Forced Nursing Home Evictions Must Stop. AARP Foundation Is Helping Protect the Most Vulnerable. Learn How

Info Seeker

Re: I am finding its hard to make friends after moving around with my husband in the military

Message 11 of 15

If you have a hobby, join a group.  I found a quilting group and made lots of friends.  Also joined a Senior Center for exercise classes and made several friends.  The trick is to get out.  Walking groups, plays, lectures, etc. and I slowly developed some great friendships after I moved. I only knew my realtor when I got to Bend. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Re: I am finding its hard to make friends after moving around with my husband in the military

Message 12 of 15

I was that military husband who had to move the family every 3 to 4 years. Depending on the branch of service, you should look for volunteer opportunities in the new community. Most communities have a lot of non-profits that are always looking for volunteers. If you have kids in sports or if you enjoy sports, the sporting field is always a good place to make new friends with common interests. If you have a hobby, you can look for groups in the area that are associated with that hobby. You should also look up the ombudsman or any wives groups on whatever base he is attached to. They are a great resource for helping you connect with groups that you might be interested in.

Info Seeker

Message 13 of 15

I always look for a church, and then look for a small group within that church.  I sing, so the choir is the easiest for me.  I get to know a few people, then a few more, and soon I know most of the people in the church.  Then I can intentionally develop closer relationships with the people that I think have the best likelihood of becoming close friends.  It was SO much easier when my children were younger becasue we met during school activities.  Now I have to be more intentional about the process.

Info Seeker

Message 14 of 15

Hi

One area I look to in making friends is to have friends of different ages.  You have to consciously work at it but its possible and rewarding.

Best,

Anne Marie

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Message 15 of 15

Making new friends should be easy but, for some reason it is not. A very good friend lived in Rockford for 40 years where her friends would not get together in person but they would talk on the phone.  She finally moved to a rural community where a lively group of older women get together all the time. Some of them will probably become good friends and some will remain acquaintances. 

My advice is to keep putting yourself out there and don't lose. 

communitygirl