Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Online Dating Scams

Message 1 of 19

Join a dating site, have some fun, but be careful, alert and always use good judgement no matter where you meet the person. What makes you think that someone you meet at the gym or the grocery store can't scam you? Certainly, you will know what they look like but you don't know who they are or what they are up to. My advice, don't give anybody any money, asking for money is a red flag, one excuse after the other why they can't meet in person is a red flag, their financial crisis and woos is not your responsibility.  And for the ones who post old pictures and are not completely honest about their physically condition, I have no words, it makes no sense, but usually, they are harmless. Dating failures/horrors can happen no matter where you meet the person. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Contributor

Message 2 of 19

Morning , Sonia/allllll other AARP members-followers :

An additional suggestion ...

Although it's certainly  n o t  perfect , because it's  F R E E , why not check out POF ?

Siiiiimply keep your wits about you , & I would again propose treating others as you would want them treating you , & see how it goes ...

Heh , nothing ventured , nothing gained , right ?

Well , since I need to get out the door shortly to my pilates class , everybody  T R Y & stay warm out there today , it being kiiiindA chilly for South Jersey this morning ... 

Handlebarjim ( POF moniker )

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 3 of 19

Don’t lie, posting 20 year old pictures..etc.. you never know, I may not have given you a 2nd look 20 years ago, and find you irresistible now. Not a list of ailments, we all have those, but if you have say..seizures or diabetes I want to know, so if went somewhere and then started feeding unwell, then if I know what it is, we can get you better. Some info about your family is appreciated too. I have very few family here and I think a man who loves his family and keeps in contact with them..I think WOW. So it’s a little bit of all these things that make you more attractive. Just take that chance,truth will always be your best bet..

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 4 of 19

I do not want any communications from Male or Female strangers.

Tags (4)
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 5 of 19

Lol........put a smile on my inactive self.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 6 of 19

I have often wondered the same things , John.

For examples: posting pictures that were taken 15 -20 yrs. ago... Stating you are in excellent health, head full of hair, etc.

If and when the two people meet one another, it is obvious they are much older than their posted pictures, using cane/walker or having other health issues,

almost bald or bald head. etc. all these various things. What is the purpose in not telling the truth upfront and before a meeting in person is planned?

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 7 of 19

I guess they are all hiding at the grocery store, the gym and other places that we can't walk to

Highlighted

Message 8 of 19

I agree there is a fair amount of deception with online dating. We all want to feel accepted so some exaggerate or outwardly lie about who they are. What I don't understand is this - - don't these same people think their date will figure it out, sooner or later? 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 9 of 19

Nice post , well worded, and I agree.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 10 of 19

Not always the case.