Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Do You Have A Good Circle Of Family And Friends?

Social Butterfly

Do You Have A Good Circle Of Family And Friends?

My family circle was never particularly large or strong,  and has shrunk a bit over the years; but, some of the connections are stronger now.  I have two really good friends.

Do you have at least one family member and/or friend, that you have a strong connection to?

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hello! I'm new here. I have close connections to my Mom (85); my 2 brothers and my 2 sons. Friends I've had seem to be in the category of "A friend in need is a friend indeed." So I've lost several, by choice. Pretty much a loner at this age of 67, though it's been that way for at least 5 years. Problem is I'm comfortable with it, but when I step out and look inward, seems weird! 🤔

Social Butterfly

@Readywriter1 , Welcome to the community!  In this day and age, ( sadly )  it's very rare to have close connections to your parents and ALL of your siblings.  That is awesome  you are all so close.  Something to celebrate for sure.  Friends come in lots of shapes and sizes.  My husband and I have a Rummi Kube "friend."  We get together every few weeks solely to play that game. Then there are friends that you could tell anything to ( vent? ).  Sounds like your siblings are in that category. Everyone's needs and wants are different. I wouldn't let external ( the world ) dictate what is right for you.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Hello and welcome to the community.. I can relate to what you said as I am basically the same.. A loaner by choice..  There are times when someone to do things with would seem nice but it also seems with that come a degree of extra drama.. I guess at this stage of life I'm in anti drama mode and comfortable that way.. Just wanted to welcome you to No-drama Zone.. I think you'll like it here..

Social Butterfly

@LeeS4949 , I agree that friendships can have a degree of drama.  Sometimes they can become toxic.  There are times to walk away.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist

Its a true test of friendship for sure.. My best friend in the world I've known since we were 5years old.. Others "say" they are friends but fall away very quickly.. All part of life's wonderful learning curve..

Social Butterfly

@LeeS4949  There's that old saying, friendship is for a reason, a season or a lifetime.  I think of all the milestones: school friends, friendships when you become a parent, co-workers, new friends through a geographical move, friends when people go through a divorce or loss of  loved ones. 

Silver Conversationalist

I hadn't heard that old saying.. Luv it,very true.. It seems that most if not all "friendships" fit into those 3 categories..

0 Kudos
Contributor

i feel very, very lucky that i do! very close with my brother (twin) and a large community of friends spread all over. I do worry a bit about how all that might change when i stop working--just because a good chunk of those friends are people i work with now. 

Social Butterfly

@DaleS845359  I've always found the "twin" dynamic fascinating.  My closest friend is a twin, and I've always been a bit envious of their close bond. Sometimes friendships take some real intentionality. Finding time to go out with your current "work buddies" now, for casual get togethers, can help ease the transition when you retire.

Silver Conversationalist

My brother.. We are closer than brothers if that makes any sense.. We've been close all our lives and then that feeling of love and support was magnified a million fold in 1988 when he donated a kidney to me and saved my life.. I've had a glorious life thanks in no small part to him.. The day he was born was the greatest day of my life..

Periodic Contributor

You are lucky to have your brother! This story proves that family makes us stronger.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist

I am incredibly lucky.. Also welcome to the forum  😀

Social Butterfly

Wow! @LeeS4949  thank you for sharing about your brother.  What an amazing gift!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Dysfunctional, fragmented family leaves only my brother alive and doing well. All three other members of my small (5) immediate family are deceased.

My brother grew up very different from me and we were almost always at odds with each other. Time healed us and now we talk at least once a week.

He is in CT and I am in SC (USA) so I only get together for two or three days once every couple of years. I'm an independent person so I'm OK with no family support.

Friends, well, not really. I have cordial and often pleasant relations with many people, especially those who share my interest in Amateur Radio. However, I have no solid friends. That's been a problem for me throughout my lifetime.

I persevere.

Social Butterfly

@dv60441075  I'm glad to hear that you and your brother have stronger bonds now! Good friends can be difficult to cultivate.  It's great that you have found people who share your hobby.  Maybe from that group, you can expand your social network, and discover other things you have in common.  The best of luck to you. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP