Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

What are you reading?

Does anyone have any good book recommendations? I'm finishing up "The Testaments" by Margaret Atwood. I highly recommend it, but now I'm looking for new suggestions.

Thanks!

Rachel

P.S. I saw this post on AARP.org recently. It has some recommendations for new books. Check it out: https://www.aarp.org/entertainment/books/info-2020/spring-books-preview.html?cmp=EMC-DSO-NLC-WBLTR--...

Social Butterfly

Just finished "The Reading List" and "Before We Were Yours."  Enjoyed both.

Super Contributor

I write a blog giving recommendations for books about adults over 50,RipeReads.net I just finished a fun book called The Lager Queen of Minnesota by J. Ryan Stradal, and am now loving reading A Year by the Sea by Joan Anderson. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment (11/30/22) @UpperHandsPianoI will stop by. Maybe there are some "tame" Mysteries listed. Lol, too old for the "shut them up" books. 🤣😂Happy Reading All, Nicole 🙂

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@AnonymousJust read "The Last Flight" and "The Lies I Tell" by Julie Clark and "The Beauty in Breaking" by Michele Harper and "The Good Nurse" by Charles Graeber. All well written.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@UpperHandsPiano Fantastic blog! Great reading list.  I'm going to check out some of your recommendations soon!  Did read "The Midnight Library" and enjoyed it.  Just started "The Golden Notebook" , long, over 600 pages.  An awfully big bite to tackle.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

How did The Golden Notebook go? Did you finish it? 

I've got some new recommendations - LOVED Emma Straub's new book called This Time Tomorrow. Also loved Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt, The Summer Place by Jennifer Weiner, and One Italian Summer by Rebecca Serle. I reviewed all of these and more on RipeReads.net, which features books with mature adult characters 🙂

Social Butterfly

@UpperHandsPiano , I didn't get very far into it.  Maybe at the time, too ambitious a book, between the length and subject matter.  Will try again at another time.  Just finished The Maid by Stephanie Land.  A work of fiction, but a clever premise. The main character has Asperger's. Easy, quick read.

Super Contributor

Yes, if it's really long, it's got to really grab you! I heard The Maid was great. I'll put it on my TBR list 📚

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA  I just finished "Essentialism" by Greg McKeown, and it really is a wonderful book.  It talks about how we use our time, and how we might want to reevaluate that.  Highly recommend.  

Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA , Just finished David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell.  Love his stuff;  he really makes you think!  Christine

Bronze Conversationalist

Well, I'm late to this party, and reading everything Diana Gabaldon has written (Outlander series and more). She has a new book coming out around thanksgiving 2021 too!

Also reading a few historical novels from Beverly Jenkins and a number of books on Smashwords where downloads are especially inexpensive and offer a wide variety of genres.

Periodic Contributor

More in line with health, I've just read:

1. Dodging Energy Vampires by Dr. Christiane Northrup

2. The Empath's Survival Guide by Dr. Judith Orloff

I highly recommend them both to shed light on your business and personal relationships.

MsNYC62
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA wrote:

Does anyone have any good book recommendations? I'm finishing up "The Testaments" by Margaret Atwood. I highly recommend it, but now I'm looking for new suggestions.

Thanks!

Rachel

P.S. I saw this post on AARP.org recently. It has some recommendations for new books. Check it out: https://www.aarp.org/entertainment/books/info-2020/spring-books-preview.html?cmp=EMC-DSO-NLC-WBLTR--...

If you like Margaret Atwood I suggest Isabel Allende.

Daughter of Fortune followed by Portrait in Sepia.

Honored Social Butterfly

I'm re-reading the Arab Table. It's a cookbook, but has stories related to the different recipes, and how they differ as you travel through the Middle East.

My husband is Arab, and I love the peek into his culinary culture..

The Arab Table: Recipes and Culinary Traditions https://www.amazon.com/dp/0060586141/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_WoPIEb1JZ5YJ1

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP