Know someone over 50 who is making a difference? Nominate them for the AARP Purpose Prize.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you keep in touch with friends?

Message 1 of 2

I am 74 years old. I had 3 BFFs for nearly 50 years. One passed with cancer. One died in an auto accident. One moved 1500 miles away. Then my husband of 43 years had an accident followed by 7 strokes. I am his caregiver. I have little time to communicate with my one remaining long-distance. It is hard to make new friends when I don’t work outside the home. When we go to church, my energy and attention belong to my husband. He goes to adult daycare, thanks to to VA; but I am usually so tired or behind that I rest or try to catch up.

I try to walk three miles a day. 

People who who have not been full-time caregivers have no idea what it’s like. Most who have finished a course of caregiving just want to get back to their old friends.

I get some help from one daughter who lives locally and daily encouragement from a son who lives 745 miles away. I see a counselor twice a month. Theses three qare my new BFFs.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

How do you keep in touch with friends?

Message 2 of 2

Life gets hectic and it can be difficult to stay in touch.  How do you keep in touch with your friends?  What advice can you share that works?

AARPTeri
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies