Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Were you a first-time parent later in life?

Retired Community Manager

Were you a first-time parent later in life?

Did you wait to have children until middle age? If so, what was your experience like? What challenges did you face that younger parents might not? What were the advantages of waiting?

Read stories of what it was like for these first-time fathers over 50.

Contributor

I adopted my daughter when I was 47 years old. She was 7 1/2 months old. While I was old enough to be her grandmother, she was my first child. I found that I had several advantages over young parents. I had an established career and was moving towards my highest salary during my career. Because of this I didn't have to worry about loosing my job or not getting a promotion when I needed time off to care for a sick child. 

Another advantage was that I was financially comfortable and had the funds for the very expensive first years of diapers, formula and child care. 

Having had observed my friends raising their children I was able to learn parenting techniques and also what not to do. A great advantage. 

On the downside, I didn't have the energy that most young parents have. This didn't stop me from attending most sports practices, games and other activities.  In fact I felt keeping busy with my daughter kept me young.  I'm now over 60 and my daughter is a freshman in college. I don't regret for a minute having a child young enough to be my granddaughter. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP