Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 1 of 81

In general, my life, in spite of many not so happy times, and some downright awful times, has been relatively happy.  Does that sound conflicted?  It really isn't, because happiness varies throughout our lives and comes from within more than what happens externally.

I think probably one of my happiest periods of life (as well as the most exhausting) was when I found myself the mother of a small sickly adopted baby and eleven months later, gave birth to a daughter as well.  For someone who thought she would never be able to have children of her own it was a period of sleepless nights, frustration, wondering what in the world made me want children, and surrounded with the best kind of unconditional love that one can have from infants,

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 81

When I was 13, my Dad fell from an apple tree and passed away a week later...and a couple months later my Mom had a major heart attack and was not expected to live.  Since I was the last of 8 children (and certainly spoiled), being born when my parents were both 49 yrs, I felt my world had come to an end, and that I would never be happy again.  The Dr. said it was a miracle that she survived and that God knew she had to live to be there for me.  For the next year, I was her sole caregiver and "inherited" duties that I had no idea how to do or handle...such as a large house to take care of, cooking special broiled foods, giving her medicine, bed baths, and of course, bed pans...and for all of the 6 months the doctor required her to stay in bed.  From my country school, I ran across fields 4 times a day to check on her and  do all the other care duties again.  Was it hard?  Yes...but I was so happy.  Although I lost my Dad, I still had my Mom and that was the best present in the world.

To make a long story short, she got better, and we sold our country home and rented an apartment in Milwaukee and found a new world with cherished friends and neighbors near, who we loved and spent hours playing cards and enjoying each others company.  I was so blessed and so happy that my Mom ws still here for me and I for her.  I couldn't have asked for more..could you?

Judith J. Hoff
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 81

One of the happiest times in my life was when I decided to leave the Bronx, NY and travel to College in Ypsilanti, Michigan(Eastern Michigan University).  I was in my 30s, and this was my first college experience.  I was always the oldest student in the class so I knew all the answers.  The only person older than me, was my history professor.(his notes were the color of gold).  Every day I would be the first one to arrive in class. of course I sat in the front row.  After my classes I would go swimming, and run laps in the gym.  I was in the best shape of my life. I attended frat parties, ate a lot of pizza and met some wonderful individuals...some of whom I am still in touch with.  What a fun time I had! 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 81

Each new day makes me happy ❤️

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 81

Living on lake Minnetonka and just going out the front door and down and Hill and jump in the lake always was the best thing I remember when I was a kid

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 81

This past summer was a high point in my life. After recently retiring from a political science professorship, I spent a good part of the summer exploring the Missouri River near my home in a kayak. Every trip was unique and spectacular. I sighted eagles, great blue herons, ospreys, piping plovers,and least terns; picnicked on sandbars with friends; drifted with the current; battled headwinds; participated in a local race against the spring current. The peace of the river is with me still.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 81

That is a simple one.  My wife and a 4 year old great grand son were diagnosed with canser the same week.  Both had serious problems during and after treatment and I almost lose my wife.  his year we will get together on December 30th as a family; but any time we get together is the happiest time.  Come to think of it the two of us making hot cider this afternoon could have been the happiest.  We don't have many times that would qualify.  We are just two old folks sharing our lives with others.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 81

Raising 2 sons who turned out to be terrific men and my beautiful granddaughter. Great memories of over 50 yrs of wonderful friendships. Hardships that actually made me stronger. Faith / dependency on God and so many answers  to prayer. At 67 yrs young, I can look back and say " All things work for the good...." Romans 8:28

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 81

Your story made me smile, so happy for you! Now I hope I understood you right, did you marry the young man after all? Against your parents wishes? I mean seriously, this is your life and you want to be happy and if he’s the one, than he’s the one!!

good Luck and congratulations on all your babies & grandbabies! ☺️

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 81

Nice!!! You got your baby girl!! I went for number 3 and had my third son, but it didn’t matter, he’s an awesome young man! Mine are ages 30, 28 and 22 yrs old and I also raised my stepson who is only 3 weeks younger than my oldest and he’s also 30! 

And I just became a grandma to another baby boy!! I love him so much!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Take Pen Pal Safety Precautions

Learn more.

Pen Pal Safety