Explore your flexible work options with AARP's Flexible Work Online Expo from 2-5 p.m. ET Tuesday! Register now.

Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Are you a good neighbor?

Message 1 of 22

Oh, Wow!!!   You all are such wonderful neighbors!!!   I hope your neighbors are equally as helpful and attentive as you all are.  Me?  I guess I have to step up my game at being a better neighbor 'cause I'm nowhere near you guys' and gals' league.   But I surely am inspired to do better and to "be" better!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 22

I'm perfect neighbor! Some of my neighbors don't even know I really exist))

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 22

I love to bake so every summer I go down the street, stopping at every house with something I've made from my neighbor's apples.  I bring our neighbors home made breads because they love having something homemade.  I also babysit whenever I can. We have 30 great grandchildren so we have lots of opportunity (and privilege) to babysit.   Our neighbor had to make a visit to the ER one evening this week so the two little boys were at our house for about 3 hours until she could come home.  I volunteer for our local hospital by serving on the foundation board as secretary/treasurer.  We have a large fund raiser going on now so I have a lot of donations to track and send receipts to.  I'm on our church hospitality committee so my co chair and I are in charge of getting all the food for our meals, we feed about 45 women at our meetings.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 22

For my part I loan my equipment to my neighbors, or use it to help them out. From my rototiller to my farm tractor.

But more importantly I am so proud of my wife for what she does with her 4-H club. Her kids learn how to do "visual presentation" on any subject they choose. They compete at the county and state level. If they win they go on to Nationals in Kentucky. Every year my wife has at least one member going to Nationals for 10 years or more. Doesn't matter if they win at Nationals, what matters is the confidence they gain from the experience. Many attribute the success they have had in college, or life, to that experience.

That makes me feel warm and fuzzy. I love all those kids because they are all trying to better themselves. What more could you ask for?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 22
I helped her set up a flower garden to improve her front of her house...l also help her shovel snow when it is wintertime and she has to work late.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 22

For one I water and mow part of the lawn, and shovel snow in the winter, for another I feed and play with the cat when they're away, and for the block I have hosted block parties. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 22

I volunteer at our senior center, Veterans hospital, and AARP doing taxes.  I do grocery shopping for two of my friends since they are u nable to get out any more.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 22

A neighbor of mine had her car reposed.  I gave her a ride to the dealer to try and get her car back. Since it was going to take a few days before she could get it back and she had to go to work. I let her borrow my extra car. I think this put me in the good neighbors category . 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 22

My neighbor boy takes care of his elderly mother and this past summer had to have his knee replaced.  I cut his lawn and shoveled his driveway until he was back on his feet and brought them afew dinners on the side.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 22

Barbra my neighbor has an autistic grandson she manages and he is about 6 ft tall and can be very Distructive. He gets up real early one day and she was sleeping and he decided to play with the faucet in the bathroom. The Autism kick in and he keep turning it until it popped off, which must have been a thousand turns back and forth, but non the less it shot water into the bathroom. I get a call that she can't turn off the valve (has arthritis). I go over and turn it off and see that about 2 inches of water had seep into both bathrooms and hallway rugs. She's frantic and her grandsons was asking me to fix it. So I went back to my house and grab my wet/dry shop Vac. and proceeded to suck out all the water I could and then brought over a floor fan to dry out the rest. That was just another day with my neighbor Barbra and the boy who always say's "John you funny". Oh yeah!Smiley Very Happy

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views