Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

๐Ÿš— Any Vehicle CARE TIPS? Do You REPLACE Your Vehicle Frequently?

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿš— Any Vehicle CARE TIPS? Do You REPLACE Your Vehicle Frequently?

โ–ถ๏ธTo reply, click on reply button at bottom of this post. Enter your text. Click reply button again.โ—€๏ธ

***READ the comments and/or ADD a comment***

SOME of us luv the feel and smell of a NEW vehicle.

While the REST of us will do anything to AVOID those vehicle PAYMENTS. ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

Which are YOU? ๐Ÿค”

Any maintenance TIPS to share? ๐Ÿค”

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

(3 comments) Well, I use to be the NEW vehicle person.

NOW, I am hanging on to my 2006 Hyundai Elantra for as long as she can be fixed. That's the other Old Lady.

As far as maintenance - I stay on top of stuff like oil changes, tune ups and fix stuff ASAP as they break. Lol, my Check Engine Light wore me out LAST YEAR. Hoping this year it gives me a break. Car is aging and ORIGINAL parts are needing to be replaced.

Nicole ๐Ÿ™ƒ

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Spray (or Fog) your Undercarriage with Hydraulic Oil or Transmission fluid in the fall before the snow flies.  Keeps the road chemistry from sticking to, eating, or further eating the underside. Best do this before the vehicle is EVER introduced to winter driving if possible. Not good to place a salty vehicle indoor in the winter either, that's when this chemistry can become more caustic.

I've lost more vehicles to rust damage than mechanical failure, although the rust can lead to mechanical failure on many underside parts. 

Vehicles are the WORST place to put your money, I tend to drive older vehicles now, & thinking back any time I had a nicer or newer vehicle some rube would hit it, or damage it pronto. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous,

Hyundai's have generally been well built cars.

In fact, the more recent Hyundai's have been well thought of by car reviewers like Consumer Reports.

That is why we own two of them, a 2011 Genesis (one of the best cars I have ever owned with the least amount of issues of any car I have owned in the past), and a newer Santa Fe.

One thing to think about, Nicole, if you get in the NEW CAR market. New cars are like rolling computers. So many "safety" warning lights, bells, and buzzers...many new cars have Global Positioning Capabilities.....many can stop you, warn you when to go, automatically apply brakes, etc. etc. It is very disconcerting.

There is one thing that doesn't change for Hyundai's though......they depreciate just as bad now as they did when they were thought of as a cheap, poorly constructed vehicle.

My twelve year old Genesis is worth about $6K while a new one can be over $60K!!!!!!

So.... I guess I'll be taking care of my car too...... unless I win the lottery , of course.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Co worker got his mirror knocked off by a large Pickup... $1800 for the mirror, & another grand to "install it" so many sensors & stuff in there. 

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP