed against the wall and had him sleep next to me so I would know when he woke up. My daughter said he never left the bed but would sit and stare at me, waiting for me to wake up.

Now, he is quite the intellectual, earning college credits in math and science. He has been awarded a full scholarship into a private high school. He makes the highest grades in school and he is still physically athletic in all sports. This is the most amazing person I've ever known. Do not ever ask him a question unless you want the long version! He has been tested and has a high IQ, his academic scores place him in the top 98 percentile. He is friendly, kind and good. He has a special presence about him. Now in 8th grade, he is already 6ft tall and will have to shave when begins high school next year. They insist on students being clean shaven. Some things boggle the mind.

He will do great things, of this I have no doubt. He is blessed with God-given talent in so many areas. I'm so proud to have the honor of raising him and having the bond we share. He has never been pushed into anything. It is all him. (He taught me how to play chess at 11 years old :-) . He seems to learn by osmosis. He just knows things. And yet, he is still a kid, loving videos games, video games and video games...that and he so proud of letting gas and clearing a room...yes, he is still a kid and I'm so glad about that!

Almost 2 years ago my daughter decided to get out of Arizona for a change. She took my 4 grand-loves with her. My heart is broken, my joy has been taken away. My oldest grandson still calls me at least 3 times a week. The other wonderful loves of my life write me or call me a couple times a week, sending me selfies all the time.

If my daughter ever stops moving around, I hope to join them, but not until she and her husband finally plant themselves. By then, though my grand-loves may have already come back here. They say they will. My oldest grandson is very interested in going to ASU for their excellent science and engineering programs. I'm so proud of all of them. They are good people. I miss their hugs, going on nature walks, playing board games, art projects and watching them play video games. But I'm truly blessed for knowing this true unconditional love.

by Nanaboss (he began calling me nana at 4 months old)

Dear  Nanaboss,

I truly enjoyed reading your post.  I could hear the pride and joy you have concerning your grandchildren especially your oldest gift.  I read your story and smiled as I continued to the end.  And in particular, I love your name for them--grand-loves.  I know you miss them since they moved away,  but your love and care will always stay with them.  They will not forget and believe they will be back!  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 27

well HubertG587598, we're listening...go ahead and tell it. : )

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 27

I can relate to the young man's story. It is amazing how much our grand children knows these days. I wish I could get my story out there.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views