Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Have you received a random act of kindness?

Social Butterfly

Have you received a random act of kindness?

Two years ago I broke up with my boyfriend of three years.  On the way home from the breakup, I stopped at a bakery, minutes before it closed and ordered a cookie.  If my red swollen eyes were not a dead giveaway of my frame of mine, I left no mystery when I told the two bakers I just ended a relationship.  As I was driving the final few miles home, I couldn't help myself and opened the box to dig in, and was so touched when I found two glorious cookies! 

My story has a happy ending ( yes, even better than a huge sugar buzz) my boyfriend and I got back together a few weeks later and are very happily married today!

Super Contributor

Reply in receiving one today for my Birthday: a female stranger calling me ma'am asked if I wanted some apples & some other fruit & vegetables. She stated she already made enough apple pie & baked enough apples for her son-sure why not since you already have enough. Shortly after the Feb. 2021 winter Artic blast I was able to give some of the same to another neighbor who also has a son-better than borrowing a cup of sugar....warmer weather & Birthday Blessings from Above....

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wanted to share an opposite anecdote - being the giver of a random act of kindness. I've been volunteering with a mutual aid group in DC, and we help neighbors in need get groceries and navigate support systems that the government provides. I began organizing with the group to help neighbors get their COVID-19 vaccines, as DC is experiencing a lot of inequity with their rollout. Today, I successfully scheduled a neighbor for their vaccine appointment, and now we are working together to get him a ride to his appointment. My cup feels full today 💜

Random acts of kindness don't just make the recipient feel good. Research has linked giving of yourself to numerous health benefits. Paying it forward is beneficial for everyone involved!

Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA , You are awesome! Christine

Honored Social Butterfly

I was walking through the parking lot at the grocery store when someone called my name.  I turned and there stood a man I did not know with a bouquet of flowers.  I'm not sure how he knew my name.  He said, "I bought these flowers and they were three bouquets for $10. They were on sale.  He said he only needed two and wanted me to have the third.  I was so touched that he did this.  I kept that bouquet as long as I could keep the flowers from dying.

Social Butterfly

Soosie, Love that story! Thank you for sharing it, I'm sure it put a smile on many faces.  Speaking of flowers . . .  I remember turning 30 while living in Budapest, Hungary, and received 30 long stem roses from my husband at the time.  Beautiful, but we were flying back to California to visit family in a few days.  So my daughter and I drove around the neighborhood handing out roses to bewildered Hungarians.  So much fun.  Christine

Honored Social Butterfly

@Soosie 

I needed to hear that one - Thank You

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP