Your pain isn't like anyone else's, and science is homing in on better treatments. Read about the newest ways to break pain's grip.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

RE: protein

Message 1 of 3

In Response to protein by leslie55

Hello, Leslie!

Dogs, like humans, need a nourishing, wholesome diet that provides all the required nutrients, including none in excess.

If dogs get fed too much meat (including organ meat like liver), but not enough calcium, they can develop problems with their bones.

If you want to feed a home-prepared diet, you need to use a recipe that's been formulated to cover the nutritional bases for your dog. Otherwise, you should use a commercially prepared diet that's been labeled as complete for all life stages.

If you think your pet already has a nutritional health problem, please see your veterinarian right away. Even if it's just "garden variety" arthritis, there are so many things we can do about that now, from supplements to massage and acupuncture to new pain medications, that you'll want to have a long talk with your veterinarian about that as well.

Best wishes to you and your dog!

Wags,

Dr. Marty Becker

"America's Veterinarian"

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

protein

Message 2 of 3

I am wondering why my dog has such severe arthritis.  I have read that too much meat is not good for the bones in humans so can that be part of the problem for dogs. I use to feed mine a lot of liver (cooked), then I was advised against that.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

protein

Message 2 of 3

I am wondering why my dog has such severe arthritis.  I have read that too much meat is not good for the bones in humans so can that be part of the problem for dogs. I use to feed mine a lot of liver (cooked), then I was advised against that.

Kudos
Views
Replies