Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Social Butterfly

What Movies Make You Laugh?

I LOVE the documentaries that are really  "mockumentaries."  "Best In Show" takes on the dog show circuit and the owners.  Another is an oldie but a goodie, "Take The Money and Run."  Woody Allen plays a bumbling criminal. 

Two other favorites are Mel Brooks'  "Young Frankenstein" and "High Anxiety." 

Do you have movies that make you laugh?  Christine

Bronze Conversationalist

The Nutty Professor, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, Airplane, Caddyshack, Ghostbusters, Elf, Home Alone, Anchorman, Meet The Parents The Hangover (and it's sequels), and Once Upon A Time In Hollywood are just some of them.

Social Butterfly

Steve the @postman29 Airplane a classic! Once Upon A time In Hollywood played to perfection by Brad Pitt. I know most guys won't watch The Princess Bride, but clever, funny and there's rhyming! All the others make up a good binge-worthy comedy weekend.

Honored Social Butterfly

Son of Pink Panther and other Pink Panther movies, Police Squad movies, Smokey and the Bandit…all make me chuckle! Anything silly, I guess. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

There is a movie (and its sequels) that few people get, but, for me, is hilarious.  That movie is Re- Animator.  A mad scientist has a serum that reanimates dead things.  The joke is that the scientist has OCD and can't stop himself from reanimating every dead thing he finds. And they play this funny music every time he thinks about it before he does it.

Kudos
Views
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Rhymesometimes any movie with Eddie Murphy. Lol he is a mess 🤣😂

Trusted Social Butterfly

The Pink Panther movies and some of Woody Allen's movies, especially Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex. 

More recently, the only thing that made me laugh hard was the TV cartoon, Rick and Morty.   Rick is like a drunken Dr. Who who takes his grandson, Morty, on dangerous adventures in time, space, different dimensions, alternate realities, etc..

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky , Peter Sellers terrific actor, really liked him in "Being There."  Can't go wrong with Woody Allen.  Christine

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

One series of movies draw me into watching them again over and over and over.

They were funny, but not side splitting funny.

The BACK TO THE FUTURE series....especially the original and the third installment.

Conversationalist

>>They were funny, but not side splitting funny.

Nothing wrong with that! Most iconic 80s movies were films I never saw until years later, including the BTTF trilogy, despite being at the perfect, eh, demographical age for all of them when they were released. (I lived on the outskirts of town and didn't get to see a lot of films growing up.)

But I've since seen all three BTTF films, and while I'd fail at any trivia about them, great Scott!, I certainly enjoyed them. I really liked the one set mostly in the Old West. I remember reading, at the time, they filmed the two BTTF sequels back to back, which was a first...and one or two other film franchises followed this lead.

Silver Conversationalist

The Heat, Bridesmaids, Identity Thief, Along Came Polly, Just Go With It, Meet The Fockers, Big Daddy, Home Alone 1 & 2, Elf, Daddy’s Home 1 & 2, Miss Congeniality, The Proposal, Cheaper By The Dozen 1 & 2, Father Of The Bride; and Vacation x 3

Conversationalist

Okay, there's a list!  Cheaper By the Dozen and Father of the Bride star Steve Martin and you can't go wrong with him! 

Silver Conversationalist

My all-time funniest movie was from 1974:  "Blazing Saddles".  Today's cultural climate will probably not appreciate the humor that was part of that zeitgeist .  For old guys like me - it still works.  😃

Conversationalist

Others have said — I think including Mel Brooks himself — that "Blazing Saddles" could never get made today. And they're probably right. I don't possess the gray matter or articulateness to discuss it intellectually but I think, currently, with a very diverse audience, it would still have everyone laughing out loud in spite of themselves and leaving the theater in a very good mood.

Social Butterfly

@AvocadoDog Mel Brooks is pure genius!  The movie "High Anxiety" where Mel spoofs the Hitchcock movies, a total gem. . .  and Mel can sing too! Christine

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

It broke one particular barrier that all guys find funny.

Remember the bean dinner eating scene around the campfire?

Social Butterfly

@nctarheel , Oh no, are armpit farts far behind?😉 It is a classic movie. Christine

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

"Young Frankenstein," absolutely! There's a million quotable lines in that. "He vas my boyfriend!"

Love most of the Christopher Guest movies as well. "Best In Show" is fun, especially Fred Willard's obnoxious judge character who knows nothing about dogs. Well, Fred Willard in pretty much all of Guest's stuff, usually playing the same basic jackass! His "just a thought" scene in "A Mighty Wind" always kills me. 

I think my favorite Guest film is "Waiting for Guffman," though.

Other favorites, in no particular order: 

"It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"

"Caddyshack"

"Airplane!"

"The Naked Gun"

"Bridesmaids"

"Murder By Death"

"The Jerk"

"Blazing Saddles"

"Pee-Wee's Big Adventure"

"Vacation" (the original, not the recent remake)

"Christmas Vacation"

"Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"  

"Rat Race"

Social Butterfly

@AvocadoDog , Awesome list! Bringing back some wonderful memories! "Taffeta darling?"  One of my husband's favorite lines. Now I want to go back and watch so many of them!  Christine

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP