Community Manager
Community Manager

What's your favorite dog breed?

I have always thought a German Shepard was so smart and strong.  But really have a hard time picking a favorite breed, especially now that I have a mixed dog.  Do you have a favorite?

AARPTeri

I have loved the many dogs I've been blessed to have in my life. My little soul mate was a Pembroke Welch Corgi who unfortunately died too soon at age 9. I miss him every day. But I now have Dori, a mixed breed mostly Beagle. She is devoted to me, very loving, sleeps with me under the covers just as my Paddy used to do. Her soulful brown eyes say it all. She is very special.

@AARPTeri wrote:

I have always thought a German Shepard was so smart and strong.  But really have a hard time picking a favorite breed, especially now that I have a mixed dog.  Do you have a favorite?

Trusted Contributor

I am an animal lover and love Rottweilers.  I love their character and appearance (muscular built). Rotties are easy to groom and if people know you have this type of dog on your property, they will think twice about burglarizing your home.

Periodic Contributor

English Cocker Spaniel. I bred, showed and trained them for over 20 years; owned at least 1 for another 10. I'd love to get another one!
Contributor

Greyhounds!  Loving and easy to care for.

Contributor

Has to be German Shepherd. I've had 3 of them and they were like my best friends in many ways

Contributor

All of them.   They're dogs, all different, but all great.  Dogs are the coolest animals in the world.  I look at any of them (with the exception of a friend's little poodle, who hated me, barking, biting, etc...).  Any dog that doesn't like me (the ultimate dog lover) must be mutant.  The smartest most amazing, intuitive, intelligent, was a 22 lb. caramel colored wire haired terrier, some poodle, maybe more, but that was enough.  She learned the most difficult tricks in less than 5 minutes.  She had a strong herding instinct.  When group hiking on a trail, we she'd run from the beginning to the end of the line, and back, and back, and back, etc... counting us, making sure no one was missing.  We live along Lake Michigan and were hiking along the shore line.  She'd make a wide arc around us and move far enough away so that she could see (and count) all of us.  I had heard that some herders,  traveled across the backs ofostl the sheep or whoever to get to the other side.  We were watching a softball game, and so were sort of hunched forward when we noticed we were being walked on.  She loved people, but did have a favorite (me), and would worry, and sit at the door waiting for me, when I was gone.

Loyalty is definitely a terrier trait (pit bulls, all of em).  I was driving in Detroit, and as I entered the freeway, there was this little thing just sitting there (she was about 1 year old or less).  I stopped the car, opened the door, and in she hopped. There is no doubt in my mind that she had been dropped off there, and she was waiting to be picked up.

Black Labrador Retriever smart loyal part of the family

Contributor

Standard Poodle, of which i now have two...Blondie and Henri.  They are so smart it is sometimes shocking, they catch on so fast!  Every dog I have ever owned was a favorite though...Cocker Spaniel growing up and two Greyhounds prior to the Poodles.  The Greyhounds got me used to dogs that don't bark and I am having to get used to barking again.

Sue

Contributor

Standard Poodle. They are smart, clued in, love to play and think at 65 pounds they are a lap dog. We give them a straight cut, not a fufu cut.
Recognized Social Butterfly

The favorite dog of my life was a black German Shepherd.  She just showed up one day when she was about 1 year old.  She developed degenerative myelopathy at age 9 and I had the cart for her hind end and kept her going for about a year.  She weighed over 100 lbs and it was very difficult.  I do not want to love another  dog like I loved her.  It was really too much. 

Border collie mixes and lab mixes are my next favorite flavor of dog.  Always wanted a poodle and a sheltie! 

Periodic Contributor

I was never a dog person...I had cats.... When we married, hubby already had a Siamese and two Dobermans... So, we rescued lovely Dobies for 15 years...then we rescued wonderful Rottweilers...for 20 years. People tend to get them as pups and when at 4-5 mos. they are really big and have not been taught their 'manners', don't want them any more...including show quality pure-breds!!! 

We now have a  beautiful !!! rescue long haired German Shepard, who is a love,  at 100# he thinks he is a lap dog.... I made sure he bonded to my hubby, tho' he still naps with me... a really big help when I am on my laptop...lols

Contributor

None
0 Kudos
Contributor

Nond
0 Kudos
Contributor

Boxer, they are so smart, fast learners, devoted to their famlies..Like kids and cats, if raised with them..

Contributor

I simply adore Yorkies! They are so  much fun and give so much love! I just recently had to put my 16 year old male to sleep. It was one of the toughest things I've ever had to do. But the right thing for him. I miss him every day & he'll be in my thoughts forever.

Contributor

1. I have had some mixed breeds (Fox Terrior & a German Shepherd mix with dachshund legs) & Malmutes, a small poodle, a Basenji, & 2 different Chihuahuas.  All were rescue dogs over my lifetime as an adult.  None as a child.  My favorites have been the small dogs (poodle & Chihuahua).    All the breeds have delightful traits & are as unique as humans in the way they react & behave.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Yorkshire Terrier

Contributor

We've always had Newfoundlands, still my favorite breed.  There's nothing like that giant ball of fur and slobber to make you feel loved.  We decided, though, that we needed to downsize to a more manageable-sized dog as we get older, so now have a Clumber Spaniel.  Quite a difference!  She's much more excitable, but still very couch-potato-y.  I think training is going to be a little more of a challenge, but we're so happy to have this sweet girl.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Havanese.   I've had dogs most of my life and this breed is exceptional. Doesn't shed, is quiet, smart, easy to train, connected, sturdy and great looking. .

0 Kudos
Contributor

Bichon Frise
Contributor

Mini Schnauzers
0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

Wired hair fox terrier is my favorite.  We had one called Spedly Pucht.

0 Kudos
Contributor

PAPILLON!!!!

Contributor

I personally like the "Heinz 57" dogs.  The mix breeds.  Our Pemberley's Mom was Cocker Spaniel & her Dad was Brittney Spaniel & Saint Bernard.  My best friend was just the opposite having to have full breed dogs.  She passed away in April 2010.  That fall my daughter found a Yellow Lab in the road.  We brought her home, called town animal control & when no body claimed her we kept her naming her Honey.  I know that she was sent to us from Cathy.  Unfortunately, we lost her to cancer 1 1/2 years ago.

0 Kudos

I have always loved Chihuahuas. I have had 2 purebreds, but know am the proud Mom of a terrhuahua. Her dad was a chihuahua and her mom was a fox terrier. She's much more active than my other dogs, but I lover her just as much.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I love the Shih Tzu - their personalities are so cute. We adopted an older Shih Tzu from Friends of Pets & she was the best dog. For a small dog she was fearless when we went for walks, she would bark at larger dogs as if she was talking to them. She also had a skip when we walked like she was happy to be outside. I was heartbroken when she became ill & died. I have plans to get 2 Shih Tzu's when my home building project is finished.

Contributor

I love dachs because not only did I have one as a child, but as a disabled adult with social anxity disorder, I have a very well behaved black & tan that goes everywhere with me.  He remains quiet when out, never begs for food at resturants, and if I need to go into the kitchen at church, where I do not think dogs belong, I can set him on a chair, go get my glass of ice water, and he will be in the same place I left him when I return.  The only training he has had is from me carrying him around since he was a very young puppy.  I do have a note from my psych. Dr, saying that I need him with me.

Skeeter
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hot dog with mustard and onions...
Contributor

Toy Poodle!
0 Kudos

Basically I love all dogs - big, little, pure breeds, mixed, doesn't matter.  My baby now is 10 years old and part chihauhau and part terrier.  She is the sweetest, genleist, most loving, smart dog I have ever had and I have had a lot of dogs.  I think rescue dogs are the best.  They look at you with such love in their beautiful eyes, like saying thank you for saving me and giving me a forever home.  I don't undertand how someone could abuse an animal.  I always told my kids that animals are God's creatures just like us and should be treated with love and respect and gentleness.  I am 72 years old and my little Pookie is my loving companion and my forever sweetheart.