Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Clearer Explanations of Eligibility Requirements for Supplemental Pension for those 65 and Older

Clearer Explanations of Eligibility Requirements for Supplemental Pension for those 65 and Older

I am a USNavy Veteran who served during the VietNam Era. I have a low income and so decided to make application with the VA for the pension available to those over 65 who served during that time period.

While filling out the elctronic application I found some sections unclear and quite confusing , as it is a combination application for COMPENSATION and also PENSION. (Each has different eligibility requirements and questions).

My questions are: 1) If my daughter claims me as her dependent for IRS purposes am I ineligible for the pension benefits? And 2) Do I have to include any financial gifts from her as income? And 3) Does HER income level effect MY eligibility? I have tried getting clear answers from the data/info provided with the e-application but there is nothing that specifically clarifies my question. Also, when calling the VA directly it took over 2 hours to get a counselor on the line and then he seemed to know nothing more than I did! This is quite frustrating, as you can imagine.

Are there any other Veterans who have dealt with this daunting application procedure and who have served during the Vietanam Era, 65 years or older and claimed as dependents by another family member? I need VERY SPECIFIC RESPONSES TO VERY SPECIFIC QUESTIONS - NOT general information.

Can you offer any help with this application ?

Regular Contributor

I understand this was posted 5 years ago and I also see it generated no responses so hopefully this Veteran got the help they needed and in response to this I will add in the hopes that this information may help another Veteran that may not know of the assistance available to them at the local level to help navigate the vast bureaucracy of the VA.

I am positive of the existence in at least 4 states of County Level Veterans Service Offices (VSO) that are employed by the State or County not the VA to assist in just this manner described by the veteran in this posting. I can't speak for the accuracy of this link but found this website with possible links to all state/county VSO's or just call your local county courthouse and ask about the availability in your local community.

https://www.longtermcarelink.net/ref_list_state_county_veterans_service_officers.htm

0 Kudos

I am a USNavy Veteran who served during the VietNam Era. I have a low income and so decided to make application with the VA for the pension available to those over 65 who served during that time period.

While filling out the elctronic application I found some sections unclear and quite confusing , as it is a combination application for COMPENSATION and also PENSION. (Each has different eligibility requirements and questions).

My questions are: 1) If my daughter claims me as her dependent for IRS purposes am I ineligible for the pension benefits? And 2) Do I have to include any financial gifts from her as income? And 3) Does HER income level effect MY eligibility? I have tried getting clear answers from the data/info provided with the e-application but there is nothing that specifically clarifies my question. Also, when calling the VA directly it took over 2 hours to get a counselor on the line and then he seemed to know nothing more than I did! This is quite frustrating, as you can imagine.

Are there any other Veterans who have dealt with this daunting application procedure and who have served during the Vietanam Era, 65 years or older and claimed as dependents by another family member? I need VERY SPECIFIC RESPONSES TO VERY SPECIFIC QUESTIONS - NOT general information.

Can you offer any help with this application ?

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP