Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Have you ever "Paid It Forward?"

Social Butterfly

Have you ever "Paid It Forward?"

A few days before Thanksgiving 2019, I was at the Dollar Store getting a  sudoku book for my flight out to my brother's. Thanksgiving had become a bittersweet time of year for me.  My Thanksgiving of 2012 was the last time I saw one of my daughters, and she hadn't spoken to me since.  As I looked around the store, and saw all the pre-holiday frenzy, I noticed some looked down on their luck. That's when I started handing out $10 dollar bills and wishing everyone a happy Thanksgiving.  Picked up my holiday spirits right away!

Have you ever spontaneously paid it forward?

Social Butterfly

@DeahWA , We can keep the "good vibes" going with little acts of kindness. Though, a warm brownie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream could do the same thing! Except for . . .  the calories . . . fat . . . sugar.  I didn't say it's a perfect idea.   Christine

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Long long ago when I waitressed as a summer job in a resort town, i would occasionally get tips that were more than the cost of the meal. I never forgot how that lifted my mood. So now, when I can, I intentionally go out to eat just so I can pay that forward. I like the anonymity of leaving cash in an envelope addressed to the wait person and another to the table busser if it's a nicer restaurant, and not even hanging around to see their surprise. 

Social Butterfly

@DeahWA , You really are "paying it forward" awesome!  My latest one was on Friday.  I was at the grocery store and saw this very frail and elderly woman walk slowly into the store.  After I was done shopping, I bought a small bouquet of flowers in a vase and gave it to the woman as she reached her car.  The smile on her face was priceless.   Always feels good when we can send a little kindness out into the world.  It takes so little to make someone's day a little brighter.  Thank you Deah for all you do!  Christine

Bronze Conversationalist

@Rhymesometimes  Flowers are so expensive now, that was a really nice thing to do.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@DeahWA , These were at Sprouts, a local grocery store, so not expensive.  The funny thing is I often will get an allergic reaction to flowers if I'm close to them for a period of time.  Christine

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

We are taking our elderly neighbor for his Covid vaccinations. He's lost a lot of family and friends in the past year and is struggling with memory issues. He's been a great friend and neighbor for over 30 years now and we know that being alone has been tough on him. We also know that he appreciates our help- and it makes us feel good too!

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly

TYSVM for caring! Your neighbor does indeed appreciate your care!

This is a "pay-it-forward" act; it will return to you, maybe not in a decade, maybe not in this century, but sometime; because your act is returning his act of kindness sometime in the past, whether during war or emergency or life in general...

Thank you, from a senior citizen who recognizes your humanity and just plain goodness!

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Social Butterfly

@WebWiseWoman , Very well stated! I figure every time you pay it forward, it  blesses so many.  As cheesy as it sounds, if you smile at someone, it gives them a temporary lift, and I really do believe they pass those "good vibes" on somewhere in the day.  Christine

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@postman29 , I'm sure he  appreciates you making arrangements for his shot and providing him transportation..  Would be good to find out where his family members live, and if they are aware of his cognitive decline.  Christine

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Thanks for the suggestion Christine. Unfortunately, he has only one sister who is living in a nursing home and his only nephew who was helping him recently passed away. He lost his 3 closest friends who were family to him in the last 2 years.  We will make sure that he is not going to be alone. My dad had alzheimer's for the last 14 years of his life so we know what to watch for. 

Social Butterfly

@postman29,  Your response made me a bit teary. What unbelievable kindness you are showing your friend and neighbor, and in a sense, a lovely  tribute to your father.  I am so sorry for your loss.  My mom passed away two years ago this coming Monday from Alzheimer's.  With extraordinary support of my aunt and uncle, who lived nearby, my mom was able to live with dignity and respect at the end of her life.  Christine

Trusted Contributor

Paying forward has been a part of my life that I add the title philanthropy to what I do. I'm a member of The Friends of the Library and The Rotary Club among others.

I'm passionate about education because I know it changes people's lives - it changed mine. So most of my paying forward revolve around education e.g helping students with school expenses and such.

In 2014, I adopted an elementary school and high school in rural Kenya when visited and learned the school-owned 3 donkeys that drew the water the schools needed from the river. Before I left the country I bought them water tanks. 

In 2019 I organized some computers for them. 

If my books do well, I plan to build a small library for two schools (although I haven't told me this but I've talked about it to my friends for years). I could do this by raising money through my Rotary Club but the project would require too much time at the moment

But from the above posts, I realize I need to make some small or anonymous favors when I look back at what people have done for me.

I dropped out of college for months because of a lack of fees. Someone anonymous cleared my bill and paid two-thirds of the remaining year's fees. Another incident was in high school when I walked along stores looking at what was displayed inside. I reached a restaurant. When I looked inside, a man in the company of two others beckoned. I looked behind me and realized he meant me.

When I entered, he said, "have a sit there and they'll give you something to eat." he called a waitress (that's what we called them then) and told her to give me some lunch. I sat at the next table and ate a hearty chicken meal. I've never forgotten that kind gesture.

This post brought so many memories to me.    

Wanjiru Warama
Social Butterfly

@WanjirusBits ,  You have such a big heart!  What amazing things you have done to help others.  Christine

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@WanjirusBits , what fantastic projects to be working on, and such wonderful gifts of practical use for the schools that have benefited so much from your visit. A heart warming personal story too. 

All these posts show us that generosity of spirit still exists in this all too often cruel world. I wonder what could happen if more of us would practice paying it forward more often?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP