Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Anyone Else Enjoy Being A Loner?

Message 21 of 25

@retiredtraveler wrote:

I'm with you. Now, it might very well be different to be a loner who is unmarried. I consider myself a loner, but do have constant companionship with DW (sometimes too much after 40 years). Smiley Wink

We also have a fair amount of family/inlaws.

On the other hand, I do some travel by myself, including two-week trips to the UK every year. I enjoy that. I have some interaction with people at the B&B's where I stay, but I walk/hike by myself most of the day, and find that enjoyable.  

I think you have to define the term 'loner' in context.

@retiredtraveler Hmmm, yes. I see DH & me in that comment about too much companionship with one's spouse. Not lately, for DH has been driving into the company office, but in his previous assignment he found it more efficient to work from home and Skype into meetings. That assignment took almost 3 years, and there were times we got on one another's nerves, so yes, I hear ya. 

As for the definition of loner, while I cannot speak for the OP, for me, at least the Huffington Post piece (link posted in an earlier comment) describes me to a T. I should maybe correct something. Below I used the word shy to describe myself, but that's not accurate. Truth is I have always been uncomfortable with the spotlight. Shy, I just read, is when someone worries about what others think of them. That's not one of my isms. Smiley Happy

Back to solitude: my equilibrium is fed by solitude. I will often retreat into solitude after a big gathering has all but wrung the life out of me and come back fully charged.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 25

I'm with you. Now, it might very well be different to be a loner who is unmarried. I consider myself a loner, but do have constant companionship with DW (sometimes too much after 40 years). Smiley Wink

We also have a fair amount of family/inlaws.

On the other hand, I do some travel by myself, including two-week trips to the UK every year. I enjoy that. I have some interaction with people at the B&B's where I stay, but I walk/hike by myself most of the day, and find that enjoyable.  

I think you have to define the term 'loner' in context.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 25

@Soosie  I know you didn't ask for 'help', and this isn't that (anyway you don't need help: you just want your space, am I right? Smiley Happy). Instead it's intended for any interested parties who might be drawn to this topic. Smiley Happy

Some reading on introverts and loners:

Huffington Post on ways introverts interact differently with the world than do extroverts: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/07/physical-behavior-of-introverts_n_6069438.html

Psychology Today's Field Guide to Loners and Introverts: https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200703/field-guide-the-loner-the-real-insiders

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 25

LOL! We may be of the same tribe!

A number of years ago I had a huge crew of church kids come over to repaint the house exterior and tend to some landscaping needs. At one point in the 2-day invasion --it really did feel like that-- I had to remove myself from the activity to do some calming breathing exercises. I was so glad to see them leave!

Smiley Happy

I have always, despite my love of exchanging ideas with a wide array of people, really been a loner. Shy even, though I do realize that might seem impossible. Introverts, though, often hide behind bursts of extrovertism. Or so I am told. Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Anyone Else Enjoy Being A Loner?

Message 25 of 25

I like having friends, but find that I have more aquaintances rather than friends, especially in my current state of S. C.  Most of the women have been married forever and are always taking care of grandchildren.  Since I don't fit this category, I have learned to really enjoy my own company.  Sometimes I think I may have gone too far.  

An example of this was last Saturday.  I hired a Handyman who came to my home to fix a leaky kitchen faucet, put two cabinets together and a large computer desk.  He was very slow with his work, but he did do a good job.  I was paying him by the hour and I had taken enough cash for 5 hours thinking that would be the maximum time he would spend.  As it ticked to the 7 hour mark, I had to plan to give cash and write a check.  I think I developed a twitch about this time.

I was so tired of him by the time he left and I think he was of my mouth.  It was pure joy to see his truck back out of the driveway.  My poor Pebbles cat hid out the entire 7 hours.  That meant no food or bathroom breaks for her.  As he left, she came in and I have no idea what she was saying, but I think it was something like, "Is that man gone?  Do you realize how hard this has been for me?"  On Sunday morning she was still mouthing her complaints.

I told her we will continue to be old beaters together with no one coming to spend the entire day.

Soosie

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors