Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Any Genealogy buffs in here?

I'm new to the community, so I just searched through the posts and found only two posts referring to genealogy at all. I am very surprised! I think it is so important for us to keep records and collect information etc to pass to our next generations. I know that as my elders pass on, I find genealogy important for helping me remain connected to this world. Any thoughts??

Bronze Conversationalist

Oooh, I was just hoping to see a thread on genealogy. I thank Ancestry dot com for unlocking the mysteries of my bio peeps, and discovering I have lots of siblings. It's so amazing to uncover links to historical figures too who were taught about in school. I would love it if this thread got more active. It's such a fun topic.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I love genealogy and have been a member of Ancestry.com since 2007.  Memories fade and documents get lost.  I started working on a tree so my children would have a record of their ancestry.  As a result of my work and that of my cousin, our female relatives can become DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) and Daughters of the War of 1812 members.  I think researching one's ancestry is like trying to piece together one gigantic puzzle.  It can be frustrating at times but oh so satisfying when you find that missing piece.  

Periodic Contributor

Exactly! I think the puzzle aspect is what makes it so addicting. Every time I log off it's a cliff hanger! I really wish people before me would have been as thoughtful as you are. Luckily I have a cousin who was into scrapbooking, and so she has a lot of info to share. I know my maternal grandmother's line traces back to the Mayflower, and I have thought about formally documenting that. But these days, I'm kept busy helping people figure out their DNA surprises and unknown parentage cases. I haven't worked on my own tree in months! 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @DawnLRG! I recently joined ancestry.com and have started to fill in my family tree. I agree that it helps me remain connected to the world as my elders pass on. Through my search, I discovered that my great-great-great-grandmother immigrated from the Czech Republic to Minnesota. I had no idea that I had Czech heritage! I also thought it was cool that the town she ended up in is called New Prague. Of course in Minnesota, it's pronounced New Pray-gue 😂

Have you learned any new things about your family?

Periodic Contributor

Wow! That's really interesting! I learn so much world history doing genealogy research. Recent clients have had me researching the Azores islands, Lithuania and Equatorial Guinea! Good luck, and please do share interesting findings that aren't too personal! (sorry I didn't respond sooner. I didn't get a notification.)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP