Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What do you want to be remembered for?

Retired Community Manager

What do you want to be remembered for?

Do you have an accomplishment or success that you're especially proud of? Have you had to overcome a major challenge? Or, maybe your character or personality is very important to you.

What do you want your legacy to be?

Trusted Social Butterfly

There is an old saying:

"It's not the Destination, it's the Journey"

By definition "Legacy" (look it up) is different than memories.  Legacy is the physical evidence of one's existence, generally assessed in terms of property, possessions and assets.  Memories are more ethereal. 

I would hope to be remembered favorably for how I lived in the societal context I was born into (The Journey) rather than the manufactured trinkets, titles and possessions (even if it's a pyramid or a skyscraper) I accumulated along the way and presented as accomplishments.  The illusion of the permanence of physical objects leads to values based on delusional thinking.  We all know what the destination is.

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

1 comment (8/29/23) That I left my very "toxic" family BEHIND me at AGE 18 and moved FORWARD with living MY life MY way.

I passed this on to my "only" child - a daughter.

NO TOXIC allowed in OUR lives! 👍

Nicole 🙃

@VickiM68 wrote:

Do you have an accomplishment or success that you're especially proud of? Have you had to overcome a major challenge? Or, maybe your character or personality is very important to you.

What do you want your legacy to be?✏

Silver Conversationalist

NO TOXIC allowed in OUR lives!

https://www.mhanational.org/eliminating-toxic-influences

Toxic People: How to Recognize and Avoid Them Narcissists, frenemies, and chronic complainers cause interpersonal disasters

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/when-disaster-strikes-inside-disaster-psychology/201911/toxi...

Super Contributor

I hope to be remembered for the piano instruction books for mature adults I have written, called Upper Hands Piano. I spent many years researching how older adults best learn and retain musical information and writing the books, and I'd like to think that the books will help people to learn how to play the piano well after I'm gone. Also I hope that my students will remember me as someone who really cared about them and their piano aspirations. I've been so lucky to live a musical life!

Regular Contributor

I totally get it.   Used to teach piano as well as dance.  Have thought of offering adult lessons.  I should check out your books.  Thanks for mentioning them.

Working with others and sharing our love of the arts is so rewarding isn't it?

Regular Contributor

As I read through the replies here I think that this has been a good exercise for us all.  It has made us realize that each and everyone of us were put on earth for a special reason.   Each and everyone of us has made a difference in some way - in the lives of others.  And because of this exercise, we have voiced (to ourselves) as well as others, that our lives have counted.

Conversationalist

I hope I am remembered as a person who cares.  While I never married or had children, I have always tried to be there for my family and friends.  I have helped my brothers through some tough times financially and most important of all, emotionally. I volunteer in my community.  I wish I could do more.

Regular Contributor

I would like to be remembered as being never satisfied and having the strength of a 1,000,000+ horses. Im sure I have accomplished some things but it pales in comparison to the things I never accomplished because I don't toot my own horn. I grew up in the 60s when being black automatically meant zillions of obstacles. So I am going to take this moment to list a few obstacles I have jumped over, under and went around. I finished college with a BA in Urban Teacher Education because I was one of the affirmative action recepients, first in my family to finsh. 15+ years later, I went back and finished another degree, a BA in pre-law. I fought from the time I was a teenager any racism and bigotry I was subjected to; which in and of itself takes strength from the depths of your soul. I was a pom pom girl on an all white squad, I walked 26 miles for hunger in an all white neighborhood, I walked in stores that didn't want blacks in them and I have lived in neighborhoods where I was the only black. This is off the top of my head. BUT, I am not satisfied that I didn't go to law school and I never owned a home, only went on one out of the US trip, didn't apply my degree to anything useful because I was blocked and overlooked and I wanted more accomplishments in my life. So, I am never satisfied and didn't  accomplish what I want.....probably won't happen but none the less...I tried.

Bronze Conversationalist

Hey - MAKE IT HAPPEN! You've done so much that it's a shame to quite now. The sky's the limit, so reach for it! From what you wrote about all the things you've done, I know you'll succeed in anything you want to do.
Regular Contributor

I think you should change this from "never satisfied" to "never gave up and always worked to make the world a better place".   What a strong, determined person you were and are.   What a great example of showing what one can accomplish if they persevere.

Regular Contributor

I'd say you've accomplished a lot!
Regular Contributor

For being a kind and loving person 

Periodic Contributor

I want to be remembered for my love and compassion for animals.  I want to be remembered for my compassion for friends and family, and those less fortunate.  I want to be remembered for being there when someone needed support or to listen to them when they just wanted to talk.  I hope that people remember me for being a good person despite my flaws.  I hope I am remembered for being me.

Regular Contributor

I wish that my kids would always remember that I stepped up to the plate when their father walked away. I alone made sure there was always food on your plate and clothes on your back and I did it within my income. Ok - they don't remember nor care.

Failing that - remember all the homeless critters I have taken in and loved until it was their time to leave me. 

Regular Social Butterfly

...soft place to land for my daughters and their families...

I do NOT want a specific place; just a state of mind...

AND I WANT THE COUNTRY I LIVE IN AND FOR TO STOP SANCTIONING MURDER WITH AUTOMATIC WEAPONS.

Thank you.

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Contributor

As a helpful nurse as I assisted moms to give birth for 21 years in the labor and delivery unit. 🙂

Bronze Conversationalist

I want to be remembered for my perseverence (aka stubbornness).  When  I was 15 years old I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease and put to bed for a year.  No school, no friends, nothing.  I screamed until my parents contacted the school system and discovered that tutors were sent to homes of students too sick to attend classes.  I graduated with my class!  Then my parents refused to let me attend college even though I was accepted to an excellent college.  They said that girls didn't need an education because their job was to take care of their future husband and children and keep the house clean.  I spent my working career in an office (and a volunteer swimming instructor). I left home and my controlling parents at the legal age (then) of 21. At age 35 the Crohn's disease had progressed to the point where most of my intestines had to be removed. Until then I'd been a SCUBA diver.  After I healed I took up tennis, and then discovered running.   Ah!  I'd found my sport!  Currently, at age 80, I  still run.  My sons started running and swimming when they were children because 'mommy ran and swam'.  

After I retired, I decided to make my dream come true - to get a degree.  I enrolled in college via home study.  I earned a Bachelor's degree in natural health and graduated with high honors.  Went on for my Masters.  My older son,  a paramedic, decided to return to college - if Mom could do it, so could he.  Finished my Master's in Herbology and decided to finish what I'd started.  My sons and husband encouraged me to go on.  Eight years after starting, I graduated with a PhD in Natural Medicine.  Age 78 years and could be addressed as 'doctor'.  My older son went on and a year ago he earned his PhD.  Younger son had earned his degree.  Then granddaughter decided she'd go to college since Mawmaw did, her grandpa and uncles did, and she wasn't going to be left out.  She graduated as an elementary school teacher with highest honors and was inducted into the Honor Society.  It's not only satisfying to have my own ambitions realized, but then to see my sons and granddaughter follow in my footsteps makes it even more rewarding.  I want to be remembered as the woman who was almost 'gutless' because of the Crohn's disease and surgeries, but had enough 'guts'  to push on and realize her dreams.  And I'm not finished yet!  

Super Contributor

Wow that's a wonderful story! I was diagnosed with Crohn's at age 13 but suffered with it in school. After having surgery at age 16 it never returned. I know how lucky I am. I am truly inspired by your persevereance of your education! Wow! Getting your PhD is an amazing accomplishment. And so great for your brain to keep studying and learning!

Regular Contributor

Wow - that was an amazing story.   What an inspiration you must be to those who know you.

Contributor

Raising good, decent, caring children into reliable, loving adutls.  Always trying my best to do the right thing.

Contributor

SERVING GOD DOING HIS  WORKS TRYING TO BE THE KEEPER OF HIS GATE BY SHOWING LOVE, CARING , GIVING OF MYSELF UNSELFISHLY AND UNDERSTANDING OF MY FELLOW WOMEN AND MEN... SOCIAL NETWORKING AND SOCIAL SERVICING THOSE IN NEED NOT THEE GREEDY. SHOWING LOVE TO THOSE WHOM DID NOT RECIPERICATE IT , THOSE WHOM HATED OR DISLIKED ME. KNOWING THAT GOD ALWAYS HAD ME IN HIS SIGHT, MIND BODY AND SOUL IN SPIRIT AND IN TRUTH. THAT I GAVE MY LIFE TO GOD KNOWING THAT WITHOUT HIM I WOULD NOT HAVE A LIFE.. EVEN AS I ENCOUNTERED MANY RELIGIONS, FAITH OR PRACTICES TO EACH ONES OWN I STOOD FAST ON BELIEVING IN HIM AND HE IN ME. THESE ARE THE THINGS I WANT TO BE REMEMBER FOR BY MY FRIENDS, FAMILY, AND ASSOCIATES.

PEACEQUEEN M JOHNSON
Super Contributor

I'd like to be remembered for my love of reading.  And giving books away constantly.  I've been told I've inspired others to read and it was my ultimate gift.

I have discovered the secret of gravity, as a result of 20 years of my own private study. My four books were self-published, revealing the results. The previous unsuccessful prevailing attempts by many other scientists were unsuccessful, including that of Einstein who admitted that the most important unanswered question is the relationship betwee "matter and field". Most of my technical papers were rejected because these organizations couldn't find anyone to review them! So Iwrote and published 4 books on the subject. However some short articles were written and published by the American Chemical Society after I demonstrated the correlations betweeb chemistry, electronics and electronics and my theory. I published my books privately using my own limited funds, and they have been sold throughout the world in small quantiities. I have my own website ("www.science-site.net") and one of the links has a puzzle that demonstrates the electric properties of a metal (copper). Take a penny and separate the electron and protons and place each opposing the other at each end of a football field (you will be surprised). I am now working on a toy to show some of the actions of an atom, which will also be surprising and for children to also play with!

Trusted Contributor

i was a contributor i put my 50 years in the work force and served my country when asked.

Regular Contributor

That I did my best. Maybe my kids didn't think so sometimes, after their father died when our daughter was twelve, our son seven. I had to work full time, my mom  stayed with us for several years to keep them safe while I worked. I tried to do things with them--concerts, trips, parties. They have survived into their forties;  have never been in trouble. If that's a testament to my raising them alone, I'll take it. 

I want to be remembered for making others better as a result of my interaction with them and that impact lasts long after I am gone.  We contiune to teach in the stories that others tell about us. 

Regular Contributor

She made want to DANCE!

I would like to be remembered as a person that helped to make this world a better place. I create a place to take care of people facing mental illness to help then to be better integrate in society.  I do not tolerate discrimination and bigotry. 

Regular Contributor

What a great thing to  be remembered for.  You must be a very patient and kind person.  The world needs more like you.   Thank you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP