Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Are Seniors Going Home to Parents?

Message 1 of 4
It's probably a good deal for the younger generations. Too often, they tend to lean on the older generations and the older generations end up taking care of the younger ones financially and that isn't fair to the older ones. Also, consider sometimes children can't keep from telling their parents for instance what to do. My daughter does this and is rearranging things to suit herself even if the house doesn't belong to her. I have to look for things and can't find them because tey have been moved. By far the most annoying is having someone you raised trying to run your life.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

I get the feeling that people of several generations these days are happy to give up their adult independence, by moving in with family members who don't need their physical or financial assistance, because it's easier & cheaper. Single adults pay their parents a fraction of rental expenses, and living at home comes with laundry & meal services .. and they can spend their money on more expensive cars or vacations.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

@Soosie wrote:

There has been news about adult children moving back home.  This usually means kids in their twenties.  I know of a couple of seniors past fifty who have moved home or never left the nest.  I am not talking about someone who needs additional care for their day to day living.  I am talking about able bodied adults who are seniors.  This seems to be a reverse in roles.

I wonder if this is a growing trend?

Soosie

It may be.

Especially if the "seniors" didn't save for the later years and it is an economic decision.

But, if we really think back, having children, parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents in one home wasn't the exception back then; it was the rule. 

It is still the rule in some cultures today.

The dispersion of the nuclear family may be one of the things wrong with our society today.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Are Seniors Going Home to Parents?

Message 4 of 4

There has been news about adult children moving back home.  This usually means kids in their twenties.  I know of a couple of seniors past fifty who have moved home or never left the nest.  I am not talking about someone who needs additional care for their day to day living.  I am talking about able bodied adults who are seniors.  This seems to be a reverse in roles.

I wonder if this is a growing trend?

Soosie

Kudos
Views
Replies