Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What's your favorite dog breed?

Community Manager
Community Manager

What's your favorite dog breed?

I have always thought a German Shepard was so smart and strong.  But really have a hard time picking a favorite breed, especially now that I have a mixed dog.  Do you have a favorite?

AARPTeri
Regular Contributor

Jack Russell Terrier

Contributor

Hi all, first post in AARP

I did not have a dog growing up but much later over a 20 year period I had 7 greyhounds, usually 2 at a time, all rescued from the track.  They are the most loving, affectionate 45mph couch potatoes!  I became a "greyhound person". I currently have a 28lb. small dog from the local shelter who, to my amazement, has worked her way into my heart as if she were a greyhound, who knew?  We've done so much together, going to restaurants and other events, lots of training - first she got her Canine Good Citizen, then her Urban Canine Good Citizen then passed the Therapy Dog Int'l testing, then came in 2nd in an obedience trial where she was the ONLY mixed breed (come on people, what the heck?) dog etc.  She is older now, her 100% red coat is turning white but she still has a lot of spring in her step.  MY FAVORITE DOG BREED IS THE ONE THAT NEEDS ME THE MOST.  Animals are not disposable like a paper plate.  

Recognized Social Butterfly

@Rescuex   What a lovely post.   I agree 100%.

Regular Contributor

I love the Newfoundland Doggie my favorite but she passed and I now have 2 Shih Tzu's.
Regular Contributor

Sorry for your loss... I lost my Newfoundland and now also have 2 Shih Tzu's. Newfie's are the best !!!!!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lhsevret wrote:

Sorry for your loss... I lost my Newfoundland and now also have 2 Shih Tzu's. Newfie's are the best !!!!!!!

💥 Hi @lhsevret what are the names of your furbabies? Thanks, Angela 💥

Regular Contributor

First of all Thank You for asking... I have Lilly and Toby.. Lilly is 3 and Toby is 5.

Enjoy your day !!!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lhsevret wrote:

First of all Thank You for asking... I have Lilly and Toby.. Lilly is 3 and Toby is 5.

Enjoy your day !!!!!

💥 @lhsevret keep us in mind for pictures. No pressure! 💥

Regular Contributor

Love .Love Boxers . I now have a boxer / pit bull . That is a rescue. Has turned out to be a very good dog for me .

Periodic Contributor

I'm with you on boxers.  They are the breed of my heart.  I've had them since I was a child.  At one time we had 6 in our house.  Unfortunately, I lost my last boxer, a female in 2012 and my male in 2010.  I now have a 7 year old pitbull who I got when he was 8 weeks old and he was raised by my female boxer.  He acts like a boxer.  I often say he is a boxer in a pitbull disguise,

Community Manager
Community Manager

I love reading about boxers!  I just adopted a boxer mix from rescue and will have him this weekend!

AARPTeri
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @AARPTeri how exciting!!! Do you have a name for him?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes, we are keeping his name since I loved it - Bonkers.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Amr4shane wrote:

I'm with you on boxers.  They are the breed of my heart.  I've had them since I was a child.  At one time we had 6 in our house.  Unfortunately, I lost my last boxer, a female in 2012 and my male in 2010.  I now have a 7 year old pitbull who I got when he was 8 weeks old and he was raised by my female boxer.  He acts like a boxer.  I often say he is a boxer in a pitbull disguise,

💥Hi @Amr4shane what is the name of your furbaby? Any pictures to share with us?💥

Regular Contributor

I now have a boxer / pit . He is so gentle and sweet . He acts more like a boxer then a pit . He was a rescue. Right now he is very sick . Hope he gets better soon .

@PhyllisD478560   I hope he feels better too!

Periodic Contributor

Two of my favorite breeds.  Boxers and pitbulls.  My pitbull was raised by my boxer.  He is a sweetheart.  I hope your boy is feeling better soon.

Regular Contributor

Yes I also had one as a child . Our last boxer was a rescue .My husband never had boxers .I had told him about the one I had as child . So when we were able to get the boxer .He said ok if you want him we will try him out .Well after just 3 days he was in love with him .And in about 2 weeks the boxer that was to be mine , ended up being his . Dog loved him so much .He said I have never had a dog that gave so much love . There were always together .we took the dog to Alaska ,and into Canada.
Regular Contributor

I love my Jack Russell Terrier

Trusted Contributor

I have had a number of diffent breeds of dogs.  I think my favorite large breeds are an Irish Wolfhound and German Shepards both are wonderful family dogs, when trained properly and socialized properly.  For a small breed it is again a tie between the llaha apso and a border terrier.  But the most important quality in all of my dogs are they are rescue dogs from reliiable rescue organizations.

@sm361854  So nice that you mentioned  rescue dogsSmiley Very Happy.  Double kudos.

Contributor

A pit bull  mostly but I like large breeds 

Contributor

Cavaliier King Charles Spaniel.  Just looking at my Lucy makes me smile.  Her tail is always wagging and she loves everyone.

Honored Social Butterfly

Loved my good ol' faithful beagle named Zippy.

Regular Contributor

Jack Russell Terrier aka T Rex

Contributor

That really is a tough question. We've had several purebeds and a few mutts over the years. Most of our dogs have been big, huge dogs until about 8 years ago. The big ones were getting too difficult to handle so eventually we got 2 smaller dogs. Over the years we've had a Hungarian Puli, an English Mastiff, an Old English Sheepdog, an Irish Wolf hound and a Bouvier. At this point we rescued a mix breed that was medium sized. After he passed away we rescued a Chinese Crested mix (a breed I have always wanted), at the same time we also rescued a long haired Chihuahua. They were all great dogs. If I absolutely had to pick which breed was my favorite, I would have to say our Chinese Crested. He's on the smaller side, doesn't shed cause he's hairless and is a real clown. If money were no object and space wasn't an issue, I'd get one of each again. I do love the big ones though.

Pain, pain go away

Siberian Huskies can't be beat.  They are stunners with all the color combos and the killer

blue eyes on many.  Not to mention they just kill with the perfect eyeliner every time.  They

are the biggest goof balls.  They never fail to entertain me.  Love their zoomies and how they

talk.  Just too much fun.

Super Contributor

My favorite  dog breeds  are the German Shepherd and the Yorkshire Terrier. 

I don't have any dogs, I have a feral Calico cat name Dana. I've had her since she was  a

kitten, she is now 7 years  old.

Terry Marvin (Dallas, Texas, USA)

Honored Social Butterfly

Still Dutch Shepherds working on 4th, I think I’m wrapped around her dew claw. All rescues!

Despite her pulling her 50 pound bin of food, across kitchen floor, through dining room to rest mid carpet, with an additional 50 lb’s of packed laptops (big box).

She apparently disliked my going off in search of more food for both of us.

B5FD596E-040A-489D-9258-1E037EA7811E.jpeg

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!

@Frozenoem  And I have been thinking that your doggie girl has been quiet for quite awhile.  Nice picture!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP