Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Do you agree that choice of car changes as you age?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you agree that choice of car changes as you age?

There are cars now marketing to older drivers with features making it easier to get in and out of a car, blind spot warnings and more.  What do you think have you changed cars for some of these features?

AARPTeri
Recognized Social Butterfly

1 comment (8/20/23) Great post @AARPTeri !!! Oh YES - always drove "stick shifts" but had to trade the last one in for my OLD lady (2006 Hyundai Elantra) in 2018. My knees.... 😥 SO BORING driving an automatic. Oh well, soon they will be wanting to take my KEYS away = Golf Cart Time 😎 Nicole 🙃

@AARPTeri wrote:

There are cars now marketing to older drivers with features making it easier to get in and out of a car, blind spot warnings and more.  What do you think have you changed cars for some of these features?✏

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Sorry to hear about your knees @SpringIsHereSoHappy ...personally I still insist on a manual transmission.  Studies have shown that drivers of manual transmission vehicles are less likely to be involved in mishaps.  One theory is that they are more engaged in the act of operating the vehicle because they must be mindful of the transmission.  I'm gonna miss it when I go electric...might have already gone electric if I could get a reasonably priced, reliable one with a manual transmission.

reat

Off cause yes.

Periodic Contributor

It has changed over the years, but has nothing to do with my age, but rather with the number of pets I would need to evacuate in case of forest fire.  Live in the forested mtns of Northern NM where a fire is a matter of when, not if.  Also, need 4x4 for winter driving.  Had a 2004 And 2010 Ford Escapes, but when It came time to replace the 2010, i Found the new Escapes too small For my 2 dogs,2cats,2 parrots and a tub of "irreplaceables." Bought a 2016 Ford Edge and find it theperfect size And very comfortable and fun to drive.  By the time it needs To be replaced, i am Hoping to be able to downsize

Trusted Contributor

I changed from fast, monster gas-guzzlers to small, fast hatchbacks. I still have the need for speed.

Honored Social Butterfly

Sure.  I love Uber!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Conversationalist

It did change for me. Like others here I'm an SUV fan. Our two cars were running fine but the Hyundai SUV was ready for a replacement. I decided to get a more luxury model and did a lot of research and test-driving. I do almost all the driving in our household.

I finally chose the 2017 Ford Edge Sport. Wider than I wanted, but I needed the extra length as the Hyundai was just a little too short when traveling with our friends. Not perfect but only a couple of minor annoyances. I prioritized what was important to me and it had everything on the "A-level" list.

I like the new safety features and we ordered the car from the factory. Took about 8 weeks. Very happy with it.

Periodic Contributor

Well lets see. I bought my first convertable in 1965 when I was 18 & my first SUV in 1975. I still have one of each. So much for change.

Contributor

I retired last year at 55 and replaced my 15 year old Dodge Stratus (which was preceded by a Dodge Spirit) with a Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Sport.  I've loved exploring the SW and knew that I'd now have more time to explore the backroads and hit sites off the beaten path - thus the Jeep with the backroad upgrades.  So the choice was more about how I'd be using it than about age per se.

Turns out it's a lot easier for me to get in and out of as the seat is much higher - I'm a big 6'4".  That ease of entry is something I'll keep in mind with future vehicle purchase.

Most of the electronics don't do anything for me.  I like my SD card's music and listen to the radio now and then, but still look over my shoulder when backing up even when I check the rear camera.  I didn't have the dealer enable anything else.

Re the discussion about chips and repairs...  I don't know what effect chips have on repair rates and costs.  But I do appreciate some of the simplicity that's been lost over the years.  Back in '88 a rock bounced from a truck into one of my headlights while I was on vacation.  I had never repaired anything on a car before, but stopped at Kmart where I bought a replacement headlight and some tools and replaced it myself.

Today, with all the info the car displays for me in mind, I just wish someone would improve the "Check Engine" light so that it displays the actual code

Super Contributor

I'm putting off crossing that bridge, (getting a new car), as long as I can.  The car I have now is a '94 Cavalier with 160 plus and is definitely the best one I've ever driven.  It just runs and runs.  In looking at a new one, I really have no idea what I would get.  Like I say, it's a bridge......

I am 82 years old and I have a foed Explorer. I wouldn't go any smaller.

Contributor

When I got my first car it was the sporty, albet cheepest version, 60's Mustang.  Now as I am retired, all a really want is something comfortable, easy to get in and out of, and some tech that I understand. All within a reasonable price.

Social Butterfly

• Yes, I agree.  When men get old, they want a Buick!  You never see a young man in a Buick.
Social Butterfly

@2Papa wrote:
  • Yes, I agree.  When men get old, they want a Buick!  You never see a young man in a Buick.

To be fair I've never known an young man who owned a Buick. But back in the 80s my friend's extremely hot girlfriend drove a Buick Gran Sport, and I did see him drive it, too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=buick+gran+sport+455&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiZ4v-uxovpAhXIVt8KHQNWAOUQ2...

455 Gran Sport

Conversationalist

Back in the 1970's, Buick had the Riviera, Gran Sport, and Regal to attract ypunger buyers. Today, Buick is using the Encore and the Regal. Buick is trying; success is debateable.

As you age, taste changes because of needs and physical ability change. Try getting in and out of a low-slung sports car when you are old enough to collect social security.

Regular Contributor

The average age of a Buick owner is 57. You could also say that Cadillac, Lincoln, Toyota Avalon, Lexus, etc. fit this age category. BTW, Have you seen the Regal and Encore?
Regular Contributor

I do agree.  I've gone full circle.  I started in 1972 with a Toyota Corona, and now have a Honda Fit.   In the middle were larger cars, pickups, etc.   I've gone back to those easy to park cars.  I love the reverse camera.  I haven't run over anyone's child or dog.  I can charge my phone while driving.  I can get in the front seat easily.  Functional.  I'll decorate with bumper stickers.

Contributor

Oh yes I agree.  I bought a Buick Encore recently because it is so much easier to get in and out of it. I have Intellelink, great Bluetooth sound, back up camera and the back seats are easily flattened to allow more room for auctions and heavy shopping at Costco.  

Conversationalist

As you age, many factors will change that will affect your choices. First of all, your choices change; I can no longer own a Plymouth, a Pontiac, an Olds, or a Mercury. But now I own a Hyundai.

When you are younger, your choice may be dictated by want of something cool, sporty, or fast. You get married and raise a family, vehicles may become appliances, so your choices are affected by need. Become an empty nester and wants could come into play again, but the wants could be different unless you want the muscle car you couldn't have when you were in your 20's.

Status symbols and dream cars have changed. Many people presently want the latest in utility vehicles instead of luxury sedans.

Economic need and fuel prices will always affect our choices. 

Periodic Contributor

I've driven Hyundai Sonatas since 1989.  I've owned three to date.  They are comfortable, reasonably priced, ride well and after all, there aren't many that can beat the mileage or the service waranty 10yrs, 100 thousand miles.  My latest purchase is a hybrid electric/gas relay engine.  The dealership owner, now a good friend used it.  There's a brand new type of hybrid by Hyundai this year & he ordered one for him to use @ the dealership.  He invited me to see the hybrid he had to sell.  I bought it for the safety features alone!  It gets ( I kid you not...) 58 miles to the gallon, measures my Eco-Score, alerts me when my tire pressure drops by 2 pounds, whatever service needs to be done, has all the bells & whistles... GPS, Lane Tracker, Back Assist etc.

I must say, If a terrorist is going to take over my car while I'm driving then atleast I can always lock up the gear box as I can even drive my car standard if I want to! ( that's one of the features most other cars do not have.)  I'm certain that evil minds will do what evil minds do but; I'm a firm believer in making my life as easy as possible, reduce stress, maintain that which will break down without mindfull attention ( much like our health, body & the aging process) & pray I don't accidently drive others through hell as I pray to God that my humor & positive viewpoint remains stable and reality based; the good and the bad!

It's akin to birthing and raising children in the Forest Gump Family ... Personally, I prefer a box of Austrian Dark Chocolates but plain Hersey's Kisses will pleasure my tastebuds too !

Happy Trails !

Contributor

I have always only purchased used cars in a price range set by my budgeted allowance. But I must say that my last choice was based mostly on the need to be able to get in & out of the vehicle with ease and with respect for my poor old knees. I am thinking my next choice will need to be an SUV so that I will not have to bend down too far to get in--lol. I am not a big fan of all the tech gadgetry either, which I tend to think is just another electronic sensor/gadget that will malfunction, cause problems, and cost a lot to repair.

Honored Social Butterfly

I don't think those safety features are - or should be - designed for seniors, because the last time I checked, even young drivers don't have eyes in the back of their heads to be able to see cross-traffic .. and frankly they seem to be "distracted" a lot more than seniors, and need the help!

I've been pretty consistent with my cars, except for 2 outliers, I've had 3 Toyota Camrys .. each for a long stretch of time. For me reliability & safety are #1, and they've had it, and accessibility has always been good too. With my current 2005 car going into its 12th year, I plan to get a Camry Hybrid, with all the safety features available, and a GPS. (Would you believe it's becoming impossible to get paper street maps?!) Anything that can improve rear/side visibility is welcome. Maybe the car after that will be self-driving, because I'd appreciate that at night going to unfamiliar places!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Regular Contributor

When I was young my choice of car was "what I could afford".  Now, having just bought a car 6 months ago I can say I wanted some special features and comfort and was willing and able to pay for them.  Loved sports cars until I found that getting in and out was becoming a challenge.  I've been an SUV lover for the last 15 years including the last car I purchased.

Honored Social Butterfly

No. I don't like all the new chip-driven devices on cars. More stuff to go wrong and have fixed. Not sure how well some of these features work.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Contributor

It is laughable to say "chip-driven" cars can go wrong more.  This is really the sign of not being very tech oriented.  Need we go back to the hay eating animals?   

I did have a new Ford, where the chip did go wrong.  I was driving down a road.  Everything stopped. no steering, brakes, etc.  Had to have a wrecker haul it to the dealership.  And this board costs over $400. to replace, thank god for the warranty.  

But even appliances now use chips, it the coming of age, 

Honored Social Butterfly

"....It is laughable to say "chip-driven" cars can go wrong more.  This is really the sign of not being very tech oriented....".

I'm ex IT, in my former life. I didn't say chip-driven cars can go wrong more. I'm saying the more chips, the more things that can go wrong, and do. I realize, especially as an environmentalist, that getting rid of carbs and having chip-driven injection has greatly enhanced efficiency. In theory, chips shouldn't fail. But put under conditions of heat, cold, and rain, they do fail, or as I've found out with my Ford C-Max Hybrid, have 4 recalls to change the programming on them. 

You yourself had a total system failure. That is very wrong.  That is certainly not an improvement in safety.

And Epster is dead-to-rights about hacking. DW and I will not purchase appliances that connect to the internet. If you (rladdi) don't believe hacking is a clear and present danger, you are the one not tech savvy. 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."

I have owned three Chrysler Corporation vehicles loaded with the latest safety features like rain sensitive windshield wipers, cruise control, cross traffic notifications, memory seats, navigation systems, satellite radio, auto dimming mirrors, and others. They all have worked well and continue to do so well into over 150,000 miles. I have not had any failures in any of these systems. My latest is a 2017 Jeep Cherokee with adaptive cruise control, cross traffic notification, front sensors, automatic rain sensitive wipers, auto dimming mirrors, memory seat, navigation, chip audio, and many other features. These keep me safer and have been reliable for over 6,000 miles. If they are as reliable as the tec features have been on my other cars, I will not be surprised. Do you think is was fun to try to start a 1971 Mercury station wagon in -30 weather? You know, set the choke, engage the starter, pray, and off it goes? Sometimes it would not go. Now, it is rare if the car will not start.
Contributor

I currently own a Dodge Neon with the handling package. I'm looking to replace it but want something that handles well but American cars don't offer a handling package except on high end cars that I can't afford so I'm looking at used Mercedes and Volvos.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP