Reply
Community Manager
Community Manager

What was the happiest time in your life?

Share your happiest memory and see how many are similar or different than your's.

AARPTeri
0 Kudos
18,856 Views
83
Report
Contributor

The day my son was born and the day he got married!  I am so blessed to have him and his beautiful wife in my life and the 2 cutest grandsons a grandma could have!  Truly blessed!  Praise God.

Contributor

Becoming a grandma has been my favorite experience. I have had great times throughout my life and enjoyed every part wholeheartedly. But being close enough to be with my grandkids.💖 has been so rewarding. 

Periodic Contributor

I have so mand happy times in my life that it is hard to pick just one, however I will try.  One of the happiest times of my life was my days living in Manhattan NY directly across the street from Central Park. My cousins and I were the happiest little kids in the world.  We were both born in the U.S. Virgin Islands and came to New York and was fortunate to be living with the most wonderful Auntie in the world.  We would all go to Central Park and explore the entire park, all the little bridges, climbing on the rocks, swinging on the swings, sliding down the slider.  When it snowed, we would rush across the street to the park, make snow angels, construct snowmen and of course had snowball fights.  I remember it so well.  I was a happy little girl....the happiest time of my life.

                                                      Amy C

Silver Conversationalist

We moved quite often as a family.  Living in Austin, the kids were involved in Pop Warner football, baseball, and competitive swimming.  By the time the kids were in their teens, we moved to a little town in the burbs of Boston.  This to me was the country, and the kids made friends.  These childhood friends are still very close, and live about as far away from the NE as you can get:  CA and NV.  Even the parents moved west to be near the kids.  My youngest, who played drums, and several friends organized a rock band.  They practiced in the basement of the house and had a few gigs in the more populated towns.  I look at the pictures from the past and think of all the fun we had as a family.  In all the places we lived, I liked Texas best.  The kids are involved in their careers, we talk on the phone pretty often, but visits aren't too frequent.  The kids like the idea of my moving to a resort town that has a resurgence of interest in growing, harvesting grapes and making wines.  If this turns out to be a family business, maybe we'll be close once more. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

I believe that my happiest years were when my 2 daughters had started school and were at the age where I could take them places without temper trantrums, diaper bags, bottles and strollers. We would go to simple places like the library, park and the beach. Later it was to day camp, Girl Scouts, dance classes and the museums. As they became pre-teens, they also liked going to the mall to shop for clothes. We'd watch movies on TV at night with treats or play games. It ended pretty quickly once they started high school and were more involved with their own friends. 

Periodic Contributor

When I turned 65 , after working 25 yrs in private industry, and 22 yrs in the GOVERMENT, I retired on my birthday and bought my a 18' RV took my Yorkery and went all the way to MAINE. Found a traveling campion, enjoyed it for 15 more years! Sally Kolar, Arvada,CO
Contributor

The happiest time in my life was when my son was born and raising him
Periodic Contributor

When I was rearing my two sons from infancy to adolescence.  I enjoyed being a stay-at-home mom during the elementary years and guiding them as best I knew how into adulthood.  it wasn't always easy, but I loved taking care of tehm.

Social Butterfly

I'm sad now that I didn't appreciate it more at the time. We had just moved to Florida and hubby had a brand new job with Disney. My son was about 6 and my daughter 1 and it was a whole new world. I look at pics of hubby then and he was in the best shape of his life. My son was young and adorable. We did have good times together. I learned to skateboard wahoooo! He and his friends would include me sometimes. They would catch snapping turtles and chase each other around. Fireworks were legal and an amusing after dark activity. That daughter eventually became estraged but then she was just a dark eyed magical toddler. Wasn't that a time...Hubby had free passes to Disney so it got to where the kids would be "Can't we go somewhere else?". Can you imagine? But yeah that was a wonderful several years.

Periodic Contributor

When I  was in college.  I went back to college very late in life, it was my dream and the one thing I knew I would regret not doing when the end of my life came.  All the very bad things that were going to happen in my life were ahead, I didn't know them, couldn't see them or anticapate them.  I was focused on learning, and I wanted to learn, I enjoyed every second.  I took hard classes, astronomy, physics, calculus, classes that were uncomfortable, a place beyond where I was, and where I had ever been.  I changed in those four years, experiencing that learning as an adult.  When I took my very last exam, I walked to my car and cried, I couldn't stop.  I had done it and I had done it well.  That was my happiest time.

Regular Contributor

1. When I found and married the wonderful woman in my life for the last 48 years.

 

2. When I got out of the Army in one piece.

 

3. The day I graduated from college.

 

4. The birth of my daughter. her graduation from high school and college.

Periodic Contributor

The happiest time in life for me was when I realized how much power I have over my happiness and joy both of which are a choice.  I always thought that my happiness was defined by things outside of me and when I became more spiritually connected, I found that all that I needed was already inside of me.  Every moment of my life if filled with joy.   I can even find joy in the challenges that come with living because I know this provides  the opportunity to grow learn more about myself.  No matter the appearance, everything in my life is perfect because I choose to see it that way.  No I'm not in denial, I have most of the trappings of success and a fantastic husband, I'm happily retired and we can pretty much do what we want to do when we want to do it, but true happiness is a choice that I make every day.

Trusted Contributor

The happest time of my life has been the last 56 years.  My childhood was less than good.  My life since I married my husband has been the best I ever could hope for.  Everyone has ups and downs, but they were trivial for us.  We have raised  three children who are good, productive adults.  We have traveled and done everything we waqnted to do. We stjill love each other after all these years. Life is good.

Regular Contributor

First, when I met my then Girlfriend then Wife, sadly she died 4 years ago after being together since 1957.

 

So Happy that I had her that long, Lovely Wife, Friend,Lover, Mother and Grandmother..

 

I'll never stop Missing her....

 

 

 

 

Contributor

The most intense and happy time of my life was the several years in the late 60s and early 70s that I spent learning to be a computer scientist (geek), first as a student at Brown and then teaching and doing research there. The subject was utterly fascinating and the people I worked with and taught were smart, involved, and just as interested in computers as I was (including the gorgeous Pembroke math major who's now my wife). Ah, those summer nights -- taking over the University mainframe at midnight, hacking until dawn, and then the whole crew wandering over to the deli for bagels and lox. 

Regular Contributor

College where I had a lot of friends.  Unhappily, things have been going down hill since then.

Newbie

60 years ago when I was married to my 1st. husband
Contributor

High school and college years, and when my wonderful husband was courting me, which he still does.
Regular Contributor

I think right now, as a retired grandmother, is the happiest time of my life.  It has less drama, and is more stress free than any other time of my life.  True, my husband and I both have some health issues, and can't do everything we once did, but he's still able to work part time  so we can travel.  We are blessed.

Periodic Contributor

College at Sarah Lawrence in Bronxville, NY 20 minutes from NYC. I became best friends with Jody Cohen who's family lived in the Penthouse at the Ritz Towers! I lived a dream life and made all A's! Jody came with me to KYeach summer, life couldn't have been more fun👯!
Periodic Contributor


@mm98382960 wrote:
College at Sarah Lawrence in Bronxville, NY 20 minutes from NYC. I became best friends with Jody Cohen who's family lived in the Penthouse at the Ritz Towers! I lived a dream life and made all A's! Jody came with me to KYeach summer, life couldn't have been more fun👯!

When I was at Sarah Lawrence, 1959 to 1963 we did not get "grades", when were you there?

 

Marilyn Z
Trusted Social Butterfly

My happiest time when my siblings&I were very young,our family would spend  summer vacations in Vermont&New Hampshire.Our cousins lived in both states,nice to have the yearly family reunion. Our parents moved to a retirement community,Kendall in Hanover,NH from'92-'03. I would come visit them my vacation time off from work.

 My happiest time now is being retired,boggles my mind it will be 4 yrs in March. I'm busier than ever,enjoy my volunteer activites,helping my 'extended 'family' friends whenever they need my help. I try to live my life every day by this:"Its more blessed to give than to receive" Acts 20:35 Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Periodic Contributor

The happiest time of my life is now when I am old enough to know better!

Also when I was in my 30's and we were 'homesteading" in North Idaho.

Building a home, raising a garden & orchards & a child, and then heading to warmer climates in the winter as we were living off the grid & the outhouse was not that romantic after a few cold nights!

Being a young snow bird & homeschooling our son, while we camped with friends on their off the grid property in Hawaii was one of the happiest times of my life.

Honored Social Butterfly


@denisedyane wrote:

The happiest time of my life is now when I am old enough to know better!

Also when I was in my 30's and we were 'homesteading" in North Idaho.

Building a home, raising a garden & orchards & a child, and then heading to warmer climates in the winter as we were living off the grid & the outhouse was not that romantic after a few cold nights!

Being a young snow bird & homeschooling our son, while we camped with friends on their off the grid property in Hawaii was one of the happiest times of my life.


Wow!  I'll bet you have some interesting stories to tell.  I would love to hear them.  Have you thought about writing a memoir?  Perhaps you could post some on the "Writing Memoirs" site.

Contributor

P
Newbie

There have been many happy times in my life but the current time of being Retired at 57 from a career and now pursing a different and fun career, which allows me the time to spend with my Grandkids is absolutely the best.   The Grandkids know me as Papa Mike and they think I am crazy and will do anything with them thats fun. 

Contributor

April 28th,1967 was happiest day of life it was wings of freedom and the friendly skys of pan am jet that brought me to the USA. THANKS, WORDS cannot express my happiness.meeting great people in my life first,Mohammed Ali, Mavln Gaye his mother and dad Pearl Bailey,Helen Hayes from the movie Airport. From the Washington Redskins Joe Thiesman and other redskins players I am very much impressed to be in there present.When I leave my beautiful Island of Trinidad & Tobago it was not a mistake it was PURE HAPPINESS and joy and still feel that way still Happiness is what you make of it,keep the faith keep your head high strive for the best.This is one nation will stand strong forever,I believe in the United State Of America On Christ the solid rock we stand all other ground is sinking sand.America is solid.I have learned so much and happy to share it with the world.But also PEACE WILL ALWAYS REIGN FOREVER.
Trusted Contributor

Adventures with Grandma -- Grandpa had just gassed up the old Dodge and complained about the price of gas at 24 cents a gallon.  She and I were headed for Neebish Island to see an old relative. All packed, she gingerly backed out of the long driveway and we headed south for an hour’s drive to the ferry...longer since her top speed was 25 miles per hour. Bouncing along the way, she abruptly made a sharp left turn toward an eddy where I could see that cars were already lining up. Grandma stopped so quickly that we lurched forward as if hit from behind. She then slowly proceeded forward where an attendant cautiously directed her onto a flatbed ferry that carried a maximum of four cars. We’d just made it! The ferry operated on a pulley system moving efficiently from one side of the small channel to the other. I couldn’t help but think of Tom Sawyer’s exploits on the Mississippi.

Once docked, Grandma stepped on the gas pedal and we literally launched off the ferry. I don’t think it was her intention, but once on dry land she settled herself comfortably behind the steering wheel while rearranging the cushion under her bottom that gave her more height. We rode only a short distance before she made a knowing 90-degree turn into a field. Stunned, I tried to read her face for reassurance. She said, “Not to worry. I follow my nose everywhere and everytime it’s always got me where I wanted to go.” We rode through brush, dried cornstalks and the last of the summer flowers, which were taller than the car. Then frantically she bellowed, “Close the windows!! Grasshoppers!!” Despite a few grasshoppers, the drive seemed almost magical as I looked across the shimmering fields, chaff scattering and undulating against the sky. My heart pounded as we inhaled the spraying fields that the car churned up. And, sure enough, her nose had directed us to a weather beaten rooftop where black smoke from a broken chimney signaled our welcome. Tom was waiting with fresh skillet-fried biscuits and Grandma’s raspberry jam.  

Honored Social Butterfly


@marieteresa01 wrote:

Adventures with Grandma -- Grandpa had just gassed up the old Dodge and complained about the price of gas at 24 cents a gallon.  She and I were headed for Neebish Island to see an old relative. All packed, she gingerly backed out of the long driveway and we headed south for an hour’s drive to the ferry...longer since her top speed was 25 miles per hour. Bouncing along the way, she abruptly made a sharp left turn toward an eddy where I could see that cars were already lining up. Grandma stopped so quickly that we lurched forward as if hit from behind. She then slowly proceeded forward where an attendant cautiously directed her onto a flatbed ferry that carried a maximum of four cars. We’d just made it! The ferry operated on a pulley system moving efficiently from one side of the small channel to the other. I couldn’t help but think of Tom Sawyer’s exploits on the Mississippi.

Once docked, Grandma stepped on the gas pedal and we literally launched off the ferry. I don’t think it was her intention, but once on dry land she settled herself comfortably behind the steering wheel while rearranging the cushion under her bottom that gave her more height. We rode only a short distance before she made a knowing 90-degree turn into a field. Stunned, I tried to read her face for reassurance. She said, “Not to worry. I follow my nose everywhere and everytime it’s always got me where I wanted to go.” We rode through brush, dried cornstalks and the last of the summer flowers, which were taller than the car. Then frantically she bellowed, “Close the windows!! Grasshoppers!!” Despite a few grasshoppers, the drive seemed almost magical as I looked across the shimmering fields, chaff scattering and undulating against the sky. My heart pounded as we inhaled the spraying fields that the car churned up. And, sure enough, her nose had directed us to a weather beaten rooftop where black smoke from a broken chimney signaled our welcome. Tom was waiting with fresh skillet-fried biscuits and Grandma’s raspberry jam.  


Hi, marieteresa01.  I really like your writing and am wondering if there is more.  Perhaps you could think about joining some of us on the "Short Stories and Poetry" or the "Writing Memoirs" sites.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for your kind words and generous invite. I will definitely look into it. Best wishes. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP