Forced Nursing Home Evictions Must Stop. AARP Foundation Is Helping Protect the Most Vulnerable. Learn How

Info Seeker

Re: Tell us your success story!

Message 1 of 6

After a well-published career as a Princeton historian ("The History of White People" was my most recent scholarly book), I started all over again. I earned a BFA (from Rutgers University) and an MFA (from the Rhode Island School of Design) both in painting. In June Counterpoint Press will publish my memoir, "Old in Art School: A Memoir of Starting Over."

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 6
Hello, you may be running with my cousin down in the Woodlands. Keep up the good work.
Highlighted
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 6

DSC_0739.JPG

Reading blogs, magazines, newspapers and more about women--none of them seemed to be talking to me.  They either wanted me to be too young or too old.  They seemed to think that my best years were behind me, and that basically all I had to look forward to was comfortable shoes, and remembering when.  So I decided to start a blog about women of a certain age.  "thisisyourbestyear" was born out of what I felt was a need for women of a certain age to break out of the mold that says that we are all the same after the age of 50.

We talk about everything from serious to fun items. On any given day we may talk about retirement, divorce, death of a spouse, travel, finance, movies, ziplining, yep ziplining and more. Sometimes we discuss wine, beauty products, gray hair, grandchildren, careers--we talk about everything. Women in over 151 countries are following us.

"thisisyourbestyear" has been well received, and there is more to come. We have been on this journey for six years.  Turning 65 has made me know that the journey is what we make it. You can see more about us at: www.thisisyourbestyear.com or on Facebook--thisisyourbestyear.  We are also on Twitter--@mariciajohns and recently we joined Instagram--thisisyourbestyear.

Remember "thisisyourbestyear". Enjoy the journey.

Community Manager

Message 4 of 6

@g400278g  Wow good for you!  That is quite an accomplishment.  I am a runner and have been for many years but I still struggle to 5k and more as I am getting older.  I can't imagine starting and finishing so well in your first run at 57!!  Quite impressive - you definitely should be showing off that BLING Smiley Happy

AARPTeri
Info Seeker

Message 5 of 6

1st Picture of me and my new BLING!1st Picture of me and my new BLING!Finisher Breakfast!Finisher Breakfast!

Let me start by saying I am not an athletic person and I don't particularly like to work out -- but -- I have always wanted to run a half marathon [13.1 miles] so on September 11, 2017 I started a 16 week training session.  I joined a local running club here called Black Girls Run [Oyster Creek Pearls division] and worked out with them as much as possible, those young ladies really pushed me and never left me behind-I owe them a debt of gratitude.  Some days I ran without stopping but most days I wogged using the Galloway method [walked/jogged]. It was tough and many days I did not want to train and thought I had lost my mind!  On January 14, 2018 at the age of 57 I ran the Aramco Houston Half Marathon and finished with 30 minutes to spare!!!  I had my good luck charms with me, a picture of my late Mother and earrings from my late Brother—I talked to them the whole time I was out there. You are never too old to do anything you set your mind to do.  Now I'm hooked on the "BLING"!!  I have completed a 5k on January 28 [Hot Chocolate 15k/5k], I am scheduled to compete in the following races:  February 24-Darling Dash 5k [benefiting Sickle Cell], March 3-The Woodlands 5k, March 3-Green 6.2--10k. I have figured out how to fund my new addiction:  I take my lunch to work every day so that I can pay my race fees!  I love it!  I'm looking for more races here in Texas!!!!

Community Manager

Tell us your success story!

Message 6 of 6

To celebrate Black History Month, AARP honors African Americans over 50 who are not only making history, but who show us that it is never too late to pursue our dreams, regardless of race, age, gender or disability.  Read this article, https://www.aarp.org/politics-society/history/info-2018/black-success-stories-fd.html and tell us your story here!

AARPTeri