Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Gold Conversationalist

SENIOR INSECURITY

Never did I imagine I would become a person with insecurities.  My whole life was rather routine and predictable but I was always hopeful something wonderful would happen.  Quite the opposite has been my experience and I feel so terribly fearful of what I will face in the future.  Doctors have been unable to fix my injury and each day is spent alone in misery contemplating a future filled with pain and suffering.  I don't need sympathy but each day I pray for strength and courage to endure and overcome this difficult situation.  Hope is a powerful healer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Gold Conversationalist

Thank you all for responding.  It is good to know there are others who understand how aging affects the way we look at the world and our place in it.  Support and encouragement provide hope that whatever difficulty we are facing we are not alone.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

Thank you all for responding.  It is good to know there are others who understand how aging affects the way we look at the world and our place in it.  Support and encouragement provide hope that whatever difficulty we are facing we are not alone.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Hi @SIMPLEGAL , You are not alone, and you are right about hope.  I went through two bouts of depression in 2014 and 2017.  The smartest thing my therapist said, and the thing I will always remember is, don't isolate and don't ruminate ( running situations over and over in your head) that is the quickest way we get into a depression cycle. The difficult thing about depression is that it is hard to get motivated to do anything. I've always heard, "just do the next right step." Getting up each morning and taking a shower.  Then breakfast, and so on.  The best book I've read on depression ( and I've read plenty ) is " The Upward Spiral: Using Neuroscience to Reverse the Course of Depression, One  Small Chang at a time" by Alex Korb.  Highly recommend.  You mentioned praying, and sound like a woman of faith.  I am too, and will be praying that you get the help and support you need. You can do this.  "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phil 4:13.  Take care,   ---  Christine

Trusted Social Butterfly

@SIMPLEGAL Hope you are feeling better these days.   I am much more insecure in my older years too!  Gone is the confidence of youth.   Insults would roll off my young back easier too.  Older self is much more sensitive.

Honored Social Butterfly

@SIMPLEGAL 

Yes, my hopes for a recovery from your issues that you described. Everything gets a little tougher physically as I get older. And I find that I lose my “filters” as I get older. And yes, the insecurities do creep in from time to time. I’m not sure that there is an exact formula to overcome them…for myself, I try to take my mind off of the present, and look to the future. But, that is with the perspective that I am still mobile, and in reasonably good health. And there is a need for having compassion and understanding…maybe some outward focus, and not as much internal focus, if even in a small way. In other words, at the moment and my current situation, it’s easier to deflect insecurities. 
I wish you well, and hope that you can find something to latch onto to fight off any insecure feeling. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP