Need more flexibility? Find a part-time job that fits your schedule. Search the AARP Job Board.

Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Stranger Danger

Message 1 of 2

NJ, this is exactly what I want to avoid my daughters having to deal with.

I wish all our Tech Leaders would round-table how to protect all of us, including we who were part of the original tech revolution in the 80s.

Face it, we're now old; we are prey for these predators you described.

Thanks for the detailed info; hope this helps others, because this is a REAL issue!

#VegasStrong

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Stranger Danger

Message 2 of 2

Tuesday April 17, 2018 Salinas, CA 4:00 pm

I was in the back room of our house when I heard someone talking in the front room. I walked out to find that my 90 year old Mother had let a stranger into the living room.... again. Yes , it had happen before.

This time he was a young Man in his early 20’s about 6’ tall, medium build, possibly mixed race Caucasian /

Spanish.

He was clean cut neat black hair and brown or hazel eyes. Dressed in a long sleeve black shirt, black pants and an

orange utility vest.

Knowing there wasn’t much I could do at this point since he was already inside, I knew I had to play it cool somehow. I offered my hand as as a greeting and ask who he was with. He said he was with some new Neighborhood Watch program and that they were going to be doing some things inside the house. WHAT? This raised a double red flag to me .Doing some things inside the house? I don’t think so! And there went my cool. I said “excuse me, do you have a business card or some form of ID?” He replied ” Oh I assure you this is all legate and I’m going to give each of you a brochure at the end of the conversation. Mother was reaching for the brochure that was in his hand and he pulled it back and stuck it in his clip board. I said ” well I would like to see that ID right now before you start a conversation if you don’t mind.”

“Sure” , he said. In fact you can hold my wallet if you would like.” He took his wallet out of his pocket held it up and then stuck it back in his pocket. I said ” Maybe you should just come back later. I would really feel better if you did that” I told him. So then he says ” Who is the primary decision maker here?” As he pulls out a chair “Mind if I sit here? Let’s all just have a seat and talk” Mother blurts out ” Well I’m the Lady of the house and you can go ahead and sit down”

Mother has no idea what could possibly be happening, so I say ” Al right fine, you two just go ahead and talk I’ll, be in my room. I knew this was my chance to get my hands on the phone that was back there and I called the 911 text Line which is a great new feature to have in case you can’t speak out loud in an emergency. I got the information put in to the police dispatch. As I was walking back towards the front room I could hear the intruder asking Mother all kinds of personal questions which she answered without any regards. Dispatch assured me that PD was on their way so I stepped back into the living room and ask again” Who did you say you were with ?” The young Man changed his story completely and started talking about how he was going to help us save money on the home owners insurance. So I said ” well no you’re not because here is the thing , the Police are on their way so maybe you can explain it to them. ” He got up quickly and told Mother, “I will have to get with you later since I don’t want to be harassed by the Police” Once he was out the door I clicked the lock and informed the dispatcher that he was outside and the door was locked. The PD drove through the neighborhood and I have not heard weather they spotted him or not. I didn’t see any vehicle. The dispatcher did mention that there were three of them spotted . Two with orange vests and one with a green vest.

Mother was pissed at me for breaking up her imaginary ”Tea Party” but that’s okay because we are both still alive and nothing was stolen ....yet.

Something to think about.

Our elderly are sometimes more difficult to take care of than children. And there is that transitional period when they can no longer do as many things for themselves but they are not ready to give up their independence. I fully understand and when my time comes I’m sure I will feel the same way. Although Mother is 90, she is still in pretty good health and walks on her own. The scary part is that she can still call a cab if she wants to wander about Town . She is not a prisoner so we can’t stop her. The other scary part is that she still remembers the days when Salinas was a quaint little town and people were friendly and trustworthy. She has no idea what’s really going on. We have tried to warn her of “stranger danger” but she is still trying to be independent . When people stop by she is happy to see “visitors” and she wants to entertain them . We have tried to get her to go to some of the senior centers so she can mingle with people, but she wont’ go and does not like us pestering her. In her mind we are trying to control her and she won’t have any of that. All we can do is keep our eyes open without her knowing. and keep telling her that we love her.

Norma Ray
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies