Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you think it is healthy to sleep separately when married?

Message 1 of 15
I hear you . We slept together for almost 40 yrs until I had my two knees replaced and had to sleep in another room during recovery. He got use to sleeping alone and has never invited me back. I hate it and I feel lonely all the time.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 15

Absolutely not!!  Right now my husband and I sleep in separate rooms and I hate it.  I feel lonely and lacking intimacy and the closeness we use to enjoy when we slept together. 

I don’t recommend this to anyone!!

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 15

We slept separately for several months when he was snoring so badly that I couldn't sleep.  Then he was diagnosed with sleep apnea and got a CPAP and that was supposed to keep him quiet, so at  his request I moved back into our queen-sized bed.  Now when his CPAP "squeaks or growls" I gently nudge him and he rolls over on to his side so I can fall asleep.  It seems to work - usually!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 15

I only sleep separately when he’s sick, snoring, or very restless.  I’ve been told it’s best to take care of yourself first.  Otherwise we sleep together 🙂

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 15

My husband and I have slept together for 55 yrs. We lived a yr Military life and slept in a twin bed  for those 4 yrs and our son was in a crib.  We actually only saw each other abt mos out of those 4 yrs, but a twin bed did not bother us. 

He got out of the USMC  and we finally got a double bed. We slept in it for many yrs then I had major surgery on my back. I had to sleep in a separate bed for abt 7 mos total and he was quite upset. He kept asking if my back was getting better enough to move back to our bed.  

After my back surgery we got a Queen size bed, then our daughter got a new  bed and gave us her King size frame. We got mattresses with each having our own sides on the top, mine soft , his  firm. We hate it. 

I guess it's all about what ever works in your marriage, then you both get along. 

BUT, we are still sleeping together, maybe those 4 yrs apart had an effect on us who knows, but we always like to sleep together. 

Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 15

My husband and I have been sleeping separately for about 15 of our 20 years. He is not the father of my now grown children. Once they moved out he moved into an empty bedroom. We are in our mid 60's. We have different sleep patterns so this arrangement is good for us. I have to admit that I sometimes miss the physical closeness sleeping together affords. Sometimes I have to go to him and snuggle awhile. He never comes to me like that and it makes me feel like he's no longer attracted to me. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 15

My husband and I have been sleeping  in different beds for several years now. We've been married for 28 years and shortly after our son was born it made since for us to sleep alone so one of us could take over the midnite feedings. After a while we both decided that having separate beds was the right thing for us and our marriage.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 15

I agree that the question could have two answers. If both partners are in agreement to sleeping separately, it may be a solution . 

However , if both are not in agreement, it might be healthy for one while the other suffers separation anxiety and rejection.

All couples are different.

Norma Ray
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 15
Yes
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 15
For reasons that help each couple. Working hours, sleep apena, snoring, and illness. Just make sure that you communicate, love and share with each other!
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors