Are you a caregiver? Tell us how you plan your getaway with loved ones for a chance to enter a weekly prize drawing.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How I remember Dad

Message 1 of 5

How I remember Dad he wake up earlier bird and pebbles my dog which he will tell me each morning , earlier bird catch the worm that was one of sayings, he will call me hey little girl my nickname even when I was married , even when his grandkids come over they laugh grandpa too I was always his little girl, his voice was high base tone long drag that is something my last daughter remembers about grandpa Enjoy Father’s Day Weekend!!!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5
@Joyce........not only do we both have Dad stories, I am the adoptive Mom to a son. We got him when he was eight weeks old. This was the most wonderful thing in my life. He is a grown man now. We have some wonderful memories together. He always knew he was adopted and went through one period where he said it bothered him. I tried to put his concern in prospective. I told him at one time I didn't like my red hair and freckles, but grew to love them.

I am so glad you had a wonderful father. It is so important for us to grow up with a good male influence. I experienced this, but my brother only stayed under Mom's wing and I have always felt he missed out on some of the life lessons he needed.

I hope you will write more here. You already seem like a friend. I loved your post.

Fathers' Day can be our day of good memories.

Soosie
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

How Do I Remember Dad: My parents adopted me just prior to my turning 7 years old.  I was so afraid the first day in my new home, but hopeful as well.  My father was a labor mediator and purple heart recipient in WWII as a flame thrower.  I was afraid he would reject me as my biological father did, when he sold my siblings and I for 50.00 each.

However, a new life was in store for 3 sisters adopted together from the same biological family.  My father arrived home the day after our adoption from working out of town.  We hid behind a bush to see if he looked mean, which turned out to be the farthest thing from the truth.  We were welcomed with the most beautiful smile, kind face, and those bright blue "Irish Eyes".  I soon became "daddy's girl" down to having to have a chair made to match his "football watching chair", and having to puff on one of his unusued corn cob pipes along with him.  My father was always there for us on the weekends when he was home.  Every year, he took us for a week to Canada on our fishing excursion.  How I loved that time with the cabins, big lodge, hot chocolate, and writing letters to mom each day on white birch paper.  A wonderful father indeed, whom I cannot give justice in the space I am alloted.  He and my mother were in their fifties when they adopted my two sisters and myself; an undertaking most would find daunting at a much earlier age.  We learned to run the store, keep things clean, and groom our horses.  We learned so much from our ever patient father.  He died way too young in his mid sixties, but thank God for my father Jeremiah, Charles, Jerry Ford from Pittsburgh Pennsilvania.  Thank you dad for moving to Michigan and adopting 3 girls from the South.  We miss you so much and will always love you.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

I lost my Dad when I was a little girl in a very tragic way. Like you have suggested to your children, I focus on the good memories. I remember that he was tall, handsome, had dark black hair and blue eyes, but fair skin. He loved to dance and that is where I get my love for dance. He owned a Beauty and Barber Shop and worked some long hours. I wish I could have had him in my life much longer, but cherish the few memories I have. I have a great photo of him when he was in the Navy. It sits on my desk at work and I can look at the photo often.

I will add that I was lucky and worked for the Head Coach of a University.  The coach seemed to realize that I needed a father figure and he took me under his wing.  He was not only a great football coach, but a great live skills coach as well.  Sometimes God just puts the right people in our life to plug up a hole.

Soosie

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

How I remember Dad

Message 5 of 5

This Father's Day will be a harder one and I am sure many of you have experienced this as well.  My children lost their father unexpectedly in April, so my advice to them is to think of how they remember their Dad.  

I additionally lost my father 14 years ago but have such great memories of his contagious smile.

How do you remember your father?

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies