Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

One Thing To Make The World Better . . .

Social Butterfly

One Thing To Make The World Better . . .

I'm a big advocate for getting resources to people to improve their mental health.  Having dealt with anxiety / depression myself ,and through numerous family members, I would like to see more general compassion, empathy and kindness in the world. I often try to use humor to brighten someone's day, or just give them a moment to exhale.

Do you have ideas, to help others?  No idea too big or small.

Bronze Conversationalist

@Rhymesometimes 

Be a good listener! Don't make comparisons with your own troubles, just let people know that you are there whenever they need to vent- and that you truly care. Using humor is medicinal and much needed in our world today more than ever. Empathy and kindness seem to be lost arts these days. We just have to keep on trying!

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

Steve @postman29 , You signed, sealed and delivered a great response! Would give you more than one kudo if I could. 

Silver Conversationalist

Hugs are so nice to get AND give ( you kinda have to know the person,just sayin) Hugs are a bit confusing tho. They are free,take very little effort, can be administered anywhere, but so are very hard to get..

Social Butterfly

@LeeS4949  I've heard we need:

4 hugs a day for survival,

8 hugs a day for maintenance,

and 12 hugs a day for growth.  Sounds good to me!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@Rhymesometimes wrote:

Having dealt with anxiety / depression myself ,and through numerous family members, I would like to see more general compassion, empathy and kindness in the world.

I agree @Rhymesometimes . A simple kind word or a smile could help many people at certain times in their life. Doesn't cost a thing, but many people can't even be bothered with doing that. 

Social Butterfly

Hey @Vexed, you bring a smile on my face when I hear from you. 😃 Hope your weekend is going well.  Take care.

Silver Conversationalist

I've found that what we all know about but never talk about can be funny.. Ideas carefully chosen and expressed with subtle humor does wonders for not only someone else's day but also my own.

Social Butterfly

@LeeS4949  So true!  Thank you for sharing that.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

You are very welcome  😀

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

iF I COULD GET MENTAL HEALTH HERE I WOULD BUT NO THERAPISTS HERE WILL ACCEPT medicare advantage, no they will not.  Do you know how mental health help is GONE WITH THE WIND??ITS ALL GONE--I LOOKED EVERYWHERE THEY DONT WANTbonklers.gif MEDICARE AND MEDICAID. -0-I HAVE clinical depression with anxiety, i take meds for this,but no (swears badly_ f---- dang therapists will take this **bleep** insurance."Psychology today" has nothing. the local charity welfare place hor homeless and poor has no therapists or they won't let me in. MEDICARE AND MEDICAID ARE DEAD.or dying. _teevee__revamp_by_madb0y.gif   (this is my therapy.)Im considering reading and studying psychology and having "non professional" counseling maybe groups   and charge money.,hell those idiot professionals don;t want to help!!  im pretty smart,i study subjects very wellm so I could hang up my own shingle.--you don't need to have real professional  degrees here--I have a BA IN ART,  C  HAH HAH!!' COULD DO ART THERAPY, ITS VERY HELPFUL.--IVE TAKEN EBOUGH ART THERAPY,I KNOW HOW THEY ARE RUN. 

Social Butterfly

@clarachan I'm sorry to hear that there have not been many options for you.  I think you are on to something.  Sometimes people just need an informal support group to share what they are going through, and maybe even share resources.  The most important thing, is that people who struggle with depression/ anxiety to know that they are not alone, and to continue to have hope.  All the best.  I think art therapy is a very cool idea.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP