On Memorial Day weekend, we remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice. AARP also offers resources and news for military veterans and families.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you keep in touch with friends?

Message 11 of 18

You are a strong woman!  Praying for strength and healing for you and your husband.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 18

One friend I keep in touch with on a daily basis through email.  We started out as penpals using the old fashioned method of pen and paper.  But when computers became the norm we switched to email.  My other two best friends I talk to at least once a week on the phone or by text.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 18

Daily email exchanges with my cousin who lives across the country from me.  A weekly phone conversation with my friend of 39 years who was a former co-worker and 12 years older than I; and emails to penpals who live in other countries and to a couple of close friends who I don't get to see often.  "Real" cards for birthdays and other special occasions.  Many people have their own preferred method of communicating and keeping in touch, so I like to be flexible and communicate "their" way.
Whichever way we communicate, it's great to have such "close" friends.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 18

Old fashioned phone calls, snail mail letters,  invites to pop over for a visit, go on local walks, and whatever things that force me to not stay home alone and be alone.. the older you get the less friends you have unless you keep cultivating.  I also like being a grandma to those who don’t have one . Keepsyou tou g and laughing snd they love it too!  We need Grans Connected to Kids. Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 18

of course, people will say email.  Technology is ruling communication.  But I have friends (older than myself) who don't have computers, or even a smartphone (I don't have a smartphone either), so we do things the old fashioned way, snail mail!   My friends look forward to getting that letter and it keeps me busy writing to them.  One person, I write a poem a week to her.  The other friend gets a recipe that I tried out!  Cards are sent out for birthdays and special holidays.  I think this is a long lost art!

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 18

@mickeyh848963  Caregiving certainly is hard!  We also have a forum for caregivers that I want to be sure you are aware of, we have experts answering questions and just good conversation among caregivers like yourself. -- Click here to see https://community.aarp.org/t5/Caregiving/ct-p/Caregiving

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 18

I am 74 years old. I had 3 BFFs for nearly 50 years. One passed with cancer. One died in an auto accident. One moved 1500 miles away. Then my husband of 43 years had an accident followed by 7 strokes. I am his caregiver. I have little time to communicate with my one remaining long-distance. It is hard to make new friends when I don’t work outside the home. When we go to church, my energy and attention belong to my husband. He goes to adult daycare, thanks to to VA; but I am usually so tired or behind that I rest or try to catch up.

I try to walk three miles a day. 

People who who have not been full-time caregivers have no idea what it’s like. Most who have finished a course of caregiving just want to get back to their old friends.

I get some help from one daughter who lives locally and daily encouragement from a son who lives 745 miles away. I see a counselor twice a month. Theses three qare my new BFFs.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

How do you keep in touch with friends?

Message 18 of 18

Life gets hectic and it can be difficult to stay in touch.  How do you keep in touch with your friends?  What advice can you share that works?

Read this article about reaching aout to hold friends:  https://www.thegirlfriend.com/relationships/happened-reached-old-friends-scattered-far-wide?intcmp=C...

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies