Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What do you love about your father?

Message 11 of 31

My dad was the hardest working person I ever knew.  He was generous and he did not discriminate when it came to people in need.  He would help anyone and everyone.  He taught my brothers and I the importance of hard work, community service, that your word is your bond and so much more.  He was often gone working more than one job and he was not overly demonstrative but he showed his love by fixing our bike chains or building us a play house that still stands to this day, over 50 years, later.  He was always humming or whistling and he loved a good joke.  He had twinkling green eyes and a dimple in his chin that somehow always made him look mischievious.  He died in 2009 and I miss him very much.  I know how blessed I was to have him for my father.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 31

My dad was the best.  His family meant everything to him.  He did his best to provide for us and was willing to help whenever he could.  He was fun and had a great sense of humor.  I loved being with him and doing things with him.  I sure do miss him.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 31

My dad was our father and mother. In the late 60s my parents divorced. It was unheard of a father raisibg his kids

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 31

I cant say eniugh

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 31

My dad had a great sense of humor.  He was very funny and made all around him laugh.  Sometimes unintentionally!  My cousins would also say "you are so lucky to have such a funny dad".  In my teens, my reply was always "yeah, try living with him". Later, I really appreciated his positive outlook and joy he had when making others laugh.  He has been gone 6.5 years and I miss laughing with, and at him!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 31

Everything revolved around my Dad. He was respected highly in the community and by his family. I idolized my Dad and listened to him when he spoke as though it were gospel. He was the youngest of 6; he and his 5 brothers were carpenters and were in business for themselves.  My Dad was a finish carpenter and could build anything. My mother was the disciplinarian and very serious. My Dad was loving and affectionate. He was funny and told jokes and performed magic tricks. He was talented too and played the fiddle, guitar and harmonica. He also had a beautiful singing voice.  He worked hard, never missed a day of work and believed a man's word was his bond. I loved him dearly and miss him to this day. 

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 31

I come from a family of 8 kids. My father worked wonders, if not miracles. My mother didn't have to go out into the work force; she took care of the home front, so Dad supported all of us. We always ate well to the point of being spoiled. We all had bikes, sports equipment, guitars, you name it. Our house might have been small for our size of family, we had old cars, we didn't always get new clothes for easter or school, but we got what mattered. We always got new shoes when needed because worn or outgrown shoes will mess up your health more than old clothes and hand-me-downs.

My Father was a good role model. I learned work ethic; not to accept anything less than my best. I learned that a Daddy's job was to take care of his family at all costs. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 31

I grew up in the 60s during a time when it was still a "woman's place to be in the kitchen." Well that didn't fly in our house because when my mom worked late and wasn't awake to prepare our lunches ( my sister and I ran home from school for lunch), my dad prepared  hot soup and sandwiches cut into 4 squares. One half of the sandwich was chicken, ham or bologna and the other half was peanut butter and jelly. What a treat! We only had that hour between the opening of the "Dick Van Dyke"show, and the first full commercial during "The Love of Life"  so we ate, kissed him good-bye, and ran back.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 31

Mike and the Mechanic's song, "The Living Years" pretty much summed up my dad's and my relationship.  We didn't see eye to eye.  He was controlling and I kind of resented him for it,  It's just too hard to talk about.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 31

My dad instilled in me a life-long appreciation for baseball starting at the age of five. As a Red Sox fan who has seen both curses, and blessings, I will always be grateful to him..

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark