Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Experiences with Covid vaccine?

Social Butterfly

Experiences with Covid vaccine?

My husband is a bit older than me and just got his second dose.  He is doing great!  My first dose will be this Friday.  Has anyone received both doses?  What has been your experience?

Bronze Conversationalist

@Rhymesometimes   You're quite welcome, Christine!  😀

Conversationalist

I have had both doses, and I am 65 yrs. old. With the first dose, all I wanted to do was sleep and had a headache. The second dose was two weeks ago, all I wanted to do again was sleep, again much to my young playful cat's dismay. Everyone's reaction is different, oh and my arm was really killing me at the injection site for several days, just keep moving it so it doesn't get stiff.

Shari
Social Butterfly

Shari,  Thx for sharing your experience, and for the tip!  Christine

Honored Social Butterfly

First dose, no effects whatsoever.

Second dose, pain in arm, red area around injection site, and arm near injection site was rock hard for several days. Nothing more concerning than that.

Super Contributor

That sounds like what happened to my arm when I got a tetanus shot many years ago. I just can't take the chance with that vaccine. I'll still wait for the pill.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@r447879w my adult daughter refuses any vaccines after getting the flu after getting a flu vaccine several years ago.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@Anonymous  Please tell her it is IMPOSSIBLE to get the flu from getting the flu vaccine.  What is included in the vaccine is not "live," therefore she could not have gotten it that way.  She more than likely was exposed to the flu before getting the vaccine, although she might not have have any symptoms from it yet.

Honored Social Butterfly

@RosemaryF433825 wrote:

@Anonymous  Please tell her it is IMPOSSIBLE to get the flu from getting the flu vaccine.  What is included in the vaccine is not "live," therefore she could not have gotten it that way.  She more than likely was exposed to the flu before getting the vaccine, although she might not have have any symptoms from it yet.

And few vaccines give 100% protection - not the flu, not the shingles, not any of the covid-19 - but they sure cut way down on your chances of have a very bad case of the (whatever)

Did you hear that by just by the many wearing mask this year, we have cut way back on the cases of airborne infections - the regular flu and even the common cold.  That's a real plus especially for the most vulnerable.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Bronze Conversationalist

@GailL1   Vaccines were never meant to completely irradiate a person from getting sick.  They are meant to help the body establish antibodies so when a person gets sick it will be with lesser side effects and a shorter duration.

Since I've been reading on this site, it got me thinking to the many things we hear or read that we believe when in reality they may not be true.  I think most all of us grew up in a time where we trusted each other because we could.  Seldom did we experience things like phone scams or fictitious offers in the mail.  But unfortunately, we don't live in that world anymore, and it's important to be very careful about what someone is trying to lead us to believe, as well as try to protect each other.   Be well!

Anonymous
Not applicable

No I did not hear about the masks @GailL1 . Wish more folks would wear them in my area of Virginia. Every day they are posting a surge. I am sure the easter activities will not help this weekend. This St. Patrick's Day had people downtown acting like business as usual. Hmmm, I know where I will be this weekend, INSIDE 🙂

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous 

Just keep wearing your mask and when this whole thing is over, keep wearing it when in crowds.  By that time, they (the non-mask wearers) will see someone in a mask and will interpret it as someone not wanting to spread what they may have and then they will continue to stay away from us - thinking that it is for their own good when in fact, it is for our own good - if I never get the flu or the common cold again, I will think that life is great.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GailL1 good advice. Even though I had BOTH of my Moderna vaccines (2/10 and 3/10 2021), I was told to keep wearing my mask and social distancing. Lol, my next visit to Walmart, I will be using my EMPTY shopping cart to social distance the jerks that luv to be all up in my back. Even without the PANDEMIC, I have always GUARDED my pin numbers, etc. So RUDE someone reading what you are entering and a chance to STEAL your sensitive data. I only go grocery shopping once a week. Wish I was already moved into a rental tiny cottage for more SPACE = BIGGER refrigerator = less grocery trips 🙂 My cute studio apartment = tiny house has a medium refrigerator and of course tiny storage/lol.

Bronze Conversationalist

@Anonymous   If someone tries to read my PIN number while checking out at the register, I either step in front of their vision and enter my PIN number sideways, or even use my hand as a barrier to coverup my other hand entering my PIN number.  If neither works, you have a right to smile and tell the person you appreciate your privacy  THAT should embarrass them enough to stop. looking.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol, yes I already am doing what you mentioned @RosemaryF433825  But some folks REFUSE to RESPECT you, over the DREAD of Walmart Shopping. I use to be a cashier at Kroger in between my real job and saw people empty their shopping carts, and leave BETWEEN themselves and NEXT customer. Now I get it and will be doing the same. Once I have PAID, then shopping card gets MOVED to load up my groceries. And YES, we had our MAJOR agruments from the BULLIES. I would have to PAGE for Store Manager to come break up the drama or call cops or put bully out. Over it!

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@GailL1   I really hate to sound pessimistic, Gail, but people who have refused to wear a mask up to this point? I honestly don't think they will see someone wearing a mask and decide to stay away from them.  I mean...they haven't stayed away up to this point.  

The people who are non-mask wearers don't believe Covid is any big deal...if existing at all.  They are too afraid of "having their rights being violated" to even consider wearing one.  Sorry....

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good point @RosemaryF433825 but she is not going to listen to me. Reminds me of myself at age 34, thought I KNEW everything/lol.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Where did you hear there was a pill. There will be no pill. The vaccine prevents severe illness and DEATH from COVID so I don't understand why you are tempting fate by NOT taking the vaccine just because it made my arm and other people's arms hurt for a few days.

Better than being hospitalized or dying.

Bronze Conversationalist

@nctarheel    In checking up on the story about the possibility of a pill rather than an injection for Covid...... there MIGHT be a pill, but far into the future.  Test trials would have to be done first, which won't be done as quickly as for the injectable vaccine.  So a person could be waiting a very, very long time for this to come about.  But as for now or even soon?  No, there is no pill.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP