Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you know someone who is isolated?

Message 21 of 30
If you can, I hope you will consider counseling for your anxiety. If you don't have health insurance, your local mental health center will have a sliding scale payment system. It's fine to like being alone, but severe anxiety is an illness that can be treated. The outcome would be a happier life.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 30

Same here. Though I have neighbors, few share my interests and political viewpoint.  My siblings live 12 miles away but I seldom hear from them. I worry that a fall will kill me and no one will know.  

I get out to volunteer as my health permits.  Though I've made some friendly acquaintances, I really have not made any close friends yet.  Without the internet, I guess I'd be reading all day as it is too hot to walk here right now during the day.  

Sometimes we have to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps and consider what we can do for ourselves to better our situations.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 30

Myself. I live lone out in the country, no near neighbors, and can't really aford to go anywhere much, and no one I know wants to drive out here to visit, including my family. Internet is just about my only human interaction point.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 30

Yesyself and family, who live with me.  We have no extras, including money, and depend on public transportation when available for where we need to go, and when there is enough change left in the couch!  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 30

Yes, my husband and myself. I am 69 young, and my husband is 71. Physically we are a couple of "train wrecks". I have severe Rheumatoid arthritis and a below knee amputation on my driving side. I also need a hip replacement on the right.

My husband has arthritis of the spine, two spinal surgeries, he needs a new knee and a fused ankle. Plus, we both have Fibromyalgia. We're a barrel of laughs!

We have a daughter who has two kids, 5 and 3 mo. She lives with her fiancé who has a 7 yr old daughter half the time. He doesn't like me because I question their actions, so he stopped coming to see us and our daughter keeps the visits to a minimum. However, we babysit our grandson two days a week and his daughter everyother Friday. 

My husbands close friend all died over a time span of two years. He is still trying to get over that. My girlfriend's husbands either died or left for Hawaii. So when we do go out, it is Harry and the girls! Harry also has a hearing problem that makes it hard for him to enjoy a conversation at dinner with the girls. 

We need to make friends with a couple in our area. All our friends and my sister, live 45 min. to an hour away, and no one wants to drive in the dark.

We live in Audubon, NJ.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 30

I am very isolated. After my best friend died when I was 39 my life was turned upside down. I also had several bad relationships that started with my dad and just continued on to other relationships. I think I feel safe when it’s just me because there isn’t as much hurt. And I actually like being alone. If I could, I wouldn’t even work but I guess it makes me leave my house which I should consider a good thing. I do wish I was more social but my anxiety gets the best of me so I just stay home. 

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 30
Dear Jean in Santa Barbara,
I would love to correspond with you.
Please click on my profile name "Simplegal" and it will allow you to send me a message thru this site.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Simplegal
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 30

I would like more info on whom to contact about isolation—perhaps someone to email to.

Jean in Santa Barbara

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Yes : Do you know someone who is isolated?

Message 29 of 30

My goodness yes!  I am an elder orphan living in a lonely world where I never imagined I would be.  It is my hope to find others who want to connect and become a virtual community.

1372462t2uoblxvdg.gif

@AARPTeri wrote:

Do you know what social isolation is?  Know someone who is isolated

Let us know!  We are wondering how many of you are aware of this issue.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Do you know someone who is isolated?

Message 30 of 30

Do you know what social isolation is?  Know someone who is isolated

Let us know!  We are wondering how many of you are aware of this issue.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season