Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Limited Communication with Family...Sad!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Limited Communication with Family...Sad!

Hello Everyone,

I was just wandering if all seniors have issues with seeing there kids, grandkids and great grandkids?

I only have (1) child, but (3) grandkids, and (2) are grown.  I've got twin great grands, a boy & girl, that I only see if my grand daughter needs a baby sitter, no phone calls from anyone to say how are you doing or feeling.  Everyone is busy with there jobs and families. We all live in same city and the only time I see them is Christmas or an occasional event involving them, that I'm happy to attend to just see them.

Am I alone?

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

Regular Social Butterfly

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Butterfly565 

Hello Laurie,

• I'm happy for youHeart Know you enjoyed that, I got about a 15 minute call from my daughter on her way to work☺

I'm happy with any communication no matter the length.

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

Regular Social Butterfly

Laurie, great for you!

I think we all need to realize we and our children are not our parents and us!

I went to "concerts" with my folks at local clubs; my children and I shared our first concert with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers at the Irvine Antetheum (50 vs 20K).

They still love that first experience, as I still love my experience with I think Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz.

The communication changes over the generations are not wrong; I used to go to the nursing home to see gggma; it was awful, if smelled bad, and she did not know us.

But now, with us all spread out all over the world, what is wrong with electronic communications? Yes, my gggmom saw us weekly, but did that actually count?

Just saying, as long as everyone lives a good life, why does the distance or difference matter?

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Social Butterfly

I'm just realizing that my expectations are out of sinc with todays world.

I moved in with my daughter and grandson recently.  We don't sit down to

dinner... they fix something to eat and go to their rooms and devices.

We don't watch TV together.... I voiced my disappointment that we don't

watch Jeopardy together and my daughter told me "that's old school".

It's everyone on their own (except for $$).  

My 4 grown kids don't call me and sometime I leave several messages

before they call me back.  My senior friends have the same experience.

Just look here at AARP and see how little real communication there is here.

It's more **bleep** about politics and not relationships.

It's sad because something important has been lost.  My grandkids

don't say thank you for gifts so I stopped giving.  But that is sad because

gift giving brought joy. 

Where do you think this is heading?

Gold Conversationalist

It IS sad to lose touch with family/friends.  Life seems to be more about having things to do rather than spending time with those we love. 

@mi4090 wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I was just wandering if all seniors have issues with seeing there kids, grandkids and great grandkids?

I only have (1) child, but (3) grandkids, and (2) are grown.  I've got twin great grands, a boy & girl, that I only see if my grand daughter needs a baby sitter, no phone calls from anyone to say how are you doing or feeling.  Everyone is busy with there jobs and families. We all live in same city and the only time I see them is Christmas or an occasional event involving them, that I'm happy to attend to just see them.

Am I alone?

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @SIMPLEGAL 

A different generation and people that brought them into the world aren't as important anymore.  I talked with mother and father at least twice a week or more, and visited them weekly before they passed away.  Life is short, and you will regret not spending more time with grandparents, parents and your elderly relatives when they are gone.

Check this out about the senior population  https://www.facebook.com/octoberkitchen/photos/a.174756292536943/2179969082015644/?type=3&theater

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

Gold Conversationalist

My dear mi4090.....if only more people understood how important FAMILY is.  I was so fortunate to have wonderful parents and I miss them so much!  I have seen how unimportant it is to get together for traditional family dinners etc. and it makes me so SAD!!!  One day (maybe) the FAMILY will once again become the center of life....I hope!

@mi4090 wrote:

Hello @SIMPLEGAL 

A different generation and people that brought them into the world aren't as important anymore.  I talked with mother and father at least twice a week or more, and visited them weekly before they passed away.  Life is short, and you will regret not spending more time with grandparents, parents and your elderly relatives when they are gone.

Check this out about the senior population  https://www.facebook.com/octoberkitchen/photos/a.174756292536943/2179969082015644/?type=3&theater

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @Butterfly565 

Laurie you are so right about the young folks and technology.  Even my daughter told me that she has to visit her grands (my great grands) via video calls, and as I stated all live in same city.  I remember when family would be together for every holiday (i.e. Mother's Day, Father's Day, Easter, 4th of July, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas and each others birthdays).  I agree, a thing of the past and so sad.

This is a link about the senior population that is so true https://www.facebook.com/octoberkitchen/photos/a.174756292536943/2179969082015644/?type=3&theater

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

Regular Social Butterfly

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP