Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you know someone who is isolated?

Message 11 of 30
Ask your boss about stabilizing your schedule.
The churches, libraries, the phone book are bound to have groups that meet that can be squeezed in.
Ask if your hospital has a walking club. The people that have children and elderly care responsibilities might welcome your companionship and emotional support. Offer to take the kids out. Get to know their schedules and see if you can help. Do you get enough vacation and sick days? If you want to just hang out, the park could be a start.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Alone : Do you know someone who is isolated?

Message 12 of 30
Check to see what your siblings need and if they could use your help with child care or shopping. If push comes to shove drop in announced so they cannot hide. My family and friends do not call so I have learned to be proactive in connecting. You might want to see if the doctor can help with depression and energy issues. Maybe see what the local churches and charities have stuff going.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 30
Use the library, phone book, Bible, or try being writer.
Work on getting your pain healed. Self help books and maybe read the funnies more. There are support groups like emotions anonymous. See what you can do to improve how your relationships. Consider that people do not always know how to show their love in a way that fills your need.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 30
I know the feeling. My single friends have other obligations too. We don't go to lunch or dinner anymore. Most of the time I don't hear from them in weeks. Some of them are raising children and grandchildren. I hate when the weekend comes now. It is very lonely. I try to read books, play games on the computer. It is just not the same. I pray and try to keep my head up. However, it is hard.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 30

I am isolated.  I live in a area where I have no friends or family.  It is a racist area.  If that wasn't bad enough; I fail last year and couldn't walk for a month and a half.  Which isolated me more because, I couldn't drive and was off work for over a year.  I cry so much; I ask myself where all the tears come from.  I can walk now without a cane.  However, I walk funny.  My legs get tired.  It is hard living like this.  I only work part-time now.  I spend a lot of time alone.  I keep trying to figure out things to do.  However, that's hard too.  I feel like I am falling deeper and deeper into insolation.  Don't know what to do!

Yolanda (Sad)

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 30

I am lonely because I don't have much in common with my peers. Most of my freinds are still raising children and or caring for elderly parents.  Trying to coordinate schedules with others to go to activities is difficult because my schedule is rarely the same week to week.  I usually end up going places by myself because I don't have the patience to wait for people who may or may not show up...on time if at all.  I know that my friends who are parents want to spend time with other adults, but usually don't have the time or energy.  And my single friends are usually the ones who are taking care of elderly family members.  I am at my wits end on how to get over  being so lonely.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 30

I am lonely because I really don't have much in common with my peers. I am not married nor do I have a significant other, or children.  Most people my age (50) are still raising children or taking care of elderly parents.  I like to get out and go to outdoor activitives in the summer, however trying to get other people who have the time to hang out can at times be a challenge. I also work every other weekend-a 12 hour shift- leaves me with little time to hang out with friends.  With my schedule changing every week, trying to do weekly activities is also a challenge.  I am at my wits end on how to change my situation.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Alone : Do you know someone who is isolated?

Message 18 of 30

I feel like I am. I have a husband who tries to encourage me to get out but it's just shopping or eating out. Once I retired all my friends just seem to have disappeared. I have 4 siblings but they all have full lives with their family and friends. I have depression and have had episodes where I couldn't even get out of bed. I'm finally in a good place but I have no friends, no hobbies, nothing to do. I am on the shy side so making friends seems impossible. I feel isolated even though I have a husband.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Alone : Do you know someone who is isolated?

Message 19 of 30

Would like to network with those who are alone.  Together we can create a virtual sense of community and hopefully provide each other with companionship.

3356605ol4i3id2l2.gif

@AARPTeri wrote:

Do you know what social isolation is?  Know someone who is isolated

Let us know!  We are wondering how many of you are aware of this issue.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 30

myself.  having been an identical twin we had all the company we needed throughout our lives.  later we followed different paths and had different schematics of the roadways.  we were still friends, but it was not kindled as in our beginnings, through our teens.

I am not your usual style, as I am a character.  on eclipse day, last August, I made my 90th B.Dy. - hard to figure, since I was never an octogenerian; the decade into my 80's seemed never to have happened.  you can tell I'm not your usual personality giving credence to foolish. 

my twin took her home run in late April, and though we lost our closer affiliation I do miss her no longer out there.  Therefore, and for waht it's worth I am reaching out to talk to someone, who can hear me and who I might be able

to hear also.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.

Top Authors