Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Where do you meet people to date?

Retired Community Manager

Where do you meet people to date?

Have you tried online dating? Dating agencies? Singles events? If so, what were your results?

Do you have a good tip on where you've met someone special? Share it with your story here.

Hello everyone,

Please remember to post according to the community guidelines, and refrain from insults or inflammatory comments.

Also, please be welcoming of new posters, even when you argue with their positions.

The subject is "Where do you meet people to date?"

Thank you for your cooperation in making the AARP Community a safe and welcoming place for all.
http://community.aarp.org/t5/custom/page/page-id/Guidelines

Periodic Contributor

On here, sometimes we need to specify who we are and what we are looking for. I am 56 y.o. female nurse looking to meet men in the Massachusetts area. I am new to the area and welcome the friendship, perhaps, an introduction to the area.

Bronze Conversationalist

You lost 3 years already... good luck!

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

hello, I was GRIEVING.

Bronze Conversationalist

That was @DeeDeeD830889 I was replying to, sorry for the misunderstanding & your loss. 

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

My sister's mother-in-law met (re-met) a nice man at her high school class reunion.

I recently had my first date since my husband died three years ago.

I was advised to avoid online dating.  

I sort of looked up an old friend and told him I'd like to see him at our upcoming 40th class reunion.  We went to the reunion together and just yesterday had a concert date and had a great time.

Bronze Conversationalist

Great for you, I found that at the reunions, the cliques still exist. I just passed last month on my (delayed) 40th reunion. I graduated with 761, you were either "in" or just a #.    Nice if you were in a smaller class & still stayed in touch, my only contact from that class passed last April.  

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I wasn't with the "in crowd".  I think people get over that childish stuff or at least they should!

Bronze Conversationalist

They haven't, still appear to play the childish games they did in High School.  Reunions are for those who have made something out of themselves, & those who lie about it, I don't fall into either category. 

I've pretty much had it with online dating, I no longer have the energy to play those games, funny how folks think they are going to live on forever & sabotage their own happiness in the process.  

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Reunions are a place to reunite and have fun.

Bronze Conversationalist

Looking back, that would be the last group I'd ever want to reunite with.  Such an arrogant & narcissistic clique in attendance.  Though still fun to look at the pictures & seeing how some are no longer holding their own. 😉

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

You're such a positive person.

Regular Contributor

My friend met her husband through an online dating site.

Super Contributor

Is it possible to start a dating forum and/or post from the current date and stop revisiting dates prior to a new one???

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

It would be nice to meet someone at church (over 55).

Periodic Contributor

I am 53 y.o female. I thought that I would stress that. 🙂 I, do go to church frequently.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist

I would be very apprehensive to start a conversation with anyone at church. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

At the golf course have met many nice men there some have led to great rounds of golf, great dinners and terrific sex.

Bronze Conversationalist

Darn, & I got rid of those clubs too. 😕

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Was that regular or miniature golf that you speak of? And what did you have for dinner? I'm so very curious! Oh and did you enjoy many nice dinners with these many nice men? Hmmm?

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Good to know. 😄

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hello!  I met my husband through an online dating site August 2005.  We chatted online and then the phone every day for 6 months before meeting in person as he lived far away.  Long story short, he moved closer in April 2006,  and we dated until Dec 2007 when we married.  We are still going strong!

I think meeting people though dating sites on the web is fine but be careful and take your time.

Contributor

Be careful if a dating agency. Ones with contract  for number of dates, glamour shots and advice claiming only send you on dates that match your profile...as a women!!!

I paid for 2 different ones. Matched potential men with my profile was a joke!  Then learned, men over 50 pay nearly nothing for service as company was desperate to fulfill all the demand from older women!!.  Instead they promised to complete 2-3 dates per week.  Complained waste of my time and got response from 1 agency. "You need to be more open minded as you never know who might be right for you."  

Trusted Contributor

Smile, give people your email address, communicate, talk, share and have fun. Remember it takes time to connect and first impressions are usually clouded by anxiety, past disappointments or misunderstanding.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Contributor

The problem is we stop ourselves from connecting
Super Contributor

Dating sites are a waste of time. Been there...done that. There are far more FAKE MEN than not today. WHERE ARE THE REAL TRUE AUTHENTIC MEN TODAY??? I just want ONE MAN to love for the rest of my days.
Regular Contributor

Read your post....Totally agree with you!  I wish you good luck in your quest to find someone special!!!!

Regular Contributor

Just brouseing and this subject caught my interest. I too wonder where to meet legitimate (people) men for dating. Not a lot of men at my church, just women in my travel group, men at my pt job all married. Not sure of these dating sites for older people. Any advice or suggestions ? Thanks to everyone!

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Sure wish I knew. I feel the same as you do. Very challenging to say the least.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP