Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!

Info Seeker

Re: What do you love about your father?

Message 21 of 31

I loved his humorous spirit. He always had us laughing and was like a big kid. I miss him with all my heart. Happy Father's day Daddy!!

Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 22 of 31

My father was always a very loving person, but he could be very stern when he needed to, and took a great interest in challenging my mind with things like books and crossword puzzles.  He raised me with good morals. He lived by the golden rule and encouraged me to do so too. He always said "The worst truth in the world is better than a lie!". He had a great sense of humor and taught me endurance through the painful times in life was a matter of "walking into the wind, head down, putting one foot in front of the other".  He's been gone since 2002, but he lives on in my heart through the lessons & joys he gave me.

Social Butterfly

Message 23 of 31

My father had a great sense of humor.  If I felt angry or upset, he always knew the way to get me laughing and to forget what I was upset over.  He only had an 8th grade education, but he went back to school when he lost his job after 19 years to better himself for his family.  He was a foster father to my mother's 5 brothers and sisters after their mother died, and he had only been married to my mom for 3 years and hadn't started their own family.  He had the most common sense of anyone I knew and was there to guide me when I needed advice.  It was my fate and pleasure to take care of him in the last 2-l/2 years of his life and I miss him every day.  Yes I was a "Daddy's girl" and proud of it.

Info Seeker

Message 24 of 31

Although my father was strict, he was logical and caring. He had a religious background and applied his values to raising us with guidance and love.  Although I am now almost 70 and he has been gone for many years now, I can still see his face, hear his voice and I apply what I learned from him to my own life.  My two brothers agree that he was a good father and a great example of how a dad should be.

Info Seeker

Message 25 of 31
I loved my father's sense of wonder.
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 26 of 31

My Dad was mostly a gentle, hard-working, loving Dad...he taught me how to do a lot of things - ride a bike, maneuver many  hurdles in life, but mostly he taught me "patience and fortitude," as a motto to follow.  He dearly loved G-d as well, and though he didn't talk about it so much, he did live in that love by the way he always looked after his family.

Info Seeker

Message 27 of 31

My Dad was and still is my hero even though he has past.  I miss him everyday.  At times he worked up to three jobs to keep my mother and my brother and sisters comfortable never really thinking of himself. (We were a family of eight.)  He always made certain that we were clothed and feed and had treats.  He wore his clothes until they were frayed and had no choice but to get more.  He taught myself and my siblings how to be hard workers and have pride in our work when alot of younger people were loosing that trait.  Every summer we looked forward to the two weeks that my father was able to give himself totally to us taking us camping with no interuptions. Even as we grew older, Dad always told us we had a HOME if we left and if we every found ourselves in any sort of trouble to call and he would always come.  He past the traits he gave us to my great nephews who are now 19 and 23.  They think about him often and admit that they are better young men because of him.

Conversationalist

Message 28 of 31

My Dad was an honest, hard-working, generous and caring man who was very easy going. He loved people and people loved him. When he died at the tender age of 40 there was a line down the block waiting to get in to his wake. I'll never forget the time he took me fishing off the bridge at the ocean. He bought sea worms for bait and I was afraid to bait my hook because the worms had "hooks" on them. He baited my hook for me and taught me about fishing. He caught a puffer and said "Watch this" and he proceeded to rub its belly and made it puff up. I'll always remember what he used to say to us kids when we had a "boo boo". He'd say "Don't walk on it for a week." Always made us laugh and forget our little problem. I miss you and love you, Dad.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 29 of 31

No matter what problem I took to him or at what age, he had the same four words for every problem.  He is gone now but his words stick with me, "trust in the Lord."  He was an avid listener and always there for me during the roughest times of my life, although he shared custody and I lived with Momma, he was there for me when it really counted.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 30 of 31

Whatever else he was (and was not) his behavior helped teach me independence, fortitude and gifted me with a thirst for knowledge.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors