Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What is something good you have gotten out of this pandemic?

Community Manager
Community Manager

What is something good you have gotten out of this pandemic?

We have all been talking about the tough parts of being social distance and not seeing family.  But we know there are some great stories out there too!  Share yours here!

I have really learned to slow down, I always had to be on the go and now I really appreciate an afternoon with a good book in my lap!

How about you?  Tell us!

AARPTeri
Recognized Social Butterfly

2 comments (9/1/23) It has been 3 very long years and we are still hearing of infections.

I stop by the Florida City Data Forum to read stuff and just saw where "infections" are coming from AA Meetings. These meetings "apparently" from what is being POSTED (have NO idea myself) are VERY CROWDED.

I know folks need this to stay "sober" and in my very humble opinion - SAFEGUARDS should be in place.

Personally I hate "online" anything BUT in 2020 LEARN'T to appreciate it was keeping me safe.

Us oldsters are sometimes more VULNERABLE with whatever is floating out there.

Me, still NOT doing the "close and personal" and will see what NEXT year 2024 has in store for us all.

Nicole 🙃

@AARPTeri wrote:

We have all been talking about the tough parts of being social distance and not seeing family.  But we know there are some great stories out there too!  Share yours here!

I have really learned to slow down, I always had to be on the go and now I really appreciate an afternoon with a good book in my lap!

How about you?  Tell us!✏

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

I have learned to keep my distance as always and I personally keep my masks 😷 on. This disease is in the air and it’s Never never going away 

Racquel Evans
Regular Social Butterfly

Hi, Racquel,

I so agree; I also think I found out neighbors I thought were of my mindset, humanity, and those who were not. It was quite shocking reveal to me but when they refused to recognize COVID or used excuses for not having to comply to legal restrictions, "True Colors" played for me in my mind...

Distance is a choice, and not a bad thing and anyone who chooses to say anything against your choice is themself wrong.

jmho

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@nctarheel 

I do have to agree with your comments. 

How does one come away from this question when only one thing out of possibly five was a positive experience?

The overall covid experience was not positive, but rather an attempt to survive and not catch the virus…if that’s a positive thing that I experienced, okay, so be it. But, it didn’t have to be this way. 
May all stay safe. 

Info Seeker

1)

A few good things I can think of. My son's job as a salesman for a lumberyard brings him to my area. He's considered an essential worker. People have been doing home improvements. He's been staying over at least 1 night per week. I hardly saw him before.

2) Video chats with my grandchildren. I'been able to see them grow (ages 3&7).

3) My son got engaged to a wonderful woman who really loves the children.

4) I WAS VACCINATED!

Periodic Contributor

It was good to me in a few ways. 

#1 -  I have no income and those 3 economic impact payments really helped me out.

#2 - I live in a low income apartment complex where management infringes on our privacy constantly. They didn't do that all during the pandemic, until a couple weeks ago. 

#3 - I've lived isolated for years and very few of my family and friends have kept in touch. Since everyone else was also living that way and getting lonely, more of them kept in touch with me. It was a huge benefit for me. And since I've been used to living this way not only did it not impact me as much as is did most other people, but I was able to help my people be able to cope better with the isolation 😊

Periodic Contributor

Oh, on reading what some other's have said, I've made improvements in my life. Don't know if I ever could have quit smoking without the pandemic. I quit to reduce my chances of getting it on April 15, 2020. And not being around other smokers has kept me from being tempted to go back to it. And, unlike previous quits, I smell it now and it repulses me. I want to get the heck away from it because it makes me nauseous. I'm eating better, working out, keeping my apartment up better and doing more positive things with my days. 

But as much as I've loved my walks, I don't think I'll be leaving my apartment to be a pedestrian again. Last Tuesday I got hit by a car and don't feel at all healthier. This situation taught me that no matter how careful I am and no matter how wise my decisions are, there's going to be someone behind the wheel of a car who will not at all be wise. And in the case of car vs. human body, the car comes out in much better shape. I am grateful to be alive and grateful that my injuries weren't worse. But still, I'm not interested in giving it a chance to be worse. 

Info Seeker

Congratulations!

I stopped smoking 8 years ago. It was a struggle but it's  worth it.

Contributor

My siblings & I gather twice a month for a zoom chat. We have visited more in the last 15 months than in the last 30 years!!

I have enjoyed having my schedule cleared of a lot of busyness.  It is great not having all those weekly & monthly commmitments I had before - not sure how many of them I will return to (not to mention the $ saved on some of them.)

I've realized that a lot of things I thought were important wasn't really.  I enjoy participating in zoom meetings and church on line, I get to see a lot of people that I wouldn't otherwise.  I've worked during the entire pandemic so I'm thankful to have a job along with my health and strenght.  

Social Butterfly

It’s more the something good I haven’t gotten.  The virus, by following the rules suggested by the experts!

Social Butterfly

Great example of showing gratitude @2Papa .  😃 I am so glad to be healthy too.  It's a good reminder to be grateful every day that we have our health, when so many do not.

Periodic Contributor

After feeling immediately isolated and impoverished (my husband was laid off precipitously), we started to use zoom to connect with both friends here and friends in other cities. We actually are more in touch with out-of-town friends and some in-town friends that we have been in years. Som that is a big plus.

Live music has been a regular part of our weeks for years. That all ground to a sudden halt. But, many of our favorite musicians have been regularly offering webcast concerts for free with requests for tips/donations if one is inspired. We have gotten to see some artists several times this year that typically would have only done one concert in Chicago over the year. While the dynamics are not the same for a web concert since unless the backup musicians happen to be in the same local COVID bubble, these are solo shows. There have been some song swaps where two to four musicians take turns playing songs and those are fun -- but we miss the vocal harmonies and instrumental accompaniment that would have been there in a face-to-face show.  It has let us get to appreciate some of these artists in a new way. One of our favorites, Susan Werner, has done a weekly concert every Sunday at 7 pm EDT (simulcast on Facebook ad YouTube). She brings on guest artists and swaps songs, does theme weeks which often include covers of songs we would have never heard from her except for the pandemic, and even a variety show featuring a musical saw and trained cats acts. So, that has been a mainstay of our Sundays and there is an active community of regulars in the chat (including many folks that we personally know). Unlke an actual concert where conversation is discouraged, we can text with friends about songs during the concert without interrupting the flow of the music or annoying others.

The last good thing is it has made me work on being more patient and more flexible. That has been probably a little less successful than I had hoped but I have improved a lot. Ok, improved some. OK, OK, I have improved at least a little! 

Social Butterfly

Way to go @Davidcbarnett !  Finding the good during a difficult time. I hope your husband is able to find employment soon, and that it's a good fit for him.  I know, right, patience and flexibility ugh. When you said little improvements, all I could think of was Bill Murray in "What About Bob?" Baby steps here.  So funny.

Conversationalist

My neighborhood is normally very noisy on the weekends.  I do not do well with noise.

Due to the lockdown, it's been a very quiet year. And that's not to diminish the incalculable cost this pandemic has had on countless people in my area and across the entire globe.

I'm just saying I have loved this peace and quiet and will miss it terribly.

Social Butterfly

Hello @AvocadoDog .  You always have something meaningful to say, and say it so well.

Bronze Conversationalist

I've enjoyed the fact that people who were isolating have been more available online, where I tend to hang out. More opportunities to connect and get to know each other. Hopefully when cross country travel makes sense again, I'll have dozens more people to visit. 

Social Butterfly

Great point @DeahWA . I'm definitely "talking" to more people on line than ever before.

Honored Social Butterfly

I have learned how stupid and uncaring some of our fellow citizens are to this day.

This pandemic could have been well on its way to its end if it weren't for those that refused to wear a mask, gathered in large groups, and now, refuse to be vaccinated.

I am an older person with secondary health issues, have been vaccinated, but no vaccine is perfect.

What gives these people the right to spread this disease without guilt or remorse because they won't follow the steps necessary to end this scourge.

I found NO GOOD in this pandemic......... as it will continue because of these people.

Super Contributor

I'm sticking by you. The mask days have been declared long past, but I still wear mine if, for no other reason than to ward off imagined dirty looks from others.

If a time capsule were sent into space to be opened centuries from now, there would be such things, such as a mask, signs encouraging social distancing (what is that?) and a myriad of other stuff.

Who knows, we may find out what really happened to the dinosaurs.

Social Butterfly

I  totally understand your frustration @unctarheel , and I share some of those frustrations too.  But there must be something good that has happened in the past year for you.  By sharing a "silver-lining" story, it could  help others examine the good things in their life. That's a healthy thing, and the question posed, helps facilitate that. 

Your negativity is why you don't see anything good. Blaming others is not going to help. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@PattiT48 wrote:

Your negativity is why you don't see anything good. Blaming others is not going to help.

First and foremost, welcome to the discussion board.

Please bear with me as I disagree with your analysis of my well being (ie. negativity).

The POSITIVE RESULT is that there is a different world leader at the former leader's previous address and the pandemic is now being addressed appropriately.

Social Butterfly

Welcome to the on-line community @PattiT48 .  Look forward to getting to know you better.

Bronze Conversationalist

Rediscovering our home and backyard. 

Social Butterfly

Me too @postman29 .  Just moved three weeks ago ( a whole mile away ) same neighborhood.  But our daily walks just seem better some how.  I think, I'm simply appreciating them more.  Definitely appreciate a bit more space.

Super Contributor

Meeting my friends at the virtual "Merriwether's Donut Shop at the Beginning of the World" every morning. 🙂

-Mark

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com
Social Butterfly

@MarkV847771 , You always have something cool to share.  You never disappoint!

Super Contributor

My parents realized when I was young that they'd better channel my ego into being a force for good. They mostly succeeded. 😄😄😄

-Mark

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP