Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: The Magnolia Tree

Message 61 of 67

Hi Lydia,

Wow!!!!!!! What a beautiful flower. I called you Joyce by mistake before, sorry. I see now Joyce Kilmer wrote the poem "Trees".

Mr. Kilmer was right in writing, "Only God can make a tree".

Hubert G. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 67

Image result for PHOTOS OF THE MAGNOLIA TREEHello Hubert,

My name is Lydia and I am the one who posted the picture of that beautiful magnolia tree back on the 13th of October.  I also posted the classic poem entitled "Trees" written in 1913 by the poetess Joyce Kilmer.  I just wanted to thank you for acknowledging my post.  I am  glad you enjoyed the photo and the poem.  So here's another pic -- this time of the beautiful flower of our delightful tree.  Enjoy!

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 67

Hi Joyce,

What a beautiful tree! Keep writing poems. You bring more life to the magnolia tree.

Hubert G.

P.S. Let your friends know about this site.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 67

What a beautiful tree indeed!  I have no magnolia tree story to tell.  So I offer this photo and a famous and most fitting poem about and entitled simply "Trees"  by Joyce Kilmer.

Trees 
I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 67

Hi Ms. Soosie,

Thank you for the kind words. It means so much.

Hubert G.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 67

What a sweet story.  I have a big Magnolia Tree in my front yard and love it.  Neighbors have taken blooms and greenery at different times to decorate.  

I love to write also and have a book.  I have not done anything with it yet, but it is my humorous view of a dsyfunctional family.  It is a self help book written with humor.

Loved your story.  Keep writing.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

The Magnolia Tree

Message 67 of 67

Hi you can call me Hubert G.

I remember when I was in high school about 50 years ago. My horticulture teacher visited my house to help arrange my mother Violar plants and flowers in her yard. This was to help me with my grades in school. She agreed. Everything was going fine until the teacher wanted to move certain flowers. Mom said, "You'r not going to move this flower." When everything was over I got an excellent grade in his class. Mom said, "The yard do look better." She always try to be encouraging to her 12 children, 7 boys and 5 girls. Dad did too in his on way. He was a hard worker. He showed us how to work. We were a Sharecropper family during the 1930's to 1960's. We moved off the farm into our own house, that we had built by picking cotton to pay for it. (The house is still there today in Lynchburg, SC with the magnolia tree in the front yard) 

We move off the farm in our own house. What a happy day! Dad was able to rest from his hard work for 10 years then he died.  Mom later came down with Alzheimer's disease. I wanted to write down some things mother told me about the pass but now it was to late. She could not carry on those clear conversations any more.

One day while it was my turn to set with her, I decided to write that book. What would be the title of it? I said a prayer, stood up from my chair, walked to my mother's front door and saw the magnolia tree in her yard. I knew I needed more to the title. So a few days late while driving to work I said in my mind, "Magnolia, Magnolia, Where Are You?" That provide to be my first book title.

So now there is a second book and 3 screenplay and more.

I send a challenge out to all. What is your magnolia story? If you live in the eastern part of the United States you will see these tree often. A fellow writer and friend of mine just returned from Switzerland. He saw the trees there too.

Try this, have the passager in your car spot a magnolia tree then have them count to 15, as you drive you should spot another magnolia tree. Let me know if it works and what state you are in. I am in South Carolina.

Love your magnolia (Mom)!

Thanks

Hubert G.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark