Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

For Genealogy Buffs -- what has surprised you the most?

Bronze Conversationalist

For Genealogy Buffs -- what has surprised you the most?

A few of us seem to be into researching family history. What has surprised you the most in what you have found so far?

How far back have you been able to get?

What has surprised me is finding names in my tree that I studied in school, never knowing there was a connection. 

I've gone back well beyond the middle ages on one branch and others  to a couple generations before immigration to the colonies.

How about you? Any tips to share?

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I stumbled on this YouTube video talking about free websites genealogists use for searching historical records. If you are hitting brick walls with you efforts, try some of these:

https://youtu.be/9ziAj8aD7XA

Regular Contributor

I've been working on a family tree since 2007 on Ancestry.com.  I've been able to establish ancestry back to the 1700's.  The women in my family are eligible for DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) membership since we are able to prove one of our ancestors fought in the American Revolution.  We are also eligible for the Daughters of the War of 1812 membership.  Myself and another cousin are currently researching for a possible Mayflower connection.  

What surprised me the most was finding a scandal that was written up in the newspapers for a distant ancestor on my father's side.    

Ancestry.com has been an amazing tool in researching my family tree.  They have an impressive amount of documents.  

Completing a DNA test on both Ancestry and 23andme has opened up even more connections.  It's amazing to see just how far the branches of your tree spread.   

Super Contributor

DeahC:

I haven't been able to do much with my Family & for some I may never be able to go back far due to "they never kept such records" & with the other one: well for me to ever find someone to read to me in that language has been difficult. (they do not speak the language either) & that type of immigration is something not revealed. With the other one that immigration after 1492 I may never find much there either English is not Native language.

Plus the record keeper &/or taker had no pronounciation for those types of words/Names & the cursive or letters back then in English are very hard to read.

I will eventually get back to searching yet for me I've been told to never give up.

A Family Affair for me.

Thank you

Stay Healthy!!!

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Hi @LaurajW510385 

I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you've had with your genealogical search. It's maddening to have those kind of obstacles. I was blocked for a long time too until finally uncovering my biological mom, and then things started falling into place.

Definitely go back to it ever now and again. I've seen in my own pursuits that records get discovered and handwriting gets deciphered all the time, and entered in readable forms in the newest technologies.  Hope some of these doors open up for you soon.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Thanks DeahC for your update with this..I will eventually get back to my Family to see what is there in my "internet illiteracy" & do what I might be able to do with some possible records in another country should the ever be anything there in English.

Thank you for your support!!!

Stay Healthy!!!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP