Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Super Contributor

The Magnolia Tree

Hi you can call me Hubert G.

I remember when I was in high school about 50 years ago. My horticulture teacher visited my house to help arrange my mother Violar plants and flowers in her yard. This was to help me with my grades in school. She agreed. Everything was going fine until the teacher wanted to move certain flowers. Mom said, "You'r not going to move this flower." When everything was over I got an excellent grade in his class. Mom said, "The yard do look better." She always try to be encouraging to her 12 children, 7 boys and 5 girls. Dad did too in his on way. He was a hard worker. He showed us how to work. We were a Sharecropper family during the 1930's to 1960's. We moved off the farm into our own house, that we had built by picking cotton to pay for it. (The house is still there today in Lynchburg, SC with the magnolia tree in the front yard) 

We move off the farm in our own house. What a happy day! Dad was able to rest from his hard work for 10 years then he died.  Mom later came down with Alzheimer's disease. I wanted to write down some things mother told me about the pass but now it was to late. She could not carry on those clear conversations any more.

One day while it was my turn to set with her, I decided to write that book. What would be the title of it? I said a prayer, stood up from my chair, walked to my mother's front door and saw the magnolia tree in her yard. I knew I needed more to the title. So a few days late while driving to work I said in my mind, "Magnolia, Magnolia, Where Are You?" That provide to be my first book title.

So now there is a second book and 3 screenplay and more.

I send a challenge out to all. What is your magnolia story? If you live in the eastern part of the United States you will see these tree often. A fellow writer and friend of mine just returned from Switzerland. He saw the trees there too.

Try this, have the passager in your car spot a magnolia tree then have them count to 15, as you drive you should spot another magnolia tree. Let me know if it works and what state you are in. I am in South Carolina.

Love your magnolia (Mom)!

Thanks

Hubert G.

Honored Social Butterfly

Did you know?

There are around 210 species of magnolia that differ in size, shape, color of the flower and type of habitat. Magnolia trees originate from Southeast Asia and North America, but they have been naturalized to almost all continents in the world because of their beauty. Magnolia usually grows on acidic soils that are rich in nutrients, in areas that provide enough moisture and direct sunlight. It is often planted in parks and on the golf courses because of its ornamental morphology and ability to provide shade. Unfortunately, some species of magnolia are facing uncertain future due to habitat loss as a result of increased human activity.

And.......

Magnolia has dark green, oval shaped leaves that are covered with layer of wax. Leaves are evergreen.

Color of the flower depends on the species and it can be white, yellow, pinkish, purple and green.

Flower of magnolia has pleasant scent that resembles the smell of tropical fruit.

Magnolia blooms from April to June. First flowers develop seven years after planting.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Ok, I have a question. Why is southern women called "magnolias"? Where did this saying come from?

Honored Social Butterfly

Okeedoke, Hubert!   You set forth the challenge and ya made me hafta go look!  But here's what I found out....

Some southern women are called, from time to time, "Steel Magnolias."   A "steel magnolia" is a woman who posses the strength of steel, yet the gentleness of a magnolia.   A southern woman who is strong and independant yet very feminine.  It's origin is a combination of the contrasting images of "steel", a hard metal, and "magnolia", a flower.

Mary Kassian,  a blogger wrote, “Steel Magnolia.  I love the phrase because to me it speaks to the essence of womanhood. The image melds beauty with perseverance, softness with backbone, delicacy with durability, sweetness with stamina." 

And I say, "What a beautiful description!"

Remember:

Steel Magnolias...The Movie

Super Contributor

P.S.   I wonder if it's time for the movies that I wrote 3 scripts about to come to the screens?

I think it will take a Steel Magnolia to do this one.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Lydia,

That's what I am talking about. Informed "Steel Magnolia"!

Thank you.

Super Contributor

Hi Lydia,

Thank you for the great information on the magnolia tree.

I also found that - "Found in the rocks are fossil leaves of many trees and shrubs that show very little difference from the leaves of such plants today: oak, walnut, hickory, grape, magnolia, palm and many others."

You have shown great insight and knowledge. I hope others can see the beauty in them. Not to put one tree above another because they are all God's creation.

Keep up the find work. Thank you AARP for helping us to take it to the next level. 

Thank you.

Honored Social Butterfly

Thank you Hubert.   Enjoy God's gift today!

Super Contributor

Look what I found out there! I have never seen the Magnolia Liliflora that looks like a bird. Do you all have any pictures of some?

Magnolia LilifloraMagnolia Liliflora

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LydiaN586309 @Magnolia2021 @mi4090 @mi4090 @TracyofCotuit this picture is gorgeous. I know your posts are old, but thoroughly enjoyed reading them. Nature is so relaxing 🙂

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Well, this is a picture in keeping with the theme of this page. Ebony and Anna had to develop a vaccine quick because the virus was taking to many lives. Ebony did! Look what flower is on the table. You all take it from there. (one of the ingredient)Ebony's came up with vaccine!Ebony's came up with vaccine!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Magnolia2021 luv the picture. I do not have any Magnolia Trees in my apartment complex. Any in your home surroundings? If yes, would luv a picture 🙂

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Here's how my Mom's magnolia tree looked last week. Her house is still there. No one lived in it since she died. The rich blue South Carolina skies in the background.Mom's Magnolia treeMom's Magnolia tree

Anonymous
Not applicable

You finally got the picture loaded @Magnolia2021 🙂

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Hi @AngelaS57947 For some reason this site is not letting me post pictures.

Hubert

Anonymous
Not applicable

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Hi Ms. Angela,

Thank you for reading these posts. Life is so wonderful. Just looking around us each day brings so much joy. All these posts, books, website and so much more came from a pray and Mom's magnolia tree in her yard.  (magnoliaworks.net)

Now the world is enduring, despite this virus around us. And these thing will past.

Hubert Green

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Magnolia2021 you are welcome 🙂 Any updates and pictures to share with us? I know personally I need an ESCAPE today on this rain all day dreary day.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

March 26,2021 and still enjoying this pic.

Hubert

Hubert

Super Contributor

Lydia, Just breath taking!!! (live)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

What a beautiful tree indeed!  I have no magnolia tree story to tell.  So I offer this photo and a famous and most fitting poem about and entitled simply "Trees"  by Joyce Kilmer.

Trees 
I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.
Super Contributor

Hi Joyce,

What a beautiful tree! Keep writing poems. You bring more life to the magnolia tree.

Hubert G.

P.S. Let your friends know about this site.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Image result for PHOTOS OF THE MAGNOLIA TREEHello Hubert,

My name is Lydia and I am the one who posted the picture of that beautiful magnolia tree back on the 13th of October.  I also posted the classic poem entitled "Trees" written in 1913 by the poetess Joyce Kilmer.  I just wanted to thank you for acknowledging my post.  I am  glad you enjoyed the photo and the poem.  So here's another pic -- this time of the beautiful flower of our delightful tree.  Enjoy!

Super Contributor

Hi Lydia,

Wow!!!!!!! What a beautiful flower. I called you Joyce by mistake before, sorry. I see now Joyce Kilmer wrote the poem "Trees".

Mr. Kilmer was right in writing, "Only God can make a tree".

Hubert G. 

Honored Social Butterfly

What a sweet story.  I have a big Magnolia Tree in my front yard and love it.  Neighbors have taken blooms and greenery at different times to decorate.  

I love to write also and have a book.  I have not done anything with it yet, but it is my humorous view of a dsyfunctional family.  It is a self help book written with humor.

Loved your story.  Keep writing.

Super Contributor

Ms. Soosie,

Can you post a picture of your magnolia tree?

Thank you.

Super Contributor

Hi Ms. Soosie,

Thank you for the kind words. It means so much.

Hubert G.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP