Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Have you adopted a pet?

Riley girl.jpg

I think it's so wonderful that a lot of people are adopting pets during the coronavirus pandemic. A pet can really help with isolation and anxiety. Have you considered adopting a pet, or have you already adopted a pet?

We adopted our Riley (pictured above) in 2016, and I'm thankful for her every day, but especially during these trying times!

Super Contributor

I would love a new puppy right now. But I'm afraid to get a dog who will need shots and other vet visits right now while it is unsafe to be inside. Here in LA our number of new daily Covid cases is very high. Someday...

Honored Social Butterfly

@UpperHandsPiano wrote:

I would love a new puppy right now. But I'm afraid to get a dog who will need shots and other vet visits right now while it is unsafe to be inside. Here in LA our number of new daily Covid cases is very high. Someday...

I just got a puppy.  Our vet doesn't allow us inside.  We get curbside service in that a vet tech comes out to meet us and take the dog in.  It's not ideal, but it's been working OK.  

However, I hear a lot of vet clinics are booked solid with appointments right now because everyone in the world apparently adopted puppies over the COVID summer.   

Honored Social Butterfly

Over the many years of my life, I've had all of three dogs. My first was Scotty a small, shaggy haired, black colored mutt who had been abandoned by his previous owners when they moved out of the house my family purchased. I was seven years old and it was on our move-in day that Scotty was discovered lolling around the backyard .  My mother's call to Mr. Carson (the man who sold the house) resulted in an unexpected response, "Keep 'im!" he said.  And after much begging and pleading from little me, my mother gave in and said "okay" with the stipulation that Scotty, as I named him, would be my responsibility.  And I took that responsibility to heart--walking him, playing with him, making sure he was fed and watered every day.  But I knew my momma and my grandmother both loved him just as much as me, 'cause on the days I had to rush off to school or was just too busy, they made sure Scotty was never forgotten, never hungry, always loved on, and never left to feel alone or abandoned.  He was adopted by me and by us all and remained a member of our family until he closed his eyes for good.

Honored Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309 wrote:

Over the many years of my life, I've had all of three dogs. My first was Scotty a small, shaggy haired, black colored mutt who had been abandoned by his previous owners when they moved out of the house my family purchased. I was seven years old and it was on our move-in day that Scotty was discovered lolling around the backyard .  My mother's call to Mr. Carson (the man who sold the house) resulted in an unexpected response, "Keep 'im!" he said.  And after much begging and pleading from little me, my mother gave in and said "okay" with the stipulation that Scotty, as I named him, would be my responsibility.  And I took that responsibility to heart--walking him, playing with him, making sure he was fed and watered every day.  But I knew my momma and my grandmother both loved him just as much as me, 'cause on the days I had to rush off to school or was just too busy, they made sure Scotty was never forgotten, never hungry, always loved on, and never left to feel alone or abandoned.  He was adopted by me and by us all and remained a member of our family until he closed his eyes for good.

That is so sweet.  🙂 

Honored Social Butterfly

Just got a puppy and was wondering if there was a pet forum on here!   🙂 

He's lab and something else.  

Reef.jpg

Bronze Conversationalist

Oh my goodness!  Is he ever cute!!!

Community Manager
Community Manager

Oh my goodness @ManicProgressive! What a cutie wow!! What's his name? 😍😍😍

Honored Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA wrote:

Oh my goodness @ManicProgressive! What a cutie wow!! What's his name? 😍😍😍

Thanks.  He's a good little guy.   🙂   He's River.  

Reef 11 weeks.jpg

Kudos
Views

I lost my beautiful cat companion, Dory, on April 15, 2020, after 15-plus years together.  I was just beyond devastated!  My life and my home suddenly had an enormous gaping hole that needed to be filled with life and love.

Enter Grace and Mabel.  I adopted these two beauties from Our Companions Animal Sanctuary in Manchester, CT.  I brought them home on May 27th, and I am so grateful for their sweet and loving souls!  I am blessed.

Grace and Mabel.jpg

Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry for your loss @md9965 😔 It's always hard having to let go of a pet. They are family!

Grace and Mabel are so beautiful! I love their little faces 😻 So glad you were able to find them and give them a good home 🤗

Community Manager
Community Manager

Seeing all of these sweet doggos and kitties feels like a big hug right now 🤗

Contributor

This is Sammie.  She is quite entertaining and great company.  She has a mouse toy that she loves.  I will hear her howling, growling, or meowing at it.  Next thing you know, she is carrying it around in her mouth.  Sometimes she leaves it in my bed for me.  She loves doing tricks for treats.  Actually, she loves treats and is willing to do tricks for them.  She does high fives and low fives.  She circles and sits on command as well as picking which hand the treat is in.  She is also very loving and follows me around the house.227E29E5-6ED5-4278-8AD6-73837242E998.jpeg

Bronze Conversationalist

I've heard that you can teach a cat commands, and I've had many cats during my lifetime, but I've never tried it.  I always thought that playing "catch" with a cat would be pretty cool.  Is it hard to train them?  Just curious.   Thanks!

0 Kudos
Contributor

0A7DF897-3A38-4458-8286-F360DD7C0702.jpeg

This is Tatonka, a two year old Chiweenie that was rescued from a hoarding situation. He was feral when we got him but in 6 months he’s become a love! His favorite place is on my lap!

Contributor

8FD13B7E-3D7D-4DC8-A7D5-2A7C088CC255.jpeg

I adopted this 3 lb 2.5 years old. Love him. 

Contributor

We adopted Milo, a 1 y.o. German shorthair pointer mix first and then followed up with Kona, an 8 week old Australian cattle dog, a month later.  Milo looks a lot like Riley!

Milo Birthday Portrait 1 2020_04_23 (2).jpgKona Cutie 2020_04.jpg

They are best buddies and an absolute joy though, as I expected, Kona is a lot of work!  Fortunately, both are quick learners.  Their joy in the world and unconditional love has been a relief during the pandemic.  Going for frequent walks (AKA squirrel surveillance missions) has gotten us out of the house regularly, which has been good for both mind and body.

Contributor

The one positive side of working from home during quarantine was being able to spend quality time with my beloved senior German Shepherd Duke. Duke had gotten old so walks were short and less frequent. His favorite past time was simply sitting near me and looking at me with such love and devotion. He soothed my worries and gave me strength and peace. Sadly, our time together came to an end last week because of cancer. I am sure he kept fighting so that I would not be alone.

I grieved for two days and then started looking for another senior who needed a home.

Baby Bear jumped out from all the pictures I looked at. She finally has a forever home and is adjusting to her new life as we both are. Senior dogs have always been close to my heart and it brings me joy that Baby Bear can have love and happiness in her senior years.Baby Bear has a homeBaby Bear has a homeLoyal DukeLoyal Duke

Retired Community Manager

Yes! We've had Teddy since 2011 and found Huey in 2016. And there are many others who came before them 😍

TeddyTeddyHueyHuey

I've been adopting pets for the last 26 year.  Always have at least 2 dogs.  Have two standard poodles right now and a cat that we saved.  You are so right.  So important right now to adopt an animal.  I was reading that some people were actually giving up there pets because they were afraid of the animal getting Covid and passing it on to them.  So sad.   Thank goodness you would never know that in my community.  I believe just about every house in this community owns a dog or two!  Now that we're so restricted in what we do, people are out more than ever walking dogs numerous times a day.  

Honored Social Butterfly

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP