Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Do You Like Self-Driving Cars? Why Or Why Not?

Trusted Contributor

Do You Like Self-Driving Cars? Why Or Why Not?

Me personally, I don't care for self driving cars because I wouldn't feel safe in one, due to the real probability of the controls being hacked and taken over.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@j196497j wrote:

Me personally, I don't not like self driving cars because wouldn't feel safe in, due to the real probability of the controls being hacked and taken over.

💥An awesomely interesting discussion created by @j196497j !!!!💥

Kudos
Views
Anonymous
Not applicable

💥Monday - June 14, 2021💥

Awesome post @j196497j !!! 😁 I do not think it is safe. I hope I never have to be around one in traffic. Lol, one of my trips to Walmart had me stressed out over a new self-driving cleaning machine. 🤣😂 Angela

yes to see if it's safe first.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@anthonye499575 wrote:

yes to see if it's safe first.

💥Hi @anthonye499575 have you seen one? Angela💥

Silver Conversationalist

No!  Besides the hacking issues, and scarier to me:  Think of the glitches that we find on our phones, computers,  etc  when they come to market or when some existing or new software programs have some kind of bug or need patches. Not uncommon. Even for not-new or not-complex applications. Just no. Bumper cars belong at the carnival, not on the road!

Periodic Contributor

Too many hackers and too many things to go wrong. I will not ever have a self-driving car. It's just too easy to hack into computers and such now and I just don't believe that they'll be able to make them as secure as they need to be. And I actually like driving. I don't like riding as a passenger.

Regular Contributor

Nope. No Way. No how.

Too many variables left to chance. Technology is wonderful. When it works. It is not uncommon for so called "self driving cars" to have serious accidents even with a human along for the ride to oversee any problems. People have already been killed by this technology.

I also think it is just a program partially funded by the govnerment to get people out of their cars. So government can keep track of people. Limit where they can go and where they cannot go. I still love and enjoy driving my own vehicles.

Contributor

Yes I would I think It would save lives and give humans that cannot drive access to drivability I have TBI Fibromyalgia and so on so I shouldn't drive I think that this a huge step in the right direction I would eventually like to start an air taxi service in Washington state I hopefully with God willing will be moving back home to Gig Harbor Washington To hold my daughter Ashley for the first time and meet my two beautiful grandchildren that I have been blessed with At this point I am homeless due to domestic violence and descrimination Profiling should be against the law Thank you for your time and consideration I absolutely love AARP

I like the idea but how long will it take to perfect it .

Contributor

Yes because they save lives

Periodic Contributor

Only if EVERY vehcile is self-driving, otherwise we are at the mercy of those "free wheelers"...candidly i think added safety features are great, but not self driving at this point at least, maybe in 25 years...make the current vehciles much safer though.  Self driving sounds like another opportunity for car makers to increase the price of their vehciles even higher!!.

Contributor

I like the Idea. I hope to live a long time and at some point, one of many things can happen that will make me an unsafe driver. Eye site, Hearing, Failing heart, Slowing/clarity of thought. A self-driving car would allow me to retain my independence. 

Having the option to have a self-driving car will make it easier for me, a doctor, or a loved one to have me stop driving.

Also, people who never drove before or have problems with drinking, drugs could use this option and have the freedom of personal transportation without needing family or friends to drive them. This would reduce the risk to others.

Contributor

I look forward to the day they are available. I have a newer car that has built in safety equipment but am excited about the introduction of driverless cars.

Periodic Contributor

I applaud the effort to move us (carefully and safely) into the next generation of self-driving cars.  Many people worry that they are not safe; I think the companies moving us towards self-driving cards need to focus on marketing explaining how dangerous it is NOT to have self-driving cards.  While accidents involving self-driving cards are tragic, killing 37,000+ Americans on the road each year is so much worse.  And it's (almost) time to change!

Contributor

I would definitely buy one if I could afford one.  I am 75 years old and in good health, but I have noticed a decline in my alertness while driving.  I am a lot slower in reaction time and adverse weather conditions seems to stress me out a lot more.  I especially dislike driving at night.  And I am becoming terrified about driving in city traffic as it seems people are wizzing all around me.  I still like the convenience of having a car at my beckoning rather than public transportation.  I just try to avoid driving in the conditions that stress me out.  I feel a lot more comfortable driving in places that I am completely familiar with and have driven many times before.

Trusted Contributor

The idea fascinates me, but no, I wouldn't buy one unless EVERYONE else gets one, too. It takes just one yahoo, and one of the commandments I learned in drivers' ed that has stood the test of time is to "drive as if the other person is about to make a mistake and plan accordingly." It's a corollary to "when you drive you're also driving all the cars around you."

Any automated car had better have a manual override.

Periodic Contributor

At this point in my life (75), while the idea seems quite interesting/helpful, we would needs lots of time to guarantee the safety of these auto-cars...ensure the tehcnoloogy is in place, training of drivers  in place, and pedestrians/children/animals, road fixtures, etc. are safe and aware of the tech too....lots to do, lots of time needed to get it done, safely for all.

Contributor

I am 71 and I know my reflex is slower this would help older people a lot. I would love to test drive a self driving car, I feel its the way to go and would lower a lot of accendents

Contributor

Personally, I do not.  I am not sure that it is even safe for anyone.  The hackers and crooks are there out there hacking into other things, cell phones, government offices and buildings along with businesses.

How do you know WHO actually is the criminal in this case?  I would not want to be in the vehicle and have no control on where it goes or what it does, yet be the one that has to take responsibility for what happens. 

Only if the person in the vehicle should have complete control. 

Enough said.

Honored Social Butterfly

I was thinking the other day that a self driving RV might actually be a cool thing. Set the motorhome to arrive at your destination, then go back and get some dinner and shut eye. That way you don't have to sit still for hours, which we all know is terrible for your health, and you can arrive at your destination (in my case it will be a trailhead) well rested.  

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Contributor

I  love the idea of totally self driving cars...the freedom they offer for seniors and disabled folks is incredible.  I  feel they will cut auto accidents by 70% minimum.  

My only complaint is that I will never be able to afford one, altho with the slow roll out it is unlikely I will still be alive when they become mainstream. Still I have been thinking of them since I started reading science fiction in high school...glad they are finally on the horizon.

Contributor

No worries about being able to afford buying a self driving car. The plan is to just rent one when you need one. That improves effiencies for all stakeholders both suppliers and consumers. So hop a plane to Phoenix and go for a test ride. Google got them on the road right now! Jeff

Retired Community Manager

Contributor

Self-driving cars will reduce the carnage on America's roadways 10 fold, from more than 30,000 deaths to less than 3000 deaths annually!.   They will be the salvation for the independence of seniors not to mention the blind, and physically and intellectually handicapped. Reckless and drunken drivers will be relegated to the backseat or pay exorbitant insurance premiums for the privilege to disobey "rules of the road." Believe it or not, the insurance companies are all for driverless vehicles, including semi-tractor trailers!  People won't have to own or maintain a car they will just hail one on demand. Since cars will be better utilized there will be less traffic congestion because self driving cars will have "deep learning" and teach each other where the potholes and local road hazards are. No more road rage either!  Jeff Martin, M.D.

Periodic Contributor

Bravo!
Regular Contributor

I believe that once they are perfected a little more it's a great concept.

For one it would stop Drunk drivers, Cell phone Junkies, and Lead foots.

Second I would enjoy just relaxing or reading a magazine.

Norma Jean Ray
Honored Social Butterfly

I don't like the idea of self-driving cars because I just don't think they are safe.  Too many people have already been killed by or while using a self-driving vehicle.  Maybe, if given more time and science, they may be able to make this technology available to the public and the concern about the dangers will then have been resolved.   But we are not there yet!

Recognized Social Butterfly

LydiaN586309,

I agree with your post.

Contributor

No way, This Technology is years away from being safe for humens to trust. They need lots more work done on it.

If the car companies try to force it on the public and the actdents happen, there will all kinds of law suits. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP