Are you a caregiver? Tell us how you plan your getaway with loved ones for a chance to enter a weekly prize drawing.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Your "grandest" stories

Message 11 of 17

My eldest grandson turne316998_10150309718760303_1202743566_n.jpgDoing homework, erasing a pencil mark.d 14 in January. He lived with me until he was 12 years old. He has been exceptional from the moment of his birth. While I was holding him in the delivery room, he raised his head up (shocking!), looking at every machine and everybody in the room to see who had done this to him. He made this infant huffing noise. My mother said he was singing. I knew he was complaining and I knew this was no ordinary child. He was 23 1/2" at birth. His 1st week he was rolling over front to back and back to front. No sleeping on his back for him! He refused to lay back in the infant carrier in stores pushing himself to a sitting position. I would wrap a blanket around him to secure him. People gave us the weirdest stares. He was only weeks old!

I began taking him on walks, letting him touch and smell everything and told him what they were, trying to enrich his brain power. He was talking words at 4 months and full sentences by 11 months. By 6 months old he was climbing out of his crib and to the top of all furniture to reach the windows to sit and look outside, or to get up to wherever I was done something. I knew he wasn't safe so I pushed my bed against the wall and had him sleep next to me so I would know when he woke up. My daughter said he never left the bed but would sit and stare at me, waiting for me to wake up.

Now, he is quite the intellectual, earning college credits in math and science. He has been awarded a full scholarship into a private high school. He makes the highest grades in school and he is still physically athletic in all sports. This is the most amazing person I've ever known. Do not ever ask him a question unless you want the long version! He has been tested and has a high IQ, his academic scores place him in the top 98 percentile. He is friendly, kind and good. He has a special presence about him. Now in 8th grade, he is already 6ft tall and will have to shave when begins high school next year. They insist on students being clean shaven. Some things boggle the mind.

He will do great things, of this I have no doubt. He is blessed with God-given talent in so many areas. I'm so proud to have the honor of raising him and having the bond we share. He has never been pushed into anything. It is all him. (He taught me how to play chess at 11 years old :-) . He seems to learn by osmosis. He just knows things. And yet, he is still a kid, loving videos games, video games and video games...that and he so proud of letting gas and clearing a room...yes, he is still a kid and I'm so glad about that!

Almost 2 years ago my daughter decided to get out of Arizona for a change. She took my 4 grand-loves with her. My heart is broken, my joy has been taken away. My oldest grandson still calls me at least 3 times a week. The other wonderful loves of my life write me or call me a couple times a week, sending me selfies all the time.

If my daughter ever stops moving around, I hope to join them, but not until she and her husband finally plant themselves. By then, though my grand-loves may have already come back here. They say they will. My oldest grandson is very interested in going to ASU for their excellent science and engineering programs. I'm so proud of all of them. They are good people. I miss their hugs, going on nature walks, playing board games, art projects and watching them play video games. But I'm truly blessed for knowing this true unconditional love.

by Nanaboss (he began calling me nana at 4 months old)

DJMcCune
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 17

I have two beautiful grandaughters.  One is 20 and the other is 16.  One is a little out of control and the other is very well behaved.  One is like her grandmother - a little out there and a bit of a hell-raiser, and the other wouldn't break the rules for anything.  One of them has decided she's going to prove to the world she's right, and the other worries about making things right.  I adore them both as different as they may be.  It's really awful when you see your grandchild make the same mistakes you made, but in your heart you know she'll be strong enought to right all of the mistakes - just like I did.  My other grandaughter will always do her best to make it alright - she's just like my sister - always trying to make it better.  In the end I love them both very much, and don't envy what they will go through to get to where they're going.  I'll be there for both of them as they climb their way to the top.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 17

We were picking up our grandchildren ages 4 1/2 & 3 1/2 to have a 'sleepover' with us and attend a play, "Jack & Phil" the following day.   We all woke up and as we were eating breakfast I told the grandkids we needed to 'get ready to go see the play.'  Our 4 1/2 year old grandson, Maddox, looked at me and said, "No, mama & daddy said the play is 'tomorrow.'"    :-)   (I think 'yesterday and tomorrow' are difficult concepts to understand, as well as, explain to young children.)

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 17
Just a bit of bragging. ...I just became a great grandmother on 2/15/18 he came early...not due till April 10th.....3lbs. 2oz. But thank God he's healthy and we're all happy.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 17
When l read this story I had to laugh, it brought back memories of my own son when he was in the second grade. His handwriting was so bad and when the teacher asked him about it he replied. .." I can't help it, my pencil is wild." I guess Art Linklater was right, kids say the darkest things.
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 17

My grandson Matthew is 12 now, but a couple years back I was asking him if he had done his homework.  Which his usual reply was "yes."  But this time he said, "No."  I asked, Why not?

"Cause it's still in the pencil?"  I had to hold back my emotions and I said, "Well, when  do you think it will come out on the paper?"  He said grabbing up his homework, "Now, it's definitely coming out now".

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Your "grandest" stories

Message 17 of 17

Share your stories of your grandchildren here!  We know how much grandparents love to brag and we want to hear all about it!  Tell us your fun stories about your grandchildren!

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies