Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Please help me Im a grandad!!

Message 1 of 4
You do not need her forgiveness. She needs to to apologies to you and I would not give anything until she does.

She needs to learn the consequences of her behavior before it's too late....and now is the time to do it.
This may be difficult for you but if you allow her to be a brat she will become a bigger brat and have a miserable life.
Put on your Grandpa pants and tell her
you love her too much to allow her to
behave the way she did and then just wait. It make take a long time but it is
best for her. Good luck Gramps

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

You sound like a very caring grandpa. Typically the parents should be teaching this lesson on a regular basis. It should not be your job. However, I've raised 3 grandsons (now in their 20s). I would not get overly concerned. At 10 she will get upset with lots of adults before age 18. I would let her know its okay to be upset. That you were teaching her a life lesson that everyone learns. Showing appreciation is what big kids do. Then tell her she has the choice to remain mad or accept the lesson. Also grandpa, I would never threaten to do something I would not follow up on. If she does not show appreciation after that she is being stubborn. She does not get the clothes. If she shows appreciation then ask her if she would like the clothes back. She should also thank you for teaching life lessons and the clothes. .  Good Luck. P.S. my guess is she has forgotten the clothes by now. Reminds me when my oldest grandson (now 27) was out of control because his parents were from "don't spank your kids". The child was so out of control and would not listen to anyone. He was 4 years old. On his weekend with me (totally unmanageable) I explained why he was getting a spanking. He told me "you better not - I'll tell my dad....I can't be spanked".  I spanked him. Today at age 27 we are best friends. Children want discipline more than anything else - they just don't know it.  

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

Hi @DarrellW197812 First off, I guess, you should know that I'm not a parent, thus have zero experience in that role. I am, however, a daughter, a from that circumstance tell you this: spare the rod and spoil the child.

If you did not return the clothing, I say don't do it now. Don't miss out on this teachable moment. In my opinion, your granddaughter needs to apologize to you for being ungrateful for the gift. Letting her antics get her what she wants is the antithesis of helping her grow into a responsible, giving, loving adult.

Once she has accepted responsibility for her contributions to this problem, then, I say, return the clothing to her. And maybe take her out for an additional treat, perhaps a movie.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Please help me Im a grandad!!

Message 4 of 4

I recently visited my 10 yr grand daughter. I have been trying to instill in her that she should be appreciative of people who do aor give her things. I bought her some clothes and when she didint seem to apprecite I told her I would just take em back that she didnt apprecite what i did for her. She bustred out to cry and now im MISERABLE!! She doesnt want to spek w me right now. I live in Ga she in myrtle beach. PLEASE HELP ME IM HER 65YR OLD GRAN DAD and I dont know what to say to her I wrote an apology note to her before i left saying how sorry I was asking for forgiveness and a second chance to remain in her life. I t been a weeek now PLEASE PLEASE I LOVE AND ADORE HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kudos
Views
Replies